Fiona S

Wax moth damage, freeze and re-feed?

I'm an idiot. Managed to forget an entire box of honey frames and I've incubated a ton of wax moth (in a sealed container). The damage is kind of localized and a lot of they honey looks fine, but the surface and corners of the frames have obvious signs of damage, larvae poo etc. I know exactly what hive this box came off, so my question to you experts out there is.....

Can I freeze all the frames for 48h and re-feed to my hive?  I have scraped off the worst of the webby stuff and they don't look too bad. 

Any ideas most appreciated :) Would hate to waste it.

Many thanks

F

48 hours in a freezer will kill wax moth eggs.  

If you have got a whole container of frames and it is airtight, use a couple of cylinders of C02 from an engineers' workshop.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Maggie James said:

48 hours in a freezer will kill wax moth eggs.  

If you have got a whole container of frames and it is airtight, use a couple of cylinders of C02 from an engineers' workshop.  

Thanks for that, I have a spare freezer revving up now, but my question is more whether I can re-feed the honey to my bees afterwards. I.e, will they be able to clean up and get rid of the wax moth poop and will any of that contamination cause dysentery in my hive etc?

One frame in particular had quite a bit of damage of the wax surface, and when I picked up the frame it actually dripped quite a bit. It was previously capped so the water content should have been fine - but it would appear the moths had changed it somehow? hummm

Images attached. Frames range from ok looking (light damage) to yyuuck

rsz_1not_too_bad.jpg

rsz_not_too_bad_2.jpg

rsz_worst_damage.jpg

rsz_zoom_out_of_worst_damage_frame.jpg

1 hour ago, Fiona S said:

my question is more whether I can re-feed the honey to my bees afterwards

They will be fine and will get tidied up.  Depending on what other feed is in the hive, will depend on how much they use as feed.  

At this time of the year don't go putting wets or frames of honey on or into a hive during the day.  Wait until dusk, the temperature has dropped and the hives are in the shade.  Otherwise you will have mega robbing.  If the hive has a good population, they will attend to the frames at night, and generally any drips of honey in the apiary will be dissipated overnight by atmospheric dew.