Jump to content
BSB

Pasture/clover honey prices

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

27 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

There is now a whole new industry. Certification and compliance. 

I have a forklift license. Needs renewing every 3 years. First aid, chainsaw, spraying..... We are becoming in-capable of doing much on your own. Need to get educated folk in. Or the system wants us to feel incapable, so we pay some one to teach us or do for us. 

I heard that buying sprays may require a licence in the future.

I have a council tree just along the road from me.  Yesterday I should have taken a photo, but it was so absurd I think people would have thought that it had been photoshopped.  

 

Two incredibly expensive shiny clean brand new-looking 4 wd trucks turn up with two heavy duty tandem trailers.  Six people.  One trailer was put on top of another, then the tree was stropped, multiple 50L containers of water underneath the tree.  Much noise from a chainsaw.  Tree is approx 20 feet high.  Tree had two 1500 kg strops attached to it.  I came back an hour later, two small branches had been removed.  

 

Quite frankly I could have got erected my steel ladder that my daddy made in 1960, got my German pruning saw out and done the job for a 99% of the price and still been quite happy to take the dosh.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

 

I heard that buying sprays may require a licence in the future.

 This is already the law, and has been for several years - most sprays can only be bought in small quantities - to buy any more than that you must have done a course, and be able to produce the all important piece of paper. Course includes being able to compute how many litres/minute that is being sprayed.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of the current compliance costs may be driven by the fact that we are so dependant on exports and have to conform to whatever our customer countries demand of us .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

 This is already the law, and has been for several years - most sprays can only be bought in small quantities - to buy any more than that you must have done a course, and be able to produce the all important piece of paper. Course includes being able to compute how many litres/minute that is being sprayed.

I did that course nearly 30 years ago. Approved Handler/Growsafe thingy. So yes, been around for several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dansar said:

I did that course nearly 30 years ago. Approved Handler/Growsafe thingy. So yes, been around for several years.

I meant losing the right to buy any spray. 

7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I think a lot of the current compliance costs may be driven by the fact that we are so dependant on exports and have to conform to whatever our customer countries demand of us .

Mantra that we get told. It's not us, they want it...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

59 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I meant losing the right to buy any spray. 

Mantra that we get told. It's not us, they want it...

I agree. Over 20 years ago when it became apparent that food and safety regulations would be imposed on the industry under the Animal Products Act, we were told it was being driven by Brussels and if we wanted to export to the EU then we had to conform.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

 

I agree. Over 20 years ago when it became apparent that food and safety regulations would be imposed on the industry under the Animal Products Act, we were told it was being driven by Brussels and if we wanted to export to the EU then we had to conform.   

Is it true ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Is it true ?

I'm sure it is true that is what we in NZ were told.

Whether or not Brussels said such a thing is unlikely as Brussels is not a person. Out of all the people in Brussels, I'm sure at least one of them would be keen to say such a thing, but in reality nothing in politics is completely true nor completely false, it is politics and that is all you can say about that.

IMO It is generally better in politics NOT to do what you are told, get away with it for as long as you can and then ask forgiveness later.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that has certainly worked for Winnie for quite a few years, and to a lesser extent, the Greens.

 

Speaking of which, Jacinda's perspective on the current circumstances be like words from the old Stealers Wheel song, "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here i am stuck in the middle with you". 😁

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I'm sure it is true that is what we in NZ were told.

Whether or not Brussels said such a thing is unlikely as Brussels is not a person. Out of all the people in Brussels, I'm sure at least one of them would be keen to say such a thing, but in reality nothing in politics is completely true nor completely false, it is politics and that is all you can say about that.

IMO It is generally better in politics NOT to do what you are told, get away with it for as long as you can and then ask forgiveness later.

 

Brussels is the HQ for the EU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Brussels is the HQ for the EU

yep, I've been there. Great place for a bowl of mussels with chips. A big gap between the have's and the have nots. Moderately dangerous car drivers a 6 on the 0 to 10 Napoli scale.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

. Back to topic.

Honey prices at our local store ......1kg Pams clover $19.   1/2 kg pot  Budget clover $10.50 .

 

We've had some really strong honey sales lately ..... to the roading crew rebuilding the highway at Glenroy.

Main Man brings in the empty pots on a morning, drops them off filled the next day. . $12/kg.  No charge for delivery.

   

 

Think you have stumbled on a much overlooked possible target market, just hope they tell their friends who tell their friends....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jamesc said:

. Back to topic.

Honey prices at our local store ......1kg Pams clover $19.   1/2 kg pot  Budget clover $10.50 .

 

We've had some really strong honey sales lately ..... to the roading crew rebuilding the highway at Glenroy.

Main Man brings in the empty pots on a morning, drops them off filled the next day. . $12/kg.  No charge for delivery.

   

 

We have left honey at the end of our drive in different size jars with a container for donations. That way people can pay what they thinks fair or if they only have $2 that's OK.  Yesterday 9kg went. Works out at $24 kg so far. 😆 west coast bush honey. Yum

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YTB8TA270 said:

We have left honey at the end of our drive in different size jars with a container for donations. That way people can pay what they thinks fair or if they only have $2 that's OK.  Yesterday 9kg went. Works out at $24 kg so far. 😆 west coast bush honey. Yum

So they you are ... proof in the pud ... the consumer is prepared to pay for the good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jamesc said:

. Back to topic.

Honey prices at our local store ......1kg Pams clover $19.   1/2 kg pot  Budget clover $10.50 .

 

We've had some really strong honey sales lately ..... to the roading crew rebuilding the highway at Glenroy.

Main Man brings in the empty pots on a morning, drops them off filled the next day. . $12/kg.  No charge for delivery.

   

 

Theres still a heap of road works happening around kaikora .

Or is that too far away .

If its the same roading company they would probably all have connections .

They could tell their mates you are coming .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

We have left honey at the end of our drive in different size jars with a container for donations. That way people can pay what they thinks fair or if they only have $2 that's OK.  Yesterday 9kg went. Works out at $24 kg so far. 😆 west coast bush honey. Yum

All above board re the various regs of course...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yesbut said:

All above board re the various regs of course...

 

Of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/03/2020 at 7:49 PM, frazzledfozzle said:


I have to disagree strongly, the problem is very definitely with Manuka just as much as any other honeys.


I also believe there is probably more blending going on now than there was before the MPI standard

 

You need to define blending. Do you mean blending of multiple sources of Manuka Honey to achieve MPI Science Definition or do you refer to the old blending of adulterating Manuka with Bush/Clover because the rules or lack of allowed this practice and it increased profit while deceiving the consumer? - These are very different practices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All domestic sales, tourists and diagou trade sales are not covered by the MPI Science Definition.

So I'd expect both kinds of blending would be happening for their respective markets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You certainly have a way with words Frazz. 😮 😄 👍

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/03/2020 at 10:17 PM, Ted said:

OMG - have you actually had a look at Comvitas independently audited results for the last 3 years??  They do not make pretty reading and most certainly do not show “great profits” - quite the opposite!!  That’s why the business has had a major restructure with a large number of job losses.  
 

$30 a kg honey sitting on a shelf in Singapore doesn’t mean it’s actually selling.  What was the brand and when was it packed?  
 

 

 

 

 

 

Firstly, Singapore is a small market in the global scheme of things and hardly a barometer.

I am not sure that using Comvita as an example of success is appropriate? Their shareholders have not received dividends for a number of years. The Share value deteriorates and will most likely continue to fall. They will not have wanted to make the write downs. The resulting loss in share value far outweighs any tax gain. Their issues are obviously multiple and complex. The companies exposure to China is not helping in the current situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alastair said:

You certainly have a way with words Frazz. 😮 😄 👍


I could have said more but bit my tongue...pretty hard actually,  I now have a blood blister :( 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...