Hello All 

Just looking for some advice/feedback regarding autumn splits. 

Finding it hard to find NZ information regarding splitting a hive at this time of year. 

Is it a good option to do at this time of year? Have extracted my honey and am currently running 1 hive, 2 full depth boxes on hive. Lower one has brood and top one is stored honey. 

Is it an option to split the hive by pulling out some brood and honey and putting into a Nuc box? Introducing a queen or queen cell into the nuc and letting them winter in this? 

Am I able to buy a fertilized queen at this time of year? 

Any information is hugely appreciated. 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

Is it a good option to do at this time of year?

In my view, yes. The negative is that more winter feed will be needed, but if you are OK buying a 25 kg bag of white sugar then no issues.

Is it an option to split the hive by pulling out some brood and honey and putting into a Nuc box? Introducing a queen or queen cell into the nuc and letting them winter in this? 

Yes, best go with a mated queen this time of year.

You don't give your location, a nuc will survive easier in warmer places.

Am I able to buy a fertilized queen at this time of year? 

Yes.

A comment, in my view, especially for a beginner, rather than make a nuc this time of year, better to divide your 2 brood box hive into two one box hives and put a queen into the queenless one. An easy method if you are not good at finding queens, is to open the hive and divide the brood equally between the 2 brood boxes, then put a queen excluder between them and re assemble the hive. Have a look a week later. The box with the queen will have eggs in the brood cells, the other box will not. Move the box with the queen to a new bottom board at a new location, preferably at least several metres away not hard up to the other hive, and put the bought caged queen into the queenless box to make a new hive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

Yes

Awesome! Do you know where from? 

What part of NZ are you?

2 minutes ago, Alastair said:

You don't give your location, a nuc will survive easier in warmer places.

Thanks for the great feedback. I am in Taranaki. Like the idea of just using my full depth boxes. Just thought a nuc might be better being smaller over the winter. 

Just now, Alastair said:

What part of NZ are you?

Taranaki

Posted (edited)

There are some excellent breeders of quality queens within easy postal range of you. But here's one, and I would recommend spend the extra bucks and get a laying queen, not a queen cell.

https://lionqueens.nz/queens-cells/

And oh, if you prefer to do a nuc, that's fine, it's all learning. 🙂

Edited by Alastair

3 minutes ago, Alastair said:

There are some excellent breeders of quality queens within easy postal range of you. But here's one, and I would recommend spend the extra bucks and get a laying queen, not a queen cell.

https://lionqueens.nz/queens-cells/

And oh, if you prefer to do a nuc, that's fine, it's all learning. 🙂

Thanks so much for your advice!! Hugely appreciated. 

SO much learning! I'm loving it!! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Thanks so much for your advice!! Hugely appreciated. 

SO much learning! I'm loving it!! 

Good on you

• Like 1

One other thought. You'll need an effective autumn varroa mite treatment in place. Otherwise everything else you do will be for nothing.

15 hours ago, Alastair said:

One other thought. You'll need an effective autumn varroa mite treatment in place. Otherwise everything else you do will be for nothing.

I put strips in about 2 weeks ago after I extracted so should be on top of that. 

• Good Info 1

Seems like you need to upgrade your profile from "I do not have bees yet " !!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Seems like you need to upgrade your profile from "I do not have bees yet " !!

Yes I do!!

• Haha 1

Hmmm .... if you were in Canterbury I'd say it's too late to make a split. We like to make our splits up in January, which gives the bees time to  build population for the winter.

Auckland doesn't know what winter is, Taranaki can have some good frosts in some of the gullies ....so you need a good population and yongqueen to keep everything snug as a bug.

If it was me, I'd leave the hive for the winter and then start fiddling in early September. when the bees want to naturally grow.

• Agree 3