Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. March 2020

17 minutes ago, Goran said:

Flower buds were before the snow. Snow unfortunately still falling. Catastrophe.. 

When mentioned certain Mr. seems he wants to be known in US history as greatest serial killer.. I try to not read anything from USA, cause watching Italy and people talking that Italy will be fairy tale in comparison to USA.. That is when you put money before human lives, disgusting..

You're having a tough start to spring.

Mr T, I think he's struggling. Probably not sure what to do... He's a money man.

• Agree 2

Just now, jamesc said:

Interesting Goran ..... The only apples we have this year are the small and sour crab apples after a cold spring.

Some late apples and few pears didn't open the buds, but were greenish.. So time will tell will they also be gone after night minus temps.. Peaches, apricots, plums were in full bloom. Majority of pears like on pics, just to open in a day or so.. I think again we won't eat walnuts.. I think in 6-7 years once or maybe two times we were able to get some walnuts.. Madness.. 

7 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

You're having a tough start to spring.

Mr T, I think he's struggling. Probably not sure what to do... He's a money man.

Will see about beekeeping season. Will act accordingly.

And Mr. T.. that is done..

• Like 2

I had some of them once James

11 hours ago, olbe said:

I had some of them once James

Apples..... or crabs ....?

• Haha 3

both

Just been called by a very concerned landowner to tell me that wasps are swarmimg the hives, from his description it sounded pretty bad. I do not have entrance gaurds on because up to recently it's been too hot.

Commercial beekeepers are allowed to visit their bees if it's a livestock welfare issue, but I was hoping not to have to use that. But looks like I'll be out for a day putting gaurds on that site and others nearby, I'll be taking vespex with me also.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Had a disagreement with my logsplitter, results were splitter 1   me 0  so I am literally single handed for the next couple of months.

Fortunately I had already done an alcohol wash and inspected every frame and put in staples, all is looking pretty good for the winter which is just as well 'cos all I can do is sit and watch activity at the entrances

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

9 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

Had a disagreement with my logsplitter, results were splitter 1   me 0  so I am literally single handed for the next couple of months.

logsplitters must rank up there with avocado stones for ACC claims

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

avocado stones for ACC claims

People should only bully avocados the same size as them.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tommy dave said:

logsplitters must rank up there with avocado stones for ACC claims

3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

People should only bully avocados the same size as them.  

Yep  according to the hospital staff it is one the most common causes of admissions at this time of year, flesh and blood doesn't stand much chance against 25 ton hydraulics.

Totally my own fault but kudos to all medical staff, although we are rural within the hour I was in the air ambulance on the way to hospital and within 2 hours on the operating table and it looks as though I will get to keep the 2 fingers they initially thought I would lose

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

Yep  according to the hospital staff it is one the most common causes of admissions at this time of year, flesh and blood doesn't stand much chance against 25 ton hydraulics.

Totally my own fault but kudos to all medical staff, although we are rural within the hour I was in the air ambulance on the way to hospital and within 2 hours on the operating table and it looks as though I will get to keep the 2 fingers they initially thought I would lose

Fantastic news and outstanding emergency & hospital service.  All the best with your recovery.  

Edited by Maggie James

I've never been attracted by wood splitters. I have always enjoyed having a pile of blocks and a splitting hammer in the back yard, just wander out every now and then give another couple of blocks the message. August is our firewooding month. As soon as there's room in the shed, down come another few trees, usually blackwoods, this year it'll be eucs. They have two summers to dry before I use them...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Speaking of wood and fire, with about 2 inches of rain overnight and today I applied for a permit to burn the bon  fire which has accumulated in the back paddock over the drought and subsequent fire ban.. very simple process.. applied yesterday arvo, received midday today.

One of The small joys I can look forward to during lockdown is a good old burn up supervised with a beer. 

• Like 4

I have plenty of long straight trees and didn't need to split the awkward bit that came from a fork, just bloody minded I suppose, oh well lesson learned ( the hard way)

1 hour ago, DuncanCook said:

I have plenty of long straight trees and didn't need to split the awkward bit that came from a fork, just bloody minded I suppose, oh well lesson learned ( the hard way)

I have a special pile of unsplittable bits that I put aside for the bugs. 

I am considering building Weta City when I get the use of my hand back

6 hours ago, Stoney said:

Speaking of wood and fire, with about 2 inches of rain overnight and today I applied for a permit to burn the bon  fire which has accumulated in the back paddock over the drought and subsequent fire ban.. very simple process.. applied yesterday arvo, received midday today.

One of The small joys I can look forward to during lockdown is a good old burn up supervised with a beer. 

Hah ... can I come .... I've run out of beer 😆

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Lol, you outa of The Doctor...

I am enjoying my Mead. Potent 

3 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

I am considering building Weta City when I get the use of my hand back

Very adventurous.  Instead of a Workshop you will build a City!   Haha !

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

That right there is p poor preparation my friend .. lucky for me my bubble and large booze stash is safe ... 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

That right there is p poor preparation my friend .. lucky for me my bubble and large booze stash is safe ... 

A friend of my husband's came to stay with us for isloation. He packed something like 160 beers. He boredom drunk his way through 3/4 already ! ADHD and lockdown don't go together easily.

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, nikki watts said:

A friend of my husband's came to stay with us for isloation. He packed something like 160 beers. He boredom drunk his way through 3/4 already ! ADHD and lockdown don't go together easily.

Is he acting as entertainment and moral lesson for your kids .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Is he acting as entertainment and moral lesson for your kids .

I hope he has a copy of the game Bananagram, that would help him if he can find a moderately sober person to play with  😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nikki watts said:

He boredom drunk his way through 3/4 already ! ADHD and lockdown don't go together easily.

😂 I can feel his pain..

It’s been raining here for days.. 

Posted (edited)

The last two days on the Plains - 8.5 mm of rain.  Managed to get the winter seedlings in prior.  The mesclun mix salads can't grow fast enough, cos I am not going to the supermarket to buy lettuce.  Managed to harvest veges and freeze, so apart from carrots have got a major selection on hand.  Also traded the last week of level 3 fruit, plants and veges for anything else I didn't have on hand.  

Still have plenty of fruit to decide what I am going to transform them into!

Meant to be 19 here today, so will go and do some bee work.  Farm owners contacted and they are happy.   

I have had so much to do the last couple of days around home, I just haven't had time to get bored.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1