Hi there, how do i get rid of wax moth other than picking them out with my hive tool if and when i see them in a frame?

I presume you are talking wax moth in the hives.  

There will always be a few, however, if there is a lot then I would ask, Why are thees so weak that they cannot control the wax moth.

What are your varroa levels like,  When did you last treat.

2 hours ago, Fleur615 said:

Hi there, how do i get rid of wax moth other than picking them out with my hive tool if and when i see them in a frame?

need more detail.

common to get the odd wax moth in the brood. just flick them out when you see them.

however if your getting wax moth up in the supers you have other issues going on.

if in doubt simply post pics.

1) Stop using a hive with a large bottom entrance that makes it easy for them and wasps and mice to get in. All bees need unless there is a major flow on, is a small entrance or two about 25 mm which they can easily defend.  In major honey producing countries like Russia and Ukraine they use hives with small entrances in both brood and supers.  They don''t use the floodgates that are the modern bottom entrance . Think about it, why do we insist that bees walk in at the ground floor and up thought he hive like we do in our houses.  They have wings.

2) If you use hives with ventillated roof then the female moth will lay her eggs on the mesh and when they hatch they will climb through.  We staple a 2nd piece of mesh on the outside of the vent.    Plus we glue the inside rail with Gorrilla as they get between the rail and the side wall of the roof.

However, we are just coverting to Intrances,  into every super and bb so are doing away with ventillated roofs and mesh floors (small hive beetle)

Not had any wax moth for 4 years on 45 colonies.

UD hive.jpg

• Like 1