Hey beeks.

I just wanted to start an open discussion regarding the current situation with Covid-19 and the effects its having on the beekeeping industry in NZ. 

Any thoughts/info on the topic, please share.

E.g: Is the industry safe..?

Are our jobs as commercial beekeepers                 secure..?

I am just off to self isolate in my grafting yard.  The nearest person will be approx 2 km away.  Every day I run a major risk of being killed on route by a foreign tourist driver; particularly at an intersection.  In winter I will self isolate in the workshop or in front of the long burner whilst doing paperwork.  

Currently, I think you are more likely to lose your job if the bottom falls out of the manuka market.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

In winter I will self isolate in the workshop or in front of the long burner whilst doing paperwork.  

have you got enough coffee ?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pete said:

Hey beeks.

I just wanted to start an open discussion regarding the current situation with Covid-19 and the effects its having on the beekeeping industry in NZ. 

My thoughts are that as most beekeeping is done in a semi isolated way, i.e. you either work by yourself or with a couple of guys/gals so not mingling all day with the great unwashed, you should be fairly safe, can't speak for your night time proclivities but keep your hands washed.

I would think that the stronger reason to maybe be worried about your job/position would be you/your boss not being able to sell product which then may snowball to the point of not being able to keep you on. Is the reason you/he/she cant move/sell product due to covid9 ?

My wife came back from Aussie on Monday so she self Isolating, lucky she bought 2 big bottles of booze at duty free so we all sorted for the next couple of weeks, and as I work by myself and we at each end of the house and not meeting in the middle for hanky panky we should be all good. Now to go wash my hands.

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

have you got enough coffee ?

I am not a huge coffee drinker.  But if the bottom falls out of the honey market, I will have to add it to the mulled wine.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

My thoughts are that as most beekeeping is done in a semi isolated way, i.e. you either work by yourself or with a couple of guys/gals so not mingling all day with the great unwashed, you should be fairly safe, can't speak for your night time proclivities but keep your hands washed.

I would think that the stronger reason to maybe be worried about your job/position would be you/your boss not being able to sell product which then may snowball to the point of not being able to keep you on. Is the reason you/he/she cant move/sell product due to covid9 ?

Yes, its the Manuka market situation that is the main concern. With the drop in market prices and export restrictions its going to have a big impact. I'm thinking that some companies will struggle to get by, have to let go of some staff and revert to a more local market for selling honey/products etc. 

Interesting times ahead.

Beekeeping is probably one of the safest jobs in terms of being able to do the actual job without much people contact if need be.

selling product, now that's something else. Only advantage over some other agricultural products is that honey can be stored for years if need be. This plague will not last forever but there will be short term pain even for beekeepers.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

My wife came back from Aussie on Monday

Only your beloved has to self-isolate. But you're in close contact and you're on the loose.

So if you get it from her, who will do all your work? And/or if you went to the supermarket during this period of her self-isolation, you could still unknowingly give it to others before you knew. 

22 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

you should be fairly safe,

hmmm, fingers crossed you are right.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

If 2 coffees by 6.30 isn't much, what is? 😄

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

If 2 coffees by 6.30 isn't much, what is? 😄

I don't know what your fixation is with my two coffees a day, and I don't need to know.  If I have two coffees by 6.30 a.m., it's cos I need to go and cage queens at daybreak to beat robbing or shift some hives. End of story  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

On Friday we will go in to self isolation . Most of the bee work is done  so we  will wind down for a month and re evaluate the situation. Those that know tell us that we are in for a long haul .... six months or so.

Our self isolation involves pulling the kids out of school, somehow getting Nana to hand in her car keys, and telling the three staff I do not want to see them for a month. We will still pay them for that month . It's gonna cost us for sure.

The interesting thing is the Gvt package, and someone will correct me on this because I haven't had a real good look at it, but the way I read it , if Covid has impacted and dropped your earnings from  the last year, then we are eligible for some assistance.

We are doomed from day one as our taxable income from the bees for the last two and a half years has been zero.  So even though trying to run a business, and parking up staff because I don't want to put them under pressure of potential exposure .... still no care package.

It's a good job some  of the prerequisites for being a Beekeeper are patience, tolerance and mental stamina . 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

I don't know what your fixation is with my two coffees a day, and I don't need to know.  If I have two coffees by 6.30 a.m., it's cos I need to go and cage queens at daybreak to beat robbing or shift some hives. End of story  

I think some people have a weak constitution. I average 5 strong cafe style coffees a day and often have one before going to bed. I never have an issue going to sleep. The key to that is to work hard and play hard. My wife can’t believe that I can be snoring and in a deep sleep within 10 minutes of my head hitting the pillow😆

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

On Friday we will go in to self isolation . Most of the bee work is done  so we  will wind down for a month and re evaluate the situation. Those that know tell us that we are in for a long haul .... six months or so.

Our self isolation involves pulling the kids out of school, somehow getting Nana to hand in her car keys, and telling the three staff I do not want to see them for a month. We will still pay them for that month . It's gonna cost us for sure.

The interesting thing is the Gvt package, and someone will correct me on this because I haven't had a real good look at it, but the way I read it , if Covid has impacted and dropped your earnings from  the last year, then we are eligible for some assistance.

We are doomed from day one as our taxable income from the bees for the last two and a half years has been zero.  So even though trying to run a business, and parking up staff because I don't want to put them under pressure of potential exposure .... still no care package.

It's a good job some  of the prerequisites for being a Beekeeper are patience, tolerance and mental stamina

Why a month? 

You have someone who's just arrived back from overseas?

Put the family in the honey shed...

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Like 1

I generally start the day at 5.45 am and do about six coffees ....... more coffee at 10am,more at  lunch  then more at 5.00pm .....  Beer from six pm til 8.00pm wish ... then more coffee. 

No wonder the Missus thinks I have a problem.

It must be crap coffee eh .

4 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Why a month? 

You have someone who's just arrived back from overseas?

Put the family in the honey shed...

Why a month .... because school hols start in two weeks or so , so take an early break and wind down for the hols .... then reevaluate.

That way everyone gets time to have  quality family time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My understanding if your taxable income is zero, then you are entitled to a community services card, and this from May to end of Sept will give you a $40 power rebate per week.   I could be wrong on this, just going by TV1 news last night.  I don't know what the thresholds are for a community services card.   But this includes pensioners. 

26 minutes ago, dansar said:

I think some people have a weak constitution. I average 5 strong cafe style coffees a day and often have one before going to bed. I never have an issue going to sleep. The key to that is to work hard and play hard. My wife can’t believe that I can be snoring and in a deep sleep within 10 minutes of my head hitting the pillow😆

Looking at the photos the other day, you look like a muso.  Does this explain the coffee intake?  What type of music are you into?  

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I generally start the day at 5.45 am and do about six coffees ....... more coffee at 10am,more at  lunch  then more at 5.00pm .....  Beer from six pm til 8.00pm wish ... then more coffee. 

No wonder the Missus thinks I have a problem.

It must be crap coffee eh .

Why a month .... because school hols start in two weeks or so , so take an early break and wind down for the hols .... then reevaluate.

That way everyone gets time to have  quality family time.

I think the proper terminology is social distancing.

29 minutes ago, dansar said:

My wife can’t believe that I can be snoring and in a deep sleep within 10 minutes of my head hitting the pillow

my head hits something else before the pillow 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

My understanding if your taxable income is zero, then you are entitled to a community services card, and this from May to end of Sept will give you a $40 power rebate per week.   I could be wrong on this, just going by TV1 news last night.  I don't know what the thresholds are for a community services card.   But this includes pensioners. 

Looking at the photos the other day, you look like a muso.  Does this explain the coffee intake?  What type of music are you into?  

No, the guitars are just a hobby. I like a play all sorts but my favourites are the Shadows era, and on the flip side I also love a real grungy rock song.

Currently in the shed making up a batch of hand sanitiser..🤔🤣

EFDBDA33-62F3-457F-B632-51BC747637D9.thumb.jpeg.33c15fb721da3cd186668afee7b09feb.jpegB2F641CA-8029-422A-BBA8-93AF18C0B2C6.thumb.jpeg.9977b8d64e8005868238bec2ccef405c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

did you find some dew ..... I got some buckets now .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

did you find some dew ..... I got some buckets now .

Do the buckets have handles?

Is the Value Added Product dew in bourbon?  Sounds grand.  

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Only your beloved has to self-isolate. But you're in close contact and you're on the loose.

So if you get it from her, who will do all your work? And/or if you went to the supermarket during this period of her self-isolation, you could still unknowingly give it to others before you knew. 

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

The hives will be all finished next couple of the weeks, gas from a truck stop, order groceries online and pick up from outside New world store, and just keep your distance from others.

We are lucky that we have a house big enough that we can both be there but not need to come in contact, (some may call that a blessing) and when we do we just keep the 2mtr rule.

Its not as bad as you think, just be sensible. Heath can go for walks and still feel as if she has some sort of freedom, if she short of things to do "I got a list".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

"I got a list".

Give us a laugh.  What's on THE "list"

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dansar said:

No, the guitars are just a hobby. I like a play all sorts but my favourites are the Shadows era, and on the flip side I also love a real grungy rock song.

Currently in the shed making up a batch of hand sanitiser..🤔🤣

EFDBDA33-62F3-457F-B632-51BC747637D9.thumb.jpeg.33c15fb721da3cd186668afee7b09feb.jpegB2F641CA-8029-422A-BBA8-93AF18C0B2C6.thumb.jpeg.9977b8d64e8005868238bec2ccef405c.jpeg

Hand sanitiser you can drink

1 minute ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Hand sanitiser you can drink

Wash hands, then drink

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Hey beeks.

If you own the business, then your job is as secure as you want to make it. If not ....  I would suggest that in the current climate it's all pretty dodgy and you need other skills to offer your employer so he can put those skills to other income generating scheme he may have up his sleeve .... which is why sometimes it's easier for the Boss to give you extended paid leave, or put you on a fixed term contract that states you will have three months downtime over the winter , which means you will have to save some of your summer pay to carry you through.

11 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Do the buckets have handles?

Is the Value Added Product dew in bourbon?  Sounds grand.  

Yes, they are white buckets with handles and hold 29 kg of honey