AFB PMP Management Agency

Changes to AFB Levy announced

Posted (edited)

The Government has notified changes to the AFB levy today following extensive consultation by the Management Agency with beekeepers in 2018 and 2019.

The new levy funding will enable the Management Agency to provide additional services to protect beehives from AFB.

The 2020 AFB levy is set at $40 ($46 including GST) per beekeeper and $1.35 ($1.55 including GST) per bee colony owned by each beekeeper as at 31 March 2020.

A beehive with two brood boxes and several honey supers represents a substantial investment for every beekeeper, and it is crucial that the American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan is adequately resourced to protect beekeepers’ beehives from AFB.

Elimination of AFB from managed colonies in New Zealand requires that all beekeepers comply with their legal obligations to eliminate AFB. The majority of beekeepers have met and continue to meet their AFB elimination obligations. However, these beekeepers have not enjoyed the full benefit of their efforts, as the beehives owned by a minority of beekeepers that do not comply with the American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan rules have continued to be a constant source of re-infection for their beehives.

The previous levy did not provide enough funding to adequately monitor and audit beekeeper AFB elimination performance. As a consequence, most non-compliant beekeepers have yet to be identified and they have continued to engage in beekeeping practices that spread AFB.

The new levy is expected to raise an additional $500,000 in 2020. This represents one third of the maximum allowable increase in levy. It will enable the Management Agency to double the number of apiaries inspected in 2020/21 from 1,200 to 2,400. These inspections will be focussed in regions with clusters of reported AFB and will better enable the Management Agency to identify infected apiaries owned by non-compliant beekeepers.

The new levy funding will enable the Management Agency to increase the number of honey samples tested for AFB in 2020/21 from 60 to 1,000. The honey samples will be collected from commercial beekeeping operations that report little, if any cases of AFB each year. Negative honey test results will verify that these beekeepers genuinely have very low levels of AFB in their beehives. However positive honey test results will suggest that the beekeeper may be failing to report their cases of AFB, and their apiaries will become a priority for inspection.

The Management Agency will use the additional levy funding to employ a second Operations Manager (AP1) to manage the additional inspection workload and ensure that the non-compliances identified are followed up. Each Operations Manager will be responsible for a separate region of the country. This will provide greater capacity to focus on the AFB elimination needs of each region.

The new levy funding will also enable the existing ApiWeb/Apiary database system to be replaced in Spring 2020 with a modern fit for purpose system. The new system is expected to reduce beekeeper effort required to register apiaries, notify cases of AFB, file Annual Disease Returns and complete Certificates of Inspection. The new system will also include a phone app that will enable beekeepers to register apiaries and notify cases of AFB while they are working in the field. The phone app will also enable beekeepers to easily report apiaries that are suspected of being unregistered or other cases of non-compliance to the Management Agency for investigation.

How much is the new AFB levy?

The rate of levy for 2020 is $40 ($46 including GST) per beekeeper and $1.35 ($1.55 including GST) per bee colony owned by each beekeeper as at 31 March 2020.

What is a bee colony?

A bee colony is a group of honey bees living in a beehive. It includes nucleus hives as well as full beehives.

How do I pay the levy?

The Management Agency will send levy invoices out mid-April based upon the number of honey bee colonies recorded in ApiWeb/Apiary Database as at 31 March 2020. The invoice will contain instructions on how to pay the levy by the due date of 1 June 2020.

How can I ensure that I am levied for the correct number of bee colonies?

Act early, log into ApiWeb and check that the number of bee colonies recorded in each apiary are correct, if not make corrections as required on or before 31 March 2020. Or phone AsureQuality on 0508 00 11 22 and speak to an Apiary Registrar who will help you update your colony information.

What should I do if I am levied for the wrong number of bee colonies?

In mid-April AsureQuality will send out a Colony Return form as part of your Annual Disease Return form. You can either:

1.       Login to ApiWeb,

a.       check that the number of honey bee colonies recorded on each apiary are correct and make corrections as required, then

b.       submit your Colony Return via ApiWeb, then

c.       send an email to levies@afb.org.nz advising that you require a revised invoice as per the updated Colony Return submitted. An amended invoice will be sent to you once the Colony Return has been processed.

OR

2.       Complete and return your Colony Return form AND send an email to levies@afb.org.nz advising that you require a revised invoice as per the updated Colony Return submitted. An amended invoice will be sent to you once your Colony Return has been processed.

What is a Colony Return?

A Colony Return is a statutory return required for levy collection purposes.

The form of the Colony Return is the same as the honey bee colony part of the Annual Disease Return. This provides you with the convenience of being able to complete your Colony Return as part of completing your Annual Disease Return. 

AsureQuality will send out Colony Return forms as part of your Annual Disease Return forms in mid-April. Beekeepers can submit their Colony Return via ApiWeb.

All beekeepers are legally required to declare the number of bee colonies they own on 31 March each year.

What safeguards are being implemented to ensure that all beekeepers pay their fair share of funding for the National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan?

All beekeepers are required to make a Colony Return for levy collection purposes. Making a false Colony Return and/or entering false bee colony information into ApiWeb is an offence under the Biosecurity Act 1993, and substantial penalties apply that are many times greater than paying the correct levy.

The Management Agency will be monitoring bee colony numbers recorded in ApiWeb during the autumn and will audit beekeepers that have unusually large reductions in colony numbers.

Edited by AFB PMP Management Agency
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Bit of a surprise, best i can work the maths, I'm going to have to pay less. 😮

That's because in previous years I've had a large number of apiaries with very few hives in them, and was billed on apiaries. Now I'm billed on hives.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2

We will be uniting our singles into double broods this autumn !

Got 12 days to sort my apiweb...

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

Bit of a surprise, best i can work the maths, I'm going to have to pay less. 😮

That's because in previous years I've had a large number of apiaries with very few hives in them, and was billed on apiaries. Now I'm billed on hives.

That is the best of the new charges, it no longer pays to have dump sites, Yahoo!

• Agree 1

Pretty much the same costs for me   Number of hives/apiaries. Just an extra $10.00 so no problem.

Good to see improvement and evolution happening on this front. Looking forward to seeing the facelift apiweb as well.. big thumbs up. 

Posted (edited)

I've kind of got Apiweb sorted now. I have 2 screens on my desk so have Google Earth running on one, Apiweb on the other. Can zoom in on GE and put the mouse on exactly where the bees are and the coordinates show on the bottom of the screen, then enter them into Apiweb on the other screen.

BTW for anyone wanting to do that, the standard format GE uses for GPS coordinates are different to what Apiweb and the AFBPMP use. So to change the default in GE, open GE, click TOOLS, OPTIONS, 3D View, then where it says Show Lat/Long click the Decimal Degrees button, then where it says Units of Measurement make sure the System default button is activated.

Go to the bottom and click APPLY, and GE will now show the GPS coordinates in the needed format for Apiweb.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 2

why not just use the map on apiweb

Cos it's insanely slow, if it works at all.

You use it?

• Agree 1

yes I use it, and every time I do i get an email telling me the co-ordinates are in the wrong format and that I need to change the format, I reply its their map and their format and I can't change their system ! It aint my stuff up and I aint gonna fix it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 20/03/2020 at 12:21 AM, Alastair said:

Cos it's insanely slow, if it works at all.

You use it?

I do use it. I never enter any co-ordinates, I only use the map and insert the point in their map. When I open the map it is of all NZ. I move the map so that my apiary is in the middle of the box. Then I hit the "+" symbol three times. This zooms to the middle of the map. I then wait for the map to do the triple zoom. I re-centre the map in the middle because inevitably it was not perfectly centred when I began. I then hit the "+" three more times and repeat until I am at the maximum magnification, Eventually I'm in the right road. I then put on the highres layer that gives satellite view,  now I can pick the spot down to the last metre. 

By doing 3x at once and no high res until the end is the fastest result I can manage in a slow system.

I have about 35 apiaries at present and have found that this is the fastest way I can do it and now that I have a routine it is pretty good

or else maybe I am numb to it.

A while back there was an AFB incursion from second hand gear that came from Taranaki. Visiting AP2 from Taranaki teamed up with local guy to check around here.I was appalled that he stood by the car and told me my GPS co-ords were not very accurate, I said ok lets go walk over to the hive then. He declined, so that was unresolved if his personal handheld GPS was itself at odds with the Apiweb map. But given the effort I go to place my apiaries correctly inside of apiweb I would be very touchy about such a criticism that I wasn't entering them correctly.

I agree apiweb is off the pace, we've all said it all before. There is now renewed intention to upgrade the software so that is good news. I hope it does actually happen this time. So much positive stuff is coming out of the agency these days, I think it is great and creates a much better atmosphere of goodwill if we are all going in same direction now.

5 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I do use it. I never enter any co-ordinates, I only use the map and insert the point in their map. When I open the map it is of all NZ. I move the map so that my apiary is in the middle of the box. Then I hit the "+" symbol three times. This zooms to the middle of the map. I then wait for the map to do the triple zoom. I re-centre the map in the middle because inevitably it was not perfectly centred when I began. I then hit the "+" three more times and repeat until I am at the maximum magnification, Eventually I'm in the right road. I then put on the highres layer that gives satellite view,  now I can pick the spot down to the last metre. 

By doing 3x at once and no high res until the end is the fastest result I can manage in a slow system.

I have about 35 apiaries at present and have found that this is the fastest way I can do it and now that I have a routine it is pretty good

or else maybe I am numb to it.

I don't know why people find Apiweb maps so hard and slow to use.

If you follow the prompt at the top of the map it says to hold the shift key and use your pointer to select the area wanted  Hold Shift and drag pointer to identify zoom location

This will allow you to zoom into a very close image very quickly.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't know why people find Apiweb maps so hard and slow to use.

If you follow the prompt at the top of the map it says to hold the shift key and use your pointer to select the area wanted  Hold Shift and drag pointer to identify zoom location

This will allow you to zoom into a very close image very quickly.

not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. What you are describing works fine of course, but doing the triple click thing for triple zoom is the fastest way I have found that works for me reliably.

40 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. What you are describing works fine of course, but doing the triple click thing for triple zoom is the fastest way I have found that works for me reliably.

I am just saying to read the instructions on the screen.  The shift click works far faster than the + button 3 times then 3 time then 3 times.

19 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

read the instructions

Read the instructions, are you crazy

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

The shift click works far faster than the + button 3 times then 3 time then 3 times.

shift click does one magnification and clicking "+" also does one magnification. If you want to magnify 3 times you have to repeat either 3 times. I guess you know that; i.e. it makes no difference and you can do it either way to please yourself. My point which seems lost is that if you magnify more than 3 times in rapid succession without looking then you can run off the rails and you can't do it reliably. If you magnify once, wait for screen to refresh and then do it again and then do it again that is really slow regardless of which button you prefer to click for magnfication. So in regards to your comment above, you are completely wrong.

the shift click and the "+" are one and the same thing.

Posted (edited)

Just use Google Earth. 😉

When i switched to it, I was getting the job done in probably a tenth of the time, and still feeling unstressed by the end of it.

Edited by Alastair

32 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Just use Google Earth. 😉

Ok, next time I need to add one I'll give that method a try too and see how it works out. I'll report back.. :) 

I'm a little perplexed how a 'hobby beekeeper " can have 35 apiaries.

• Haha 1

Chris before you do, just be sure to change the default GPS coordinate type that Google Earth use, as described in my post higher up this page. You just do that once and you are good to go.

To find the apiary coordinates i just open Google Earth, enter the address and hit SEARCH. GE then zooms to that property, then me, I may zoom in a bit more to the photo so the mouse can accurately be put where the hives are, and coordinates show at the bottom of the page.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

I opened up apiweb and got out existing co-ordinates for my home apiary. I opened up google earth and put in those co-ordinates. I was pleasantly surprised!

• Like 1