fieldbee

Covid 19 Are you shutting down or staying open

I know we are an essential service.

Therefore we can in theory  keep open and working

But what is everyone doing with their staff and proving they are taking measures to see them safe.

And how are you keeping staff safe?  Under Health and safety and from Covid19

cant do 2 staff in 1 ute so either send out on their own or 1 staff per ute working a site, 2 staff and 2 utes per site but keep your distance.

I cant get alcohol hand wash  Oops I tell a lie  son saw the last 30ml bottle at the chemist, he had my bank card getting something else, knowing I was complaining bout no hand wash he got me Ethyl Alcohol  Hand Sanitiser .... for....wait for it....$5.90  remember it is only 30ml bottle.  Umm cant really afford at that price  (stay home and use the soap and water)  for 2 months

cant get masks

Our work is nearly done and can be put off for a few months.

Others thoughts and ideas and practices would be interesting

Spent the day looking at the government package for help with wages and businesses, cant see how we can apply for wage help even phoned the accountant  not much joy there, even though helpful.

Hi Frazz

Hi Wayne and Joe
As you mention commercial beekeeping is an allowable operation during the Covid-19 self isolation period.
There is an online form that needs completing to register for this privilege.
If you can answer YES to the first two questions you don’t need to fill it in. We did just to be sure. It’s pretty a long way of proving you’ll keeping yourselves and public safe. Which I’m sure you’ll agree is very important.

Follow the prompts where required. 

Stay safe
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

We are shut down. It was the easiest option rather than wondering and questioning staff where they had been the previous evening or weekend.

The catch is we knew we re going into lockdown a month ago and planned the workload accordingly.

Interesting to note we got an email from the forestry company where most of the bees are for the winter stating that because of the situation the forest is closed, but that if we need to get in must ring the security man first.  

I guess trees must be susceptible too ....?

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 3

Helpful Info Dansar.

No issue for me, I am a one man band, and maintaining social distance while I work is a non issue for me either.

Little bit odd, no handshaking, hugs, and whatever, but i guess everybody in the same boat!

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We are shut down. It was the easiest option rather than wondering and questioning staff where they had been the previous evening or weekend.

The catch is we knew we re going into lockdown a month ago and planned the workload accordingly.

I think I saw somewhere else @jamesc  that your staff are getting paid.  I had a couple more weeks work for mine (1 Permanent,  casual finished couple of weeks ago)  I had figured that then that member would be put off (end contract) and I would have to worry about spring when I get there.  (Find more staff).  Now this is a most rotten time to do to anyone.

Can I apply for the subsidy,  I should be looking for more pollination but cant because of the lockdown.  so I can expect less earnings because of the virus.  

suggestions. And yes @dansar,  I saw that form but we are small enough not to need to complete it.

Edited by fieldbee

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

because of the situation the forest is closed, but that if we need to get in must ring the security man first.  

I guess trees must be susceptible too ....?

Closed because there’s no one allowed to work in forestry due to pine logs not being an essential service one would presume.. 

spoke to the boss round here yesterday.. he’s a little concerned about the scum bag poacher activities in his forests and ripping out his gates during lockdown and I don’t blame him.. police will be busy elsewhere while these clowns help themselves. 

• Thanks 2

Yes agree on poachers. Some of them got no respect for property or other people at all. Some of them think they are modern day Rambo's.

we are partly shut down.

the lads are running solo just to get wintering down done so we have hives to go back to later on.

• Thanks 1

I have just received this from an industry contact.  I am just going to use a clipboard in the vehicle.  But the attached Tegal documentation will give you an idea of what you have to record if you have less than five staff.  

Registration is mandatory for businesses operating with 5 or more staff only.

If you have less than 5 staff, you don’t need to register, but you need a simple single page document/plan spelling out what your business is doing to protect your staff, contractors, customers etc – see below.

PLAN to cover (less than 5 staff), for example –

• Travelling to work – 1 person per vehicle or if 2 people maximum – face masks and gloves worn (might look stupid but this is safe practise)

• Registration system to record who, when, time in & out for all people who are not staff – I have attached an example from Tegel Foods for safe farm practise, it is a word document so you can amend to suit.

• At work and out in the field face mask (nose & mouth) on, gloves worn at all times if there is more than 1 person

• 2 metre separation between staff and any other person you are in contact with to apply where practical.

• Sanitiser available for hands and other items you touch during your work day – for example gate locks and latches etc - gloves will help minimise the risk

DRAFT - Visitors Register and Biosecurity Declaration Form - Livestock.doc

• Good Info 1

Thanks @Maggie James  very helpful,  my big problem is I havent been able to buy hand sanitiser or masks and only have limited gloves,  which are for the household, 5 adults with health compromised hubby. 

I am getting to the conclusion that because of Covid19 we have to be in isolation because we cannot keep safe enough therefore should be able to apply for the subsidy and be able to keep some money going to the staff member.  80% it looks like if we get the subsidy.

still looking for opinions

11 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

Thanks @Maggie James  very helpful,  my big problem is I havent been able to buy hand sanitiser or masks and only have limited gloves,  which are for the household, 5 adults with health compromised hubby. 

I am getting to the conclusion that because of Covid19 we have to be in isolation because we cannot keep safe enough therefore should be able to apply for the subsidy and be able to keep some money going to the staff member.  80% it looks like if we get the subsidy.

still looking for opinions

Talk to your accountant.  They need to apply for you.

My daughter did this for her cafe business and she had the money with 24 hours.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fieldbee said:

my big problem is I havent been able to buy hand sanitiser or masks and only have limited gloves,  which are for the household, 5 adults with health compromised hubby. 

I have not been able to buy these either.  For me the mask isn't an issue.  I think I will ring the landowner, and tell him I will open the gate with my beekeeping glove.  Although I did buy disposable gloves at the supermarket a few weeks ago.  I managed to get a large bottle of dettol which the Ministry of Health recommend as a hand sanitiser and also a cheap alternative.  I have put some of that in a an old spray bottle that I am recycling from my spectacle cleaner.  

When I bought my groceries at 8.30 a.m. today we were told next time we came we would need a mask or a scarf around the mouth.  I stocked up on lightweight scarves for $1 at the op shop recently so I would have some available.  

• Thanks 1

I know of a very large multi-national company (annual profits over $100m) that has told its staff, even permanent full time employees, that they require employees to take leave without pay until the first Government wage subsidy payment is made.  It is in contravention of their standard employment contract.  Most of the employees are low income...  need the money now of all times......but aren't savvy enough to push back....the person from the company I know asked for some help/advice, did then push back, hard and has now received a "confidential" "just for you" payment to cover the time he/she should have been paid for anyway.  

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 5

They are not game to argue with a feisty South American lady? 😄

• Agree 1

My son has two days work a week at the nursery he works at.

The managers are all sent home on full pay .

Two ways to look at that .

One is that its such a rip off of the field hands .

Two , just shows whose really important to keep the business going .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mummzie said:

No need for an accountant to apply- its very simple.

The business needs to supply their name, IRD number, business number (easily got from the companies office) and contact details.

For each employee you supply Name, IRD number and date of birth.

The company is then to endeavour to keep the employees on at 80%.

heres where to apply for a company. The sole trader one is there too.

https://www.workandincome.govt.nz/products/a-z-benefits/covid-19-support.html#null

and the money is thru very quickly

Stay safe folks

Thanks , I was wondering if there was anything for semi retired but still needing income .

My hubby and I are both self emplyed ,he as builder and me as cleaner .

I thought we would just be collateral damage in the bigger picture.

40 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Thanks , I was wondering if there was anything for semi retired but still needing income .

there is still the requirement that you have or will suffer a 30% drop in income as a result of covid- 

Providing the proof of that will likely come later.....so if you claim, be able to prove the income drop 

1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

there is still the requirement that you have or will suffer a 30% drop in income as a result of covid- 

Providing the proof of that will likely come later.....so if you claim, be able to prove the income drop 

I think its from january to march .

Its the paper work thats put me off . I know its necessary and essential .

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

My hubby and I are both self emplyed ,he as builder and me as cleaner .

I thought we would just be collateral damage in the bigger picture.

It's really easy. You dont have to provide evidence if you have a business or ird number. Both of you can apply as either part time or full time workers. 

Go to 

//www.workandincome.govt.nz/products/a-z-benefits/covid-19-support.html#null

Edited by nikki watts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think its from january to march .

Its the paper work thats put me off . I know its necessary and essential .

Neither of these is correct.  It couldn't possibly be any simpler/easier. The hardest part was looking up my IRD number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with @yesbut it takes less than 5 mins to fill out. 

Just wondering if anyone has filled out the self employed application and have two people in the business partnership not drawing wages just taking drawings ?

The application has no facility to add names of those involved in the partnership just the business name, IRD number and business number.

Second part of my post was merged does that show up as a new post @Trevor Gillbanks

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Agree with @yesbut it takes less than 5 mins to fill out. 

Just wondering if anyone has filled out the self employed application and have two people in the business partnership not drawing wages just taking drawings ?

The application has no facility to add names of those involved in the partnership just the business name, IRD number and business number.

Second part of my post was merged does that show up as a new post @Trevor Gillbanks

So we have a company and hubby and I take drawings and pay wages to staff.  Down to 1 full time about to be made part time.  The other day accountant said if we were ellegible could claim for the 3 of us, however she wasn't sure that we fitted the criteria.  However today my staff member pointed out some jobs he would normally be doing that would bring in revenue, but cant be done if we are going to be complying as much as possible with directives.  And only doing essential work keeping hives going.

I hope I’ve done the right thing and we will get paid for the both of us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Nah.  Just counts as one post.  This was bought in a long time ago to stop people chasing number of posts by posting multiple one line posts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1