Sputnik

Possible sources of thixotropic honey.

Hi We were extracting this weekend and found frames of thixotropic honey that were almost impossible to extract. We have no manuka, or heather near our apairy and the willows were cleared out few years ago, I have tasted willow honeydew before so I know it's not that.

What other plants could be the source? It's quite pleasant taste with a golden yellow colour. Tried searching google for possiblitys but it's not been much help.

We did an extraction in December so it's been between December and early March. It's been dry all summer basically a drought. We are in a rural/urban border so could be anything?

Kanuka !  It's been a good season for it.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Kanuka !  It's been a good season for it.

Not really any flowering kanuka around I have planted out a lot of kanuka for future firewood and Essential oil production however it hasn't flowered yet.

Edited by Sputnik

No Kanuka within 3 km ?

I will have have another walk around and check again. I couldn't find any kanuka round here when I was looking for a local kanuka seed source. I got my seeds from a farm going back to bush about 20kms away.

1 hour ago, Sputnik said:

Hi We were extracting this weekend and found frames of thixotropic honey that were almost impossible to extract. We have no manuka, or heather near our apairy and the willows were cleared out few years ago, I have tasted willow honeydew before so I know it's not that.

What other plants could be the source? It's quite pleasant taste with a golden yellow colour. Tried searching google for possiblitys but it's not been much help.

We did an extraction in December so it's been between December and early March. It's been dry all summer basically a drought. We are in a rural/urban border so could be anything?

Kanuka flowered very strongly this year.  It is olive green in the cells and yellow colour when broken open.  It is a nice tasting honey.  The timing is right.

• Agree 1

are you sure its thixotropic ?

had a customer who used to bring in boxes of 'snot'. yellow pasture honey that was super thick that the pumps struggled to pump.

it may be your extraction method has issues with thick honeys.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, tristan said:

are you sure its thixotropic ?

had a customer who used to bring in boxes of 'snot'. yellow pasture honey that was super thick that the pumps struggled to pump.

it may be your extraction method has issues with thick honeys.

Honey is warm from hive. We have a 2 frame manual extractor. We then run honey immediately through a double sieve 1.2mm/0.5mm holes.

This honey didn't even want to come out of the comb and some frames it just wouldn't come out. With stirring will go through the first sieve and then sits like snot on the finer sieve and won't go through.

Edited by Sputnik

3 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Honey is warm from hive. We have a 2 frame manual extractor. We then run honey immediately through a double sieve 1.2mm/0.5mm holes.

This honey didn't even want to come out of the comb and some frames it just wouldn't come out. With stirring will go through the first sieve and then sits like snot on the finer sieve and won't go through.

that sounds very familiar. it may simply be very dry honey. i never did find out what that yellow honey was.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tudor said:

Here we go again !

Its all about thixtrophism.  We have discussed this before:

https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/5290-small-honey-extractor-recomendation/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-80423

check my post on January 13 for a pic of the roller.

Thanks I was aware of the need to agitate the honey as I had done a tour of a manuka extraction plant last season and they had a Automatic pricker that also blew a bit of compressed air into the cell as well. 

We tried stabbing the honey with cappings scratchers to loosen but that was useless. We scraped a few frames and tried straining that but that didn't work very well either.

Will get a roller and try that as we still have one hive to extract as I foolishly didn't use a queen excluder on that hive and some there is a chimney of Capped brood through the honey supers I need to sort out when the bees aren't so keen to start robbing.

Edited by Sputnik

22 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Thanks I was aware of the need to agitate the honey as I had done a tour of a manuka extraction plant last season and they had a Automatic pricker that also blew a bit of compressed air into the cell as well. 

We tried stabbing the honey with cappings scratchers to loosen but that was useless. We scraped a few frames and tried straining that but that didn't work very well either.

Will get a roller and try that as we still have one hive to extract as I foolishly didn't use a queen excluder on that hive and some there is a chimney of Capped brood through the honey supers I need to sort out when the bees aren't so keen to start robbing.

Any wild blackberry around? I’ve had a dew from it before and very thixotropic.

• Good Info 1

25 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

they had a Automatic pricker that also blew a bit of compressed air into the cell as well. 

thats really odd.

wouldn't mind seeing that, or even pic's.

are you sure they where not screwing with ya? you tend to hear the sounds of the air coming out of the machine.

did hear talk of them trying heated air jets but thats to heat the pricker plates so the honey drains off them and doesn't clog them up.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Will get a roller and try that as we s

you are not alone with this, and there is no guarantee the roller will do the trick either. My extractor is currently with someone frantically rolling and still not having success.

Mine matched your description- and I have to accept its Kanuka but like you I am struggling to work out where they got so much from. I also wonder if its something else or a combination The good news is that its very popular with those who get given it.

14 minutes ago, tristan said:

are you sure they where not screwing with ya?

That matches the description of the pricker in the extraction facility I toured.....air blown into the cells.....and I doubt its the same place!

It's not a pricker - the cells are already uncapped - and then the modified hair roller with its clever bobbles tickles (agitates) the honey which becomes runny and comes out in the spinner.

"Rollers" that you can buy do nothing to help.

I assure you, I have been there and done that.   Commercial extraction will do the job for you, but as a hobby BK you will/may have trouble getting it done.

36 minutes ago, dansar said:

Any wild blackberry around? I’ve had a dew from it before and very thixotropic.

Yep a whole riverbank and many abandoned houses overgrown with blackberries 

1 minute ago, Sputnik said:

Yep a whole riverbank and many abandoned houses overgrown with blackberries 

Have a wander around and see if there are aphids on it, that could be the source.

On that note of Blackberry......there seems to be an abundance of it the Length of SH1, it’s like there hasn’t been any focused herbicide use on it for a couple of years 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, tristan said:

thats really odd.

are you sure they where not screwing with ya? you tend to hear the sounds of the air coming out of the machine.

did hear talk of them trying heated air jets but thats to heat the pricker plates so the honey drains off them and doesn't clog them up.

Yeah I am certain, it pricked the uncapped cell 3 times and the blew in a bit of air. I paid a bit of attention to it as its was manufactured by a company that does a bit of stainless steel fabrication for a company I work for.

18 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Yeah I am certain, it pricked the uncapped cell 3 times and the blew in a bit of air. I paid a bit of attention to it as its was manufactured by a company that does a bit of stainless steel fabrication for a company I work for.

got a name?

i'm always interested in new gear.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tristan said:

got a name?

Boutelje

Edited by Sputnik

9 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Boutelje

i will look into that, but imho its probably just marketing BS.

i highly doubt its actually aerating the cell. last thing you want is aerated honey as it causes foaming. it also would splatter honey around.

also if its actual compressed air, then that adds a huge load to the compressed air system and it would have to be food grade air supply (instead of machine grade). which adds substantial costs.

he was meant to have called in as he claims he has a fix for the prickers.

let just say i would be very happy to replace all of his products.

Some years our   Dew and clover  goes thixotropic  ....  if it sits in the shed for too long the moisture content  drops and it's virtually I possible to extract.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

10 hours ago, tristan said:

got a name?

I'm sure James Dolan has talked to me about this. Give him a call. 

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Some years our   Dew and clover  goes thixotropic  ....  if it sits in the shed for too long the moisture content  drops and it's virtually I possible to extract.

Where as on the Coast it gains moisture due to our high humidity.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

I'm sure James Dolan has talked to me about this. Give him a call. 

Scratch that. James said he hasn't heard if it. He'd

love to talk to you about pickers though 😁😁

Edited by nikki watts