Trevor Gillbanks

Package Bees to Canada

Posted (edited)

I have had one of my facebook friends from Canada asking if Package Bees from NZ will still be available in Canada.

She seems to think the borders have been closed to bees.  I thought they could still travel.

Thanks

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

10 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I have had one of my facebook friends from Canada asking if Package Bees from NZ will still be available in Canada.

She seems to think the borders have been closed to bees.  I thought they could still travel.

Thanks

Not sure. But social isolating one self and trying to harvest bees, then package, and send could be very difficult. Possibly if all processed by same business? Also regular flights direct to Canada or American might not work. Usually I think packaged bees fly inside passenger flights. Air freight would be at a premium now.

I would have thought most would have been dispatched already.

• Agree 1

Canada pretty cold still. Spring barely sprung.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Canada pretty cold still. Spring barely sprung.

I would imagine that one of the problems in sending queens to Canada, would be to get NZ and Canadian weather in sync (not sure of correct spelling here).  But if Canadian spring is cold or late, that could be quite stressful for a NZ queen supplier.  

i think its about finished. talking to guys who had flights booked for bees but those flights are being cancelled. 

air travel around the world is shutting down and includes the airports, the control towers etc. for eg there is simply not enough flights to warrant manning some of the control towers.

this is not just whats in canada but also the stop overs and also the airfields required for emergency landing. without those you have take a different route.

large amounts of air fleets are being grounded as air travel grinds to a halt.

I would think it would be pretty problematic at this time of year with the flight restrictions around....poor ######s!

16 minutes ago, BSB said:

I would think it would be pretty problematic at this time of year with the flight restrictions around....poor ######s!

Yes.  This could have very far reaching ongoing effects.

• Agree 1