Alastair

Cellphones and Bees

For some time there has been reaction against any new cellphone technology, and one of the arguments used is that cellphone towers and cellphones hurt bees.

However few beekeepers have ever taken this seriously because it's always been hearsay, there has never been proper scientific based evidence.

But references to this youtube presentation have been flicking up in my feed. Its not a bee video it's about the badness of cellphones in general, but starting at 45.38, the presenter claims that if you put a cellphone in a beehive for 10 minutes every day for 10 days, after that the bees will not return to the hive. This sounds like the usual stuff we have been hearing for years, but this time it is backed by a scientific study, proving it.

I'm guessing that if I am getting this in my feeds, likely other people are also.

So have to mention that the scientific study that these claims are based on, has fatal flaws and has been retracted. Here is the link to it.

https://academicjournals.org/journal/JEN/article-full-text-pdf/DF0005361486

Unfortunately, the youtube video will continue to be circulated by those with certain beliefs, and the fact that the claims related to bees are based on a study that has been retracted will probably for the most part go undetected

However I'm saying it here, just so our own beekeeping community is wised up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

I can imagine a scenario where a beek's skinny phone drops out of pocket & falls neatly between frames and isn't missed until at home...heee heee

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Alastair said:

So have to mention that the scientific study that these claims are based on, has fatal flaws and has been retracted. Here is the link to it.

https://academicjournals.org/journal/JEN/article-full-text-pdf/DF0005361486

That document is one of the worst pieces of rubbish I've ever seen masquerading as a legitimate scientific journal article.

It is neither scientific, nor is it even a study. Don't even bother reading it, it's a waste of time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jacob said:

That document is one of the worst pieces of rubbish I've ever seen masquerading as a legitimate scientific journal article.

It is neither scientific, nor is it even a study. Don't even bother reading it, it's a waste of time.

The trouble is that the 'lets save the bees' bunch will be quoting that stuff in social media from now to doomsday, bit like the 1080 lot etc, all secure with their tin hats on trying to educate us numpties..

In agreement Jacob. However since I've been reading the odd scientific study, it has been eye opening how many of them are concocted in some way, or data cherry picked to get the desired result.

Err.. many of our migratory beeks use digital scales with SIM cards which send automated message to owner of change in weight of a colony. None of them reported that bees absconded...

• Agree 2