jamesc

Protocol , what protocol ?

That's down beat Dennis. Won't sell your crop, bank at the door, get another job, quit altogether.. but all the best!

You sold your crop? You doing ok?

Anyhow, the traceability is a bit of a shambolic affair. Good luck with that Cowboy

29 minutes ago, jamesc said:

And then at the end of the day you have 200 boxes of honey end up in the bulk tank that came from half of the South Island  and go into a dozen or so drums

i  think we have inspection coming up and god help us if that paper work is not all in order.

30 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Next week we crank up the extracting plant .

it seams weird. i've been extracting for 4 months or so already. tho the good news is we are past half way.

Too true Dennis . I have absolutely no idea who is gonna buy the stuff ..... the Road crew from HEB's and Fulton Hogan .... who knows ....?

So we'll conform to the protocols knowing we are living the dream ..... but just like all the high viz and road cones around potholes, the chainsaw certs, the first aid certs, the insurance heat testing of wiring boards, the building compliances, the farming compliances, the dope testing , drug testing, alcohol testing ..... the honey testing, the RMP's, the water testing  ....OMG ....

Somewhere we have lost the wiggle room for spontaneity and LIFE. We have been bludgeoned into a conformity that has blinded us to the creativity of our individual lives.

And we all know what happens to drones at the end of the season . Right ?

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah, every second Monday they get $700 in their bank a/c !!!!!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Too true Dennis . I have absolutely no idea who is gonna buy the stuff ..... the Road crew from HEB's and Fulton Hogan .... who knows ....?

So we'll conform to the protocols knowing we are living the dream ..... but just like all the high viz and road cones around potholes, the chainsaw certs, the first aid certs, the insurance heat testing of wiring boards, the building compliances, the farming compliances, the dope testing , drug testing, alcohol testing ..... the honey testing, the RMP's, the water testing  ....OMG ....

Somewhere we have lost the wiggle room for spontaneity and LIFE. We have been bludgeoned into a conformity that has blinded us to the creativity of our individual lives.

They don't get laid....😞

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CraBee said:

They don't get laid....😞

Aah ... the curved ball .

I think the sad reality is that in a year or  so  there won't be too many commercial bee keepers left in the South Island.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

I think the sad reality is that in a year or  so  there won't be too many commercial bee keepers left in the South Island.

Wont they still be needed for pollination .

Not just fruit in the nelson area , but for seed crops.

Its possible for the good soils of the east coast of the south island may expand their production from.just being the worlds biggest carrot seed producer .

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jamesc said:

the chainsaw certs, 

What is this chainsaw certs? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times lately.

We have to be certified to use a chainsaw now?

Jeannette Fitzsimons was using one a few days ago and I'll betcha she wasn't certified 😉

Edited by Alastair

As beekeepers we probably should all be certified!!

• Haha 7

Employees who are required to use chainsaws, need to be certified. 

We get certified once to drive on the road. Which does amaze me, same as a gun licence. 

For some reason, workplaces require lots of on going safety education.

And what's taught is jumping thru hoops is normal. It's a day out to refresh. 

And those beekeepers with Rayonier-Matariki forestry sites will know they must show evidence of the chainsaw safety training record if they wish to use a chainsaw to maintain forest bee sites, also  must be approved for spraying and show a record of what’s being used... 

there is no escape.. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, jamesc said:

I think you maybe right

And I've stopped telling our council guys what I'm doing where with old mans' beard control, all council volunteers are now supposed to go through an induction course in case we get blisters off our secateurs, or trip over, or get a wasp sting....

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

Jeannette Fitzsimons was using one a few days ago and I'll betcha she wasn't certified 😉.

i read that and the first thing i thought was if it was a petrol chainsaw. 

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

That's down beat Dennis. Won't sell your crop, bank at the door, get another job, quit altogether.. but all the best!

You sold your crop? You doing ok?

Anyhow, the traceability is a bit of a shambolic affair. Good luck with that Cowboy

Hi Gino not down beat, just some thoughts for whomever wants it.

Not sold as yet but got very high interest, they want it just waiting on tests to discuss at what price.

Yep doing ok, but have seen some who are not, so thats what brought on the thoughts.

My pollination is bread and butter with a smidgen of jam, so always ok, How about yourself, 

• Good Info 1

Good pollination season. Hardly used the 4wd. And only a rained on a few times. Was a long season tho. Avos, Red, G3, Green, Organics.  

Good pasture clover crop. 

Just need to sell it... No M in my stock. 

Tested and seeing low mite counts. 1, an occasional 2. 

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Any way, movin' on, this morning  I was reading the Farmlander Mag put out by The Farmland Coop. Sometimes it has some  quite good stuff in it.

This months article was from the ASB senior Rural Economist .... Nathan Penny.

He made some interesting comments.

" In many cases environmental constraints are going to lead to higher farm gate prices. So yes, compliance costs are rising, but increasingly these prices are going to be reflected in prices.

Essentially, the environmental constraints are limiting production or supply growth and with demand still firm, prices are subsequently rising".

JC says Hmm to that.

Nathan goes on....

"Secondly,it's important to note that our competitors in other countries are facing similar challenges.  Thus the challenge becomes a competitive one.  I.E , if our farmers can incorporate environmental and other compliance into their businesss better or more efficiently than overseas rivals, this will be a competitive advantage for us.

The gist I take from this is that we need to run leaner and meaner, suck up the compliance costs , add it to our production cost and let the consumer pay.

So ... Mr Nuc Man ..... how many holes you got left in your belt  so you is still wearing yer pants when the honey  price starts to rise ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Tested and seeing low mite counts. 1, an occasional 2. 

So what was your spring/summer treatments? Any Oxalic?

Most of my counts from Manuka land have been 5-15. Have heard of some guys with counts 20-60 which is a bit scary but not surprising after a big production year.

We delayed a day as the hygiene compliance officer would’nt give us the ok to press green for go.

Tonight I’d eat my venison curry off the floor.

Maybe tomorrow...

9EDAECA9-A8A8-40E6-9BB4-03456A90A9C8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Jamo said:

So what was your spring/summer treatments? Any Oxalic?

Most of my counts from Manuka land have been 5-15. Have heard of some guys with counts 20-60 which is a bit scary but not surprising after a big production year.

Apivar late spring. 

• Good Info 1

20 hours ago, jamesc said:

We delayed a day as the hygiene compliance officer would’nt give us the ok to press green for go.

Tonight I’d eat my venison curry off the floor.

Maybe tomorrow...

9EDAECA9-A8A8-40E6-9BB4-03456A90A9C8.jpeg

spin a few frames while you eat your curry, a bit of honey drizzled/spilled on curry would be nice.