Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. March 2020

6 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

if you're on facebook - search out the commercial beekeeping nz page. If not, you ok with me sending him a message linking to your post (saves a middle-man, then he can contact you direct if he wants to etc etc). Mods - i hope this is ok!!

edit, i messaged him your number and linked this post.

Alls gd .... Got into trouble on facebook and don't do it no more 🥵

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Alls gd .... Got into trouble on facebook and don't do it no more 🥵

happens. sent you a text.

💋

32 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

happens. sent you a text.

Well would believe it .... communication  in action ..... real time ..... scary stuff..

• Like 2

Saw 'Honeyland' at the Rialto last night, a Macedonian docudrama about traditional beekeeping versus fly by night unsustainable keeping. Amazing photography, took three years to make can't recommend it highly enough.

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

That's sounds like a rewarding way to spend a Sunday ..... Teaching is such a buzz.

• Agree 3

Another unsuccessful week of hunting swarms.....

20200314_084520 (Medium).jpg

20200313_111213 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Great views even if you did not find any swarms

• Agree 1

sheesh.. it remainds me when I cut out colony from a skep. But that was tidy and easy, this one is real messy.. Personally I dislike swarms, each swarm I have I feel as my personal failure as a beek.. This year cause it seems will be mad spring I am preparing in my mind for a Dzierzon if all goes to hell ( removing queen prior my main forage and going queenless into forage).. Also preparing my jenter kit for some queen rearing. Maybe it sounds harsh, but each year I remove 80-90% queens as by my merits are no good. I have lot of of failures but also shiny stars which makes me warm at heart when I saw how great they are..One old say, I tried to translate it in english, apologies to all here and there if it lost some meaning: " Glass of honey no one still drink without glass of bile which bitters it afterward; glass of bile needs glass of honey, mixed they can be drink easier." Petar Petrović Njegoš

Not sure I get that saying Goran . Maybe I'll re read it in the morning.  

The swarm was in an open bay shed next to a set up to shear sheep. The lady rang us a week ago to say the sheep shearer was a. bit nervous about so many bees close by ..... so I sent main Man down with a nuc box to sort the issue. He came back saying the Nuc wasn't big enough .... so we all went down this morning to have a looksee.

Silly bees.  Why didn't they take refuge in the dog kennel, or the wool press. It was quite lucky tha we found the queen .... popped her and all the brood into an empty box sitting on top of a box of frames  and hoped all the bees outside would walk in.

We'll see what happens.

Joke for the night ...

We all know why the Coro Virus won't hang around for long ..... It was made in China ....🤠

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

if they have made comb and have capped brood, it is no longer a swarm :) 

What you have there Sir, is a disaster..

Is it all boxed up now?

7 hours ago, ChrisM said:

if they have made comb and have capped brood, it is no longer a swarm :) 

What you have there Sir, is a disaster..

Is it all boxed up now?

A very sticky disaster .... but I think we sorted it .

Been self isolating  today in the extracting room..... spinning  out some beautifull honey ..... clover of course ....

CB91687A-E31C-422A-BCC9-67279C4494D4.jpeg

• Like 2

On 17/03/2020 at 7:28 PM, jamesc said:

Ha... we did better tha yebutt today... views were’nt as impressive.

94A4F405-16F7-4E12-BCDD-AE4C8FEC1B8B.jpeg

7AC18BE7-250F-4552-91A8-6567FED24D6C.jpeg

And we even found the Queen.

Iv got one in a tree branch next to my site, gonna vacuum it up one day soon

Those tree swarms I like to punch a bit of 91 octane in there followed by a squirt of expanding foam.. goodnight Vienna 

• Agree 1

The beek who has bees on my place took the honey off , with escape boards,  a week ago .

Tonight he is taking the hives away .

So I can now open my hives up , have a good look through and put strips in.

I have been using the vapouriser once or twice a week since beginning of feb .

Today we were all set to extract more honey.

Alarm went off at 5.30am and Jimmy crawled out of the pit to hook into some coffee and then stagger out in the darkness to The Shed to switch on sumps and water heaters so all would be ready to push green for go at 8.00am.

Only Jimmy forgot that the power board were closing the network down at 9.00am for maintenance.

BGR.

No matter .... plan B swung into operation with more work on he infrastructure project.

I had. thought I could hire it out for self isolators.

EA602B4F-0132-4F28-A5D0-DC05FC4D8922.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Today I went out to check on yesterday's graft and gauge the hit rate... and found a 'ball' of bees on the ground in front of the hive! I gave them a quick poke and found a queen, so got the phone out to see if I could film it. Not brilliant footage, but for an unpredictable event, not bad either!! (feel free to flick through...)

I can not believe that you did not appear to get stung doing that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Real bloke ... no gloves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Fascinating video. I have seen queens being balled but it is uncommon and I have never seen it out the front of a hive like that. I doubt you will ever see it again but if you do you could try blowing on them as human breath seems to disrupt a lot of bee behaviour.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, john berry said:

I have never seen it out the front of a hive like that.

I have seen it when they throw out the old queen, after the young un has returned back mated.  Human breath definitely disrupts bees, particularly after a salmon sandwich!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@kaihoka all of my colonies are very calm these days. I commonly shake bees off frames in a t-shirt and don’t get stung much. Still wear a veil though... not that silly. I produce my own queens and they are all of a similar nature. However, I have recently bought some cells and I am hoping the new queens don’t disrupt the proverbial...

I couldn’t believe how tightly they held on to the queen. I would pull them off and they would fly right back and grab her! Anyways, I put her into a new hive where the cell had failed, so it will be interesting to see if she survives. 

@Maggie James she is a new unmarked queen. 

Edited by CHCHPaul
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Today I went out to check on yesterday's graft and gauge the hit rate... and found a 'ball' of bees on the ground in front of the hive! I gave them a quick poke and found a queen, so got the phone out to see if I could film it. Not brilliant footage, but for an unpredictable event, not bad either!! (feel free to flick through...)

Is it a carni-ovid19 queen

• Haha 3