@dansar I am presenting a Beekeeping workshop at our local primary school i would love to be able to show the children Live Bees on frames is there a possibility I could purchase one of your Observation Hive's they look great and im having trouble trying to find one.

Thank you

Chantelle

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are notes I made re: observations hives some time back:   Observation hives...   I've used a variety of observation hives, including a 1 frame 'portable', a 2 frame not quit

Hi. Sorry I haven’t been manufacturing for the past year as I am time short due to other commitments. All the best with your  project. Daniel

Plans are in my head sorry. Just follow basic “bee space” principles and frame dimensions. The rest should be easy.

• 7 months later...
On 5/03/2020 at 9:36 PM, dansar said:

Hi. Sorry I haven’t been manufacturing for the past year as I am time short due to other commitments.

All the best with your  project.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Would you be interested in sharing your plans?   I run a mens shed and it might be a peoject of interst to a couple of the guys.

Cheers

On 5/11/2020 at 8:33 AM, WebKiwiNZ said:

Hi Daniel

Would you be interested in sharing your plans?   I run a mens shed and it might be a peoject of interst to a couple of the guys.

Cheers

Plans are in my head sorry. Just follow basic “bee space” principles and frame dimensions. The rest should be easy.

• Agree 1

We have a single frame with clear plastic both sides mesh bottom and some 3mm holes near top of plastic. We only borrow queen plus brood for 3 hours for school trips then return to hive. So the observation is only temporary 

• Like 1

I also made mine with a wooden 5 frame nuc box on the bottom, single frame on top, which if only needed for 3 or 4 hours, made a mesh base which fitted inside the underside of the base, I only needed to take top of it. Has a queen excluder between top and box on bottom usually. I put blue tack under the ends of the frame on top to help stop it slopping in transit, and small pieces of wood either side of the bottom of top frame - same reason - originally used poly styrene, and the bees found sodding beads for several years after I switched to wooden ones - which every child told me about - give that a miss. As I use it for the local A & H Show, I also fitted a tube from the side that went down to bottom of top frame to an upside down bottle cap so that kids can squirt weak sugar solution to hydrate the hive, and entertain the kids. I borrowed one when making it, and the measurement between the two sheets of glass is 55 mm, and that leaves a good bee space either side, using 35 mm side bar frames.

• Like 1

Cheers. I'll look up your suggestions.

I had a guy come in wanting to make bee gear out of pallet wood. I think I disuaded him as most is not robust enough. Degrades quickly and the sized wood is all wrong. 

But it did get me thinking about modifying a current box for observation. Being in a community garden we get people wanting to look but I dont want to crack hives too often for entertainment.

Thanks again