CraBee

Manuka stocking rates and manuka site payments

I'm debating with someone manuka stocking rates and site payments, I thought I'd just throw it out there as to what the consensus is for (solid) manuka stocking rates per ha or acre, and if others are seeing any changes in payment rates for manuka sites?

imho a lot of it is up in the air at the mo because sites that used to get good $ manuka now only get bush honey.

that puts pressure on the remaining good performing sites.

stocking rates should be done by experience, but more often than not its down to how much $$$ the land owner wants. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Used to be you could have a fair idea how much honey you would get, and you could call that honey whatever you wanted to call it.

Now it's a different ball game. One way or another rents will come down on all but the best of sites. If not by negotiation, then by the fact that beekeepers won't have the money to even pay what they said they would.

One of my site owners where i give them honey not money, and have some good and some bad years and get what is now multi manuka, has suddenly decided they want money. I'm pulling out, too much risk. I know there is another beekeeper keen on the site who has approached them and i think that is why they have suddenly decided they should be given money. He can have it, he might win, he might lose. This year was a winning year, next several years I suspect he will lose.

Just to give some more specific info on your exact question Craig, a beekeeper i know who does manuka in the North, is paying $50 per hive for mono manuka sites where it's pretty crowded and harvests are low numbers, likely less than 10 kg's a hive. He told me other site owners are paying from zero, to $150 a hive, depending on whanau relationships etc.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

85$a Hive is the average rate out my ways, plus a box of honey

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

A box per apiary, not hive, i assume?

Just now, Alastair said:

A box per apiary, not hive, i assume?

Yea, a box of 6x 500g jars

• Like 1

$50 to $100 in two years, and now we have had our 1 in 10 year crop the new players around me (steens, King honey , and half a doz other corps ) will probably jump to $200 to try and drive us out. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, olbe said:

$50 to $100 in two years, and now we have had our 1 in 10 year crop the new players around me (steens, King honey , and half a doz other corps ) will probably jump to $200 to try and drive us out. 

Thanks.  What grown out NPA / grades are you getting? The prices seem well up there..

was a fairly quiet backwater where I am  but since the new standards came in have seen a massive increase in others moving in , lot of corporates but also a lot of smaller newer players

chasing what is usually around 5-8 npa blend every other year.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

its a trap!!!

Edited by nab
because

3 hours ago, nab said:

its a trap!!!

What's a trap?

• Agree 1