Beekeepers in China Hanging Themselves

Beekeeping in China is a tough job. The situation for some of these guys has gone from bad, to terrible. There is no social welfare safety net in China. For some of these poor folks they can see no way out, just kill themselves. 

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.amppr...-idUSKCN20K14Q

And here is a surprise, the situation in Europe. From another forum, I quote German beekeeper Bernhard Heuvel.  QUOTE -  "We regularly have commercial beekeepers hanging themselves in Germany, too. Last year one, this year already another. Since we only have 83 full time commercial beekeepers, that is a real loss.-

All beekeepers of the World that make a living of honey have the same problem: bulk market prizes are at dumping levels and well below the production costs. In Germany we produce honey for 6.90 Euros per kg. Bulk market prices are from 3.40-3.80 Euros. So you pay more than 3 Euros to make someone buy your bulk honey. Same situation in all other member countries in the EU. For example in Poland the production costs are 3.74 Euros, bulk honey 2.80 Euros. Ukraine production costs 1.80 Euros, bulk honey at or below 1 Euro at the moment. And so on. It is the same situation for honey producers everywhere.

On the other hand, the customer prizes in the supermarkets are at all time highs. In Germany between 13 to 18 Euros per kg honey. So the producer gets 3.40 Euros and the supermarkets sell it for 13 Euros per kg honey...

Fair share for everyone would solve the problems immediately. But since then, the producers can't make a living. Which often ends up in a tragedy.

We don't have a pollination business in Germany, so we can't compensate the low honey prices. And we will never have, because we don't have much agriculture anymore. Of course there are "farmers" here. But compared to the global agriculture, this is hobby. We import all the food that we eat, and others produce it much cheaper and more efficient than we ever could. To be honest, that is true for commercial beeekeeping, too. It is the love for bees and farming, that keeps us kicking".

• Sad 3
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year was made some research of honey offered in jars  at the stands on some main touristic routes. If I recall right of some 60 samples one can be called honey. I said OK, BUT NO ONE IS ARRESTED

Beekeeping in China is a tough job. The situation for some of these guys has gone from bad, to terrible. There is no social welfare safety net in China. For some of these poor folks they can see no wa

I realise. The depressed honey market is caused by man made honey. It needs better public attention 

19 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Beekeeping in China is a tough job. The situation for some of these guys has gone from bad, to terrible. There is no social welfare safety net in China. For some of these poor folks they can see no way out, just kill themselves. 

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.amppr...-idUSKCN20K14Q

And here is a surprise, the situation in Europe. From another forum, I quote German beekeeper Bernhard Heuvel.  QUOTE -  "We regularly have commercial beekeepers hanging themselves in Germany, too. Last year one, this year already another. Since we only have 83 full time commercial beekeepers, that is a real loss.-

All beekeepers of the World that make a living of honey have the same problem: bulk market prizes are at dumping levels and well below the production costs. In Germany we produce honey for 6.90 Euros per kg. Bulk market prices are from 3.40-3.80 Euros. So you pay more than 3 Euros to make someone buy your bulk honey. Same situation in all other member countries in the EU. For example in Poland the production costs are 3.74 Euros, bulk honey 2.80 Euros. Ukraine production costs 1.80 Euros, bulk honey at or below 1 Euro at the moment. And so on. It is the same situation for honey producers everywhere.

On the other hand, the customer prizes in the supermarkets are at all time highs. In Germany between 13 to 18 Euros per kg honey. So the producer gets 3.40 Euros and the supermarkets sell it for 13 Euros per kg honey...

Fair share for everyone would solve the problems immediately. But since then, the producers can't make a living. Which often ends up in a tragedy.

We don't have a pollination business in Germany, so we can't compensate the low honey prices. And we will never have, because we don't have much agriculture anymore. Of course there are "farmers" here. But compared to the global agriculture, this is hobby. We import all the food that we eat, and others produce it much cheaper and more efficient than we ever could. To be honest, that is true for commercial beeekeeping, too. It is the love for bees and farming, that keeps us kicking".

That's horrible. There is currently business in making fake honey. It's nearly undetectable, often done in China. Convert sugar to honey. Make a buck and sell lots. Massive industry, shipped world wide via trading posts that hide origin.

• Sad 1

Can't process the whole of Germany has only 83 full time commercials - there are towns, never mind cities in NZ with more than that, and many urban streets with more hobbyists that that.

Posted (edited)

Did a Google and searched this up -

"There are about 130.000 beekeepers in Germany who have around 870.000 bee-colonies. 96% of the beekeepers have up to 25 bee hives, 3% between 26 to 50 and 1% have more than 50 beehives. The average honey production is 20-30kg per year per hive, totaling about 15.000 – 25.000 tons of honey per year".

http://icyb.cz/germany/

To some people, more than 50 hives would be commercial, but i guess it depends where Bernhard is drawing the line.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

commercial means that your primary source of income is beekeeping.

mind you the german beekeepers cant produce a commodity that sells for an overinflated price, while having to pay way higher taxes and facing even more ridiculous regulations.

so those that are commercial there actually do have to know a thing or two.

• Good Info 2
16 minutes ago, Christi An said:

commercial means that your primary source of income is beekeeping.

mind you the german beekeepers cant produce a commodity that sells for an overinflated price, while having to pay way higher taxes and facing even more ridiculous regulations.

so those that are commercial there actually do have to know a thing or two.

Is the production of honey as heavily subsidised as most agriculture in the Eu?

48 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Is the production of honey as heavily subsidised as most agriculture in the Eu?

not that i know of. Beekeeping does not have as big of a lobby as other agricultural fields...

• Good Info 1
9 hours ago, Alastair said:

How's things where you are Goran?

Last year was made some research of honey offered in jars  at the stands on some main touristic routes. If I recall right of some 60 samples one can be called honey. I said OK, BUT NO ONE IS ARRESTED OR FINED.. So info is just for amusement or to we think something will be changed.. Overall it seems it isn't random, it is well organized.My optimism about changes is ankle high. It is said that " honey" is sugar syrup in various forms and colors with added flavors. In meantime they expect from real beeks to match the price of our honey with these mumbo jumbo. I have some  honey sitting in the barrel.. No one asks, and I won't give excellent honey for the price of beet sugar diluted with water. So far as I am not in debts, but looking to reduce heavily colony numbers. Since I am not willing to stack barrels which I cannot sell for at least decent price. I think my spine worth more and investing to storing honey is also cost with doubtful return..

Edited by Goran
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

I'm repeating myself but there is a publicly available Apimondia report that states 40% of all honeys are adulterated I imagine that is in addition to non (fake) honey.

There has to be a marketing angle there.

10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Sorry to hear about that Goran. This fake honey problem seems to be very widespread! 😳

Should not be much of surprise.. The GREED is what determine us as civilization, " humanity" is just in use for political speech or to blur obvious..

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, Goran said:

Should not be much of surprise.. The GREED is what determine us as civilization, " humanity" is just in use for political speech or to blur obvious..

And ignorance. Also greed from the consumer, buying the cheapest. 

I knew someone who went to apimondia. The testing was dubious at best. Not accurate. 

Some way of authenticating bee made honey? Bit like UMF,?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

And ignorance. Also greed from the consumer, buying the cheapest. 

I knew someone who went to apimondia. The testing was dubious at best. Not accurate. 

Some way of authenticating bee made honey? Bit like UMF,?

That was the point of C4 testing, but as we all know, doesn't work well for manuka for example.