Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. March 2020

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Bought a few bags yesterday at Gilmores and price has jumped from the around $23 a bag I paid last year, to around $33 a bag, (all plus GST), that's almost 50%increase.

Yipppeee .... price of honey should go up shortly to ..... crack up.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Since you mention it James i did my supermarket trip today and did notice a lot of empty spaces in the honey section.

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

It seems like an even funnier world when a beek who's already up to his ears in sucrose/fructose has to go and buy imported cane sugar....I know the technicalities but from a distant standpoint it still seems really odd.

I've left a lot of honey on the hives and the plan is to not buy any sugar at all this season. I picked up 5 bags for a beekeeper buddy who asked me to do that for him.

I wanted to say in the first post I was buying it for a friend, but course, everybody doing something dodge says they are buying it for a friend, so i didn't say that LOL. But anyhow, almost all my hives are very well provisioned and I don't see buying sugar in the near future. Got a few small sites i didn't bother harvesting still in 4 boxes or so, so at some point I'll grab those boxes, after thorough AFB check of course, and they will be food supply if I find any hives lacking.

39 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Since you mention it James i did my supermarket trip today and did notice a lot of empty spaces in the honey section.

I've left a lot of honey on the hives and the plan is to not buy any sugar at all this season. I picked up 5 bags for a beekeeper buddy who asked me to do that for him.

I wanted to say in the first post I was buying it for a friend, but course, everybody doing something dodge says they are buying it for a friend, so i didn't say that LOL. But anyhow, almost all my hives are very well provisioned and I don't see buying sugar in the near future. Got a few small sites i didn't bother harvesting still in 4 boxes or so, so at some point I'll grab those boxes, after thorough AFB check of course, and they will be food supply if I find any hives lacking.

I'm gonna start feeding tomorrow onwards, some hives could still use 4L.

Pumped out an 8 hour day on the 3.5ton, one site down one to go then 2 culverts and I'm up to shifting

20200321_121220.jpg

• Like 1

On Saturday it was about 20C, I was in t-shirt. Bees were working on plums, meadow, some wild cherries started to open. Pears almost opened buds. Peaches and apricots were in bloom for a week.. Today we have snow some 10cm, minus temps... Seems no fruit this year also.. It seems our fruit trees will become ornamental plants.. This is so unnatural, as climate went to hell.. All winter we had no proper snow ( never than few cm and for couple hours) and now when plants awaken they are crushed with low temps and snow.. I think I can say goodbye to spring honey ( my favourite) and some say even our main forage will be also lost.. If it is the case.. I can start winter preparations for season 2021.. This " boost" moral and gives you strength to endure really good.. Now to worry how hazels will cope with these minus temps.. Knowing my luck they will suffer also.. And at the other hand all bright ones leaders say food should be cheap as chips.. I say on what ground is based such claim...?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, jamesc said:

Yipppeee .... price of honey should go up shortly to ..... crack up.

you could be right, already this week our sales are way up on three weeks ago 😄

• Like 1

downside of scattered hives...

i've had offers of assistance for my dunedin hives, will call those offers in if i can't get down there by end april. Was booked to fly down this thursday.

Taranaki hives, looks like i'll be driving up pretty soon and sorting them then driving back next day with a car-load of honey to extract - with nil human contact during the trip.

hope everyone is faring well. I might have been down on API-NZ a bit, but getting clarification so quickly re beekeeping has been the sort of thing that demonstrates value, kudos to @Dennis Crowley and others.

• Agree 1

64730BE5-E9A6-451D-AC97-DEAE7633320B.jpeg

41042D13-2378-4B1E-8F14-F1EB52A40964.jpeg

Games on with the wasps....

• Like 2

Just now, jamesc said:

64730BE5-E9A6-451D-AC97-DEAE7633320B.jpeg

41042D13-2378-4B1E-8F14-F1EB52A40964.jpeg

i mean, i'd hate for the wasps to starve for want of protein.

Far more efficient for them to die of something else.

I was supposed to be helping out some old-ish people by putting out vespex at their place this weekend. Torn on that one now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I'm gonna start feeding tomorrow onwards, some hives could still use 4L.

Pumped out an 8 hour day on the 3.5ton, one site down one to go then 2 culverts and I'm up to shifting

20200321_121220.jpg

Sheesh ... that's handy wee tool. can I borrow it ?🤠

11 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Sheesh ... that's handy wee tool. can I borrow it ?🤠

It's been really good, I used to spend a few grand a year renting a 2.5t and it was a bit inconvenient so I ended up buying this last year and its probably half payed itself off already.

16 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

It's been really good, I used to spend a few grand a year renting a 2.5t and it was a bit inconvenient so I ended up buying this last year and its probably half payed itself off already.

interesting .  We've always hired a digger when we needed one as I figured it was the cheaper option.

Last year we hired a 10 tonner. It had asthma ..... and shut down as soon as the Nor'West blew and the  motor got hot, which was quite often.  It also had a problem with it's guts as it had no lift stamina .

We did a lot of work with it for a month. Got it stuck quite a few times as it sank into bog holes .....

We were sat having lunch beside the road back in the spring  when the digger owner stopped for a chat. A year later...... He wanted to give us the bill for fixing the digger.

I said I was happy to pay ..... but to split the bill with the other twenty people that had hired it since we had.... 

Haven't seen the bill yet, which is a  shame as I could use it again.

I still hanker for one of my own.

TommyDave .... the hareses are a   prebait to. monitor the situation. The wasps are hammering the honey shed and our overalls as we sit in the late summer sun with an afternoon cup of tea.

They also quite like the honey water traps around the smoko room .... but they seem quite fickle when it comes to protein.

We never had much luck with the vespex .... I am wondering if there is a short window of opportunity ?

Last week I dropped 120 jars of honey to a store that sells them this would normally do them around a month. Today they called and said they are out, most of them went out the door in the last 2 days, can I drop some more. So I'll be doing a bigger delivery tomorrow.

So far, the only effect Covid 19 has had on me personally, is increased sales, cheaper diesel, less traffic and easier parking.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

So I'll be doing a bigger delivery tomorrow.

So you hope they'll all go tomorrow ?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, yesbut said:

So you hope they'll all go tomorrow ?

worst that can happen?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, tommy dave said:

worst that can happen?

Trump gets a fever & presses the Button ?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

Today they called and said they are out, most of them went out the door in the last 2 days, can I drop some more. So I'll be doing a bigger delivery tomorrow.

Yes you can deliver.  You are part of the food chain.  

You can still maintain separation distances when you do the delivery. 

• Agree 1

I just spoke with them on the phone, they told me when i get there not to enter, they have pallets outside I have to unload onto a pallet then call them to come out and get it. If there is any paperwork which there is because they have to sign for it, I have to first use their santiser on my hands.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

9 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I just spoke with them on the phone, they told me when i get there not to enter, they have pallets outside I have to unload onto a pallet then call them to come out and get it. If there is any paperwork which there is because they have to sign for it, I have to first use their santiser on my hands.

Yep.  That sounds about right.  Sounds like responsible operators

• Agree 2

Agreed. Safe for all of us. 👍

• Like 2

couple pics of what I have written in my previous post

pear.jpg

plum.jpg

quiet.jpg

primulas.jpg

rosemary.jpg

snow.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

Trump gets a fever & presses the Button ?

Overnight on Al Jazeera, Trump did a press conference stating that USA will not have a lockdown, apparently it is not the American way, so soon we will see what would have happened had our government put short-term money in front of peoples lives. Pushing a button would be only marginally worse than what could now be about to happen in the US. Darwinism is alive and well!

USA opening for easter , in about  two and half weeks .

Trump wants the churches full .

• Sad 1

Goran were those flower buds before or after the snow?

2 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Overnight on Al Jazeera, Trump did a press conference stating that USA will not have a lockdown, apparently it is not the American way, so soon we will see what would have happened had our government put short-term money in front of peoples lives. Pushing a button would be only marginally worse than what could now be about to happen in the US. Darwinism is alive and well!

Yes read that in the paper today, Trump is worried about the economy and has said "the cure must not be worse than the disease". A lot of his supporters are of the same opinion. All the same there is some logic to it. If the disease runs rampant, a bunch of people will die, the rest will be immune, and that country could be better off than China, where hardly anyone is immune and there could be more waves of disease for years. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Interestingly, on a psycopath test, a psycopath would opt for what he sees as the most practicle option, being get it done, lose some people, but we come out the other end with less economic damage. A non psycopath would have empathy for potential victims and be more likely to take the approach which would save more lives, even if it meant greater cost to the economy.

Other thing i saw in todays paper (NZ Herald), was a picture of Gun City, with massive cues of people outside, all wanting to buy guns. 😮 😲. The owner was so intimidated he called the Police but they just told him to ask people to leave. But he tried that and the crowd got angry. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

Goran were those flower buds before or after the snow?

Yes read that in the paper today, Trump is worried about the economy and has said "the cure must not be worse than the disease". A lot of his supporters are of the same opinion. All the same there is some logic to it. If the disease runs rampant, a bunch of people will die, the rest will be immune, and that country could be better off than China, where hardly anyone is immune and there could be more waves of disease for years. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Interestingly, on a psycopath test, a psycopath would opt for what he sees as the most practicle option, being get it done, lose some people, but we come out the other end with less economic damage. A non psycopath would have empathy for potential victims and be more likely to take the approach which would save more lives, even if it meant greater cost to the economy.

Other thing i saw in todays paper (NZ Herald), was a picture of Gun City, with massive cues of people outside, all wanting to buy guns. 😮 😲. The owner was so intimidated he called the Police but they just told him to ask people to leave. But he tried that and the crowd got angry. 

Flower buds were before the snow. Snow unfortunately still falling. Catastrophe.. 

When mentioned certain Mr. seems he wants to be known in US history as greatest serial killer.. I try to not read anything from USA, cause watching Italy and people talking that Italy will be fairy tale in comparison to USA.. That is when you put money before human lives, disgusting..

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Interesting Goran ..... The only apples we have this year are the small and sour crab apples after a cold spring.