Katipo

My hobbyist method for using Glycerine/Oxalic

Posted (edited)

Nice work Katipo. 

Only possible problem is you are using quite a bit less acid than most other people are using, but please update in due course  it will be very interesting to see how it works. 🙂

Also, would be interesting to do a mite count now and another later, or at the least, assess the brood to see if there is any pms now and again later. 👍

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing @Katipo  

How long do they last in the brood nest? Do you find that the bees chew out the hole around the tooth pick so that the strip drops down?

Also, how long have you been using them and how often do you replace them?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Alastair said:

Nice work Katipo. 

Only possible problem is you are using quite a bit less acid than most other people are using, but please update in due course  it will be very interesting to see how it works. 🙂

Also, would be interesting to do a mite count now and another later, or at the least, assess the brood to see if there is any pms now and again later. 👍

Hi Alastair, I'm working on a principle of 20grams Oxalic per brood box ie, if I have a strong hive with 2 boxes of brood, say 6 frames in each, I would use 12 strips (40g). What amount are most ppl using now?

49 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Thanks for sharing @Katipo  

How long do they last in the brood nest? Do you find that the bees chew out the hole around the tooth pick so that the strip drops down?

Also, how long have you been using them and how often do you replace them?

Thanks!

Hi CHCHPaul, one thing i forgot to mention is that I put some staples across the top of the strip - you'll see them in pic 6. This seems to help protect them from chewing it around the toothpick and it falling down. How long they last totally seems to depend on the hive, some seem to chew them more than others.

I'm currently still doing an Apistan treatment once a year, using up what I had, the last of it is in now, and then I'll endeavour only to use the OA. I had the OA strips in over the summer, and the hives in Feb were looking very healthy and strong, no signs of PMS, but I've put the Apistan in anyway, so will be some time before I'll be able to test the effectiveness of just OA.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Thank you @Katipo, had always wondered why everyone got caught up in draping strips over frames as I thought it must make them more difficult to remove. Conventional strips are suspended, Apivar I put toothpicks in to make life easier - wouldn't like to do that as a commercial, but with a few hives, hobbyist can do that quite easily. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Katipo said:

I'm working on a principle of 20grams Oxalic per brood box ie, if I have a strong hive with 2 boxes of brood, say 6 frames in each, I would use 12 strips (40g). What amount are most ppl using now?

Well in that case you are good, Randy Oliver has recommended 18 grams per box, so at 20 grams you are pretty close to his recommendation.

Here in NZ the traditional staples have more than that. Wether it's all necessary, don't know.

Edited by Alastair