CraBee

Extractor issue

Posted (edited)

I have a Lega Tangential Bottom Drive Extractor that I'm testing before use.  It is bolted down through rubber pads into the floor of a reefer, the base is solid.  Unloaded it hums along nicely at different speeds in a clockwise direction.  However in an anticlockwise direction at a lower speed (30%) it starts to wobble around and at 60% it's wobbling around so much its getting out of control and hard to hit the "Stop" button.  Any idea's on what the problem may be?

Edited by CraBee

Are all the baskets reversing

16 minutes ago, Happy said:

Are all the baskets reversing

Yes

does it get up to 88mph

21 minutes ago, nab said:

does it get up to 88mph

100% is 480rpm.  

1 minute ago, CraBee said:

100% is 480rpm

good. use it as a time machine and go back in time and buy a different brand😛

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nab said:

good. use it as a time machine and go back in time and buy a different brand😛

Ha ha, I like that, yes I should.  Then I wouldn't be walking around at the moment like a bear with a sore head...

My logic would indicate a bearing issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

I have a Lega Tangential Bottom Drive Extractor that I'm testing before use.  It is bolted down through rubber pads into the floor of a reefer, the base is solid.  Unloaded it hums along nicely at different speeds in a clockwise direction.  However in an anticlockwise direction at a lower speed (30%) it starts to wobble around and at 60% it's wobbling around so much its getting out of control and hard to hit the "Stop" button.  Any idea's on what the problem may be?

i would be getting rid of the rubber pads.

you could simply be getting harmonics because it can move on the pads.

if its only wobbling in one direction, normal culprit would be one basket isn't swinging over to its correct position.

the other possibility is how the motor is mounted. reaction torque with the soft mounts.

depending on gearbox setup it could also be worn bearings/mounts allowing the gears to move around creating slightly different speeds during the turn. one direction pulls gears into each other, the other direction pushes them apart.

Just now, tristan said:

if its only wobbling in one direction, normal culprit would be one basket isn't swinging over to its correct position.

the other possibility is how the motor is mounted. reaction torque with the soft mounts.

depending on gearbox setup it could also be worn bearings/mounts allowing the gears to move around creating slightly different speeds during the turn. one direction pulls gears into each other, the other direction pushes them apart.

Good one thanks.  Will investigate this lot tomorrow.

16 hours ago, tristan said:

Righto, checked the baskets and a bottom Spring had come off one of the baskets, that and some more tinkering and its humming along.  I'm heading North within the next month to drop some honey off so may drop some cold ones in for you, much frustration and time saved 🙂