40 minutes ago, jamesc said:

did you find some dew ..... I got some buckets now .

No I haven’t pursued it since your txt. Still interested though. It’s a value add idea have...

youve still got my details aye?

39 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Do the buckets have handles?

Is the Value Added Product dew in bourbon?  Sounds grand.  

Not sure about dew in Bourbon but definitely a product from the still.

Yep .... still got your details .... free dew for some alcohol ....??

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

It's a good job some  of the prerequisites for being a Beekeeper are patience, tolerance and mental stamina . 

Yes, absolutely. Hopefully the government can help you out somewhat. 🤞

It's going to be a tough time. 

Along with the ‘hand sanitiser’ theme , I too have been working hard to come up with a product suitable to fight said virus . By some small miracle it actually tastes remarkably 

similar to Drambue .

33C04D8E-C3AF-4511-9C19-07092450635C.jpeg.5810864cfb8a0d99767294e2e346ebfe.jpeg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's going to be a tough time. 

Hey pete.. I wouldn’t have thought you would have too much to worry about re job security.. it is selling but just a bit less than expected.. things have certainly changed and I guess if those changes are ok to deal with then I’d hang in and ride it out. 

I recon producing good active honey in the current health crisis should mean we are fairly safe.. even if export shipping lanes have had the big squeeze applied. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dansar said:

I average 5 strong cafe style coffees a day and often have one before going to bed. I never have an issue going to sleep. 

Basedd in the couple of pics I have seen of you Dan you are a pretty big guy, 5 cups for you might equal 3 cups for some other people.

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

I generally start the day at 5.45 am and do about six coffees ....... more coffee at 10am,more at  lunch  then more at 5.00pm .....  Beer from six pm til 8.00pm wish ... then more coffee. 

No wonder the Missus thinks I have a problem.

Coffee to speed you up, then beer to slow you down. With all that intake do you need to eat?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hey pete.. I wouldn’t have thought you would have too much to worry about re job security.. it is selling but just a bit less than expected.. things have certainly changed and I guess if those changes are ok to deal with then I’d hang in and ride it out. 

I recon producing good active honey in the current health crisis should mean we are fairly safe.. even if export shipping lanes have had the big squeeze applied. 

Yeah. Cheers mate. I have no plans to leave. Definitely in for the long haul. 👍

Yes apparently Manuka honey was getting scooped up off the shelves in China pretty quick. So as soon as those gates open fully again it'll be flooding out the doors like a spring swarm 😅

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

I guess what sparked my concern personally, is that we have been looking at buying a house. One of my workmates is in the same boat, and his mortgage broker was unsure about the stability of the agriculture industry as a whole, which in turn affects whether or not banks are going to want to lend us money for a mortgage. At this point we'll just ride it out and get some professional opinions. Reassess the situation and go from there. 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah. Cheers mate. I have no plans to leave. Definitely in for the long haul. 👍

Yes apparently Manuka honey was getting scooped up off the shelves in China pretty quick. So as soon as those gates open fully again it'll be flooding out the doors like a spring swarm 😅

It may well be that some consumers are getting tired of paying big prices for manuka, and that could be a big issue for many.  However, if you are a good worker with a good employment record I am sure there will employment, although you may find like some beekeepers with businesses they are diversifying temporarily back to previous skills, trades etc. whilst maintaining their bees.  

The current recession in the industry is separate from the covid issue.  It is anyone's guess as to when the current recession will end, but when it does there are going to be major shortages in the beekeeping industry and skilled staff will be one of them.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alastair said:

Basedd in the couple of pics I have seen of you Dan you are a pretty big guy, 5 cups for you might equal 3 cups for some other people.

True. 192cm 100kg

Hey Pete,

For what it's worth, we all Hum and Hah about big decisions and wonder if now is the time or should we wait for a better time .

Experience tells me that there is no time like the present.  If you have a dream, or a cunning plan ,  jump in and do it .... one way or another, it will always work out . It may not be the outcome you originally thought, but heh, if life was pre planned and predictable, where would be the fun and intrigue of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Hey Pete,

For what it's worth, we all Hum and Hah about big decisions and wonder if now is the time or should we wait for a better time .

Experience tells me that there is no time like the present.  If you have a dream, or a cunning plan ,  jump in and do it .... one way or another, it will always work out . It may not be the outcome you originally thought, but heh, if life was pre planned and predictable, where would be the fun and intrigue of that.

Thanks @jamesc I like that 👍

Good on ya mate. 😊

Good luck !!

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 4:13 PM, Pete said:

Yes, its the Manuka market situation that is the main concern. With the drop in market prices and export restrictions its going to have a big impact. I'm thinking that some companies will struggle to get by, have to let go of some staff and revert to a more local market for selling honey/products etc. 

Interesting times ahead.

Obviously, I along with everyone else is following daily developments and changes very closely. The Manuka market should not be your main concern. Any softening in the bulk price will be a reflection of harvest strength and volume. The demand has increased dramatically in all major international markets. If anything Covid19 has put Manuka firmly on the map as a natural self help choice. 

We receive daily and twice daily distribution updates from major freight operators and while borders may be closed to people, they are definitely not closed to freight and in particular food. Companies with an over exposure to China will have felt a significant impact initially, as the banking sector closed and payments were not being made. Freight though continues to flow and the China business resumes with improved functionality each day. 

The local market is the most depressed as this time of year would normally see peak purchasing of Manuka Honey through the travel retail sector. This is obviously non existent this year. 

We not only produce our own brands but many of the biggest selling international brands and retailer owned brands. Demand for Manuka Honey across the international markets and brands that we have visibility of remains very strong. 

• Good Info 2

I actually got some Mono this year and now my bank account would love to see it sold, maybe if I survive this covid bug I'll have some cash in hand by the end of the year.

• Like 4

On 18/03/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

The hives will be all finished next couple of the weeks, gas from a truck stop, order groceries online and pick up from outside New world store, and just keep your distance from others.

We are lucky that we have a house big enough that we can both be there but not need to come in contact, (some may call that a blessing) and when we do we just keep the 2mtr rule.

Its not as bad as you think, just be sensible. Heath can go for walks and still feel as if she has some sort of freedom, if she short of things to do "I got a list".

What i have learnt after one week of self isolation,  ----- "my list" is not as important as her list it seems, hers gets done and my list can wait till I've fin with the bees.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1