Alastair

A Little Honey Can Change Attitudes

I would be utterly stuffed if NZ wasn't a nation of sugar-heads - honey really works beyond what most would ever believe, hope to never get to the stage of not having a jar in the car as it is the ultimate trading tool. Had a real rough guy stop and finish changing a punctured tyre in middle of Rotorua for me once, smile when I gave him a jar of honey said it all.

• Like 3

Good story Sailabee. 

I have changed the odd tyre for others, and never got anything. I can see if I was a non beekeeper, a jar of honey from the person who made it, would have really hit the spot.

Good thinking having a jar in the car!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'll have to be PC here (I fought the urge for a while) and ask what the driver's ethnicity had to do with anything ?

• Stirrer 1

Posted (edited)

Wondered who would ask that. 

I threw it in to add some colour to the story, cos I enjoy both Fijians and Fiji Indians. 

If mentioning it makes someone grumpy, maybe i send you some honey. 😄

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Some time ago as part of my apprenticeship I worked in a factory producing insulated freezer panels. Two of the bosses and I were the only honkies in the place, everyone else was from Nuie. At 5 to 5 every night I had to tour the factory to retrieve all my own tools which got "borrowed" constantly. If I didn't they stayed with whoever had borrowed them. They took them home at night and brought them back next morning.."whats yours is ours". Shaking hands & looking in the eye was not acceptable...all took a bit of getting used to. 

Edited by yesbut

What a guy!

But I'm not looking for stories with rascist overtones. 

How about a good news with honey story Yesbut do you have one?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I'll have to be PC here (I fought the urge for a while) and ask what the driver's ethnicity had to do with anything ?

If you are selling honey at an agricultural show or similar, as group fundraiser, Indians and Asians are always the best customers - if they are older, they all learnt to cook using honey as white sugar is a very recent addition to their diet.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

How about a good news with honey story Yesbut do you have one?

I suppose it could be good news that I have lots of jars of honey to give away. The slight downer is that it all crystalised within about 3 days and is as hard as the hobs of hell.

I have to apologise to recipients...

But I'm not looking for stories with rascist overtones. 

It wasn't intended to be, all good guys who I got on well with..

• Haha 1

A mate of mine from Sweden was laying carpet at a local racecourse building one day and ask me to help him lift the roll of carpet upstairs, i couldn't make it but told him to go buy some beers and ask the road workers down the rd to help, he did-they did and all enjoyed a beer at lunchtime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good story Dennis, the reward feels better if people think they earned it, and helping someone else is always good.

Bunch of guys hauling carpet upstairs, then getting to enjoy a cold one with their lunch, they probably felt good the rest of the day.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Good story Dennis, the reward feels better if people think they earned it, and helping someone else is always good.

Bunch of guys hauling carpet upstairs, then getting to enjoy a cold one with their lunch, they probably felt good the rest of the day.

Mainfreight?

Posted (edited)

Yup 😎

You know the guy? Give him some honey and tell him you are my buddy. 🙂

He was at my place this morning.

Edited by Alastair

37 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Yup 😎

You know the guy? Give him some honey and tell him you are my buddy. 🙂

He was at my place this morning.

Pretty sure I do, his name is: N****h.  He was v pleased when I got a forklift for pallets of sugar 🙂

LOL. Please don't tell me you had him unloading sugar by hand? I can hardly imagine. 😄

LOL. Please don't tell me you had him unloading sugar by hand? I can hardly imagine. 😄

No he had a tail-lift and I had a pallet truck so we got by that way....although there is that one time we had to lassoo the pallet and pull it with the Prado 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

No he had a tail-lift and I had a pallet truck so we got by that way....although there is that one time we had to lassoo the pallet and pull it with the Prado 🙂

Ha. We've  had to do that, back the truck up to a stack of pallets that just fits below the deck. Tie the palicon to a tree and drive the truck forward. Did this up til last year when we adopted a fork lift. 

• Like 1

On 4/03/2020 at 10:04 AM, Alastair said:

Good story Sailabee. 

I have changed the odd tyre for others, and never got anything. I can see if I was a non beekeeper, a jar of honey from the person who made it, would have really hit the spot.

Good thinking having a jar in the car!

I always try and have two 500gram jars in the truck, always gets a smile  or a thank you

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Lovely story for first post @Carol Thompson, welcome to the forum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/03/2020 at 10:24 AM, yesbut said:

such a nelson thing to say. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I also noted that the gender of the driver was sexist.  It was a male!

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we did away with many adjectives and nouns?!  Although it would decrease the size of postings and emails.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Agree 1