Markypoo

NZBF Will a queen right hive tear down queen cells?

4 weeks ago, I went into one of my best producing hives, with an older queen, with the intention of grafting from it. The queen was gone, and there were a couple of queen cells, that looked to be a day or two away from being capped. I had a look in yesterday and couldn't see any larvae or eggs, but found 2 queen cells. There was a reasonable amount of capped brood, in an arc around empty broodcells. My suspicion is that a queen emerged, was laying around existing brood, but they have tried to supercede her quite quickly. Owing to the timeframe I would suspect that a queenright hive wouldn't be building new queen cells, even if it was on a brood break.

My plan is to go in, and remove the cells, then merge it with a queen right  nuc. What your thoughts?

use a high power torch or light to check contents of the queen cells. Sometimes the lid is closed after the queen has emerged the cell could be empty, but may look like it hasn't emerged when it already has.. Need proof that there is a viable bee developing in those two cells before commenting.

Both have larvae in side. I did check.

personally I would leave it alone a few more weeks to wait and see. You can still squash and combine later if you think it is the best thing.

If in doubt I do nothing and eventually it becomes obvious and I always learn something in the process.

Cheers. I was more concerned about the chances of a successful mating.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

Cheers. I was more concerned about the chances of a successful mating.

Yes, I agree & understand. But generally the bees know best and there is little downside risk to letting this run 3 weeks to see what happens next IMO. You still retain your backup plan to merge..

Edited by ChrisM