Pasture/clover honey prices

13 minutes ago, Emissary said:

Today our low prices are a reflection of a slightly reduced World price and our internal manuka bubble aftermath.

Emmisary do you have any thoughts on the effect of the growing awareness of the harm of sugar, on world demand for honey?

To me, it may cut both ways. Slowing demand because honey is sugar, or, increased demand if honey is seen as an alternative to sucrose.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A reality check for those with rose tinted memories.   Here is the payout schedule of the NZHPCoop.   Taking the reserve bank inflation calculator https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-poli

All honey is capable of doing great things to the throat. I’m gonna start having a spoon a honey regular thru the day. It can’t do any harm and it potentially will do much good. I’m not short of the s

MPI's manuka standards are complete and utter rubbish. I had some very good manuka last year with a high UMF and it was graded as non-manuka yet mix enough clover with it and it becomes multi floral m

Posted Images

Is the mountain of light coloured honey that was meant to be around at the end of last season, still around?

Was there much light coloured clover produced this season?  We had v cold winds up to Dec and then Jan the heat hit without rain.  The season was v short and conditions not at all ideal for great clover production.  Is there much light coloured clover about?  

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

There was a well documented case of a group of yachties at Bucklands Beach who all bought matching fibreglass hull and decks for 'finish at home keelers', completed and fully paid for when the receiver notified that they has taken possession of them, so night-time raid, and collected very quietly hidden in barns around the town. Had they not acted,   they would have landed up with nothing, and in a sailing mad town where no-one was going to talk.

Again I'm not so sure about that. A receiver or liquidator needs to secure the assets, decide if the operation is viable and then conduct asset sales in order to repay the secured creditor or other creditors.  If an asset is temporarily in the possession of a business and then a liquidator that doesn't give them the right to retain them. 

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:
15 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Is the mountain of light coloured honey that was meant to be around at the end of last season, still around?

Was there much light coloured clover produced this season?  We had v cold winds up to Dec and then Jan the heat hit without rain.  The season was v short and conditions not at all ideal for great clover production.  Is there much light coloured clover about?  

Not sure. We produced a reasonable crop. But it's not super light. I reckon not a lot overall, since most commercials would have chased M. Especially in the north island. 

• Good Info 1
35 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Im in a clover light area but most will be grade 2 not much real white stuff this way

• Good Info 1
21 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Again I'm not so sure about that. A receiver or liquidator needs to secure the assets, decide if the operation is viable and then conduct asset sales in order to repay the secured creditor or other creditors.  If an asset is temporarily in the possession of a business and then a liquidator that doesn't give them the right to retain them. 

Whenever I have had debt collectors after a tenant, the debt collector has been very questioning of what belongs to me, and what belongs to the tenant and what my relationship is with the tenant.  And the debt collectors varied from patched people , court collectors, financial institutions - all scary people - I would hate to be on the wrong side of them.  

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

I gotta say I didn’t expect to be back on the tools what with me drums of so called gold sitting in someone else’s shed but here I am, 30 deg dripping sweat onto stone slabs instead of top bars.. groceries to buy and regos to pay... 

04489E50-B68A-4B3D-8427-E8CC422838CA.png

Do you go to the quarry and hand pick the stones

15 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you go to the quarry and hand pick the stones

This stone is westland Schist from Waitaha and comes by the ton split specially for paving. Beautiful clean face stone. Been a few years since I layed any and have enjoyed no stings from it. 

Edit.. it does bite ... one blood blister to prove it. 😂

Edited by Stoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Stoney said:

I gotta say I didn’t expect to be back on the tools what with me drums of so called gold sitting in someone else’s shed but here I am, 30 deg dripping sweat onto stone slabs instead of top bars.. groceries to buy and regos to pay... 

04489E50-B68A-4B3D-8427-E8CC422838CA.png

I pushed like however it's the stonework I like not the fact you have to take the extra work on. 

Edited by nikki watts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
15 hours ago, Maggie James said:

I think we are really going to start seeing major evidence of beekeepers going broke.  Not just beekeepers producing honey have to be wary. 

not sure that beekeepers not producing honey are beekeepers? unless 100% pollination?

8 hours ago, Maggie James said:

And the debt collectors varied from patched people , .  

do you ever feel any moral guilt?

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

This stone is westland Schist from Waitaha and comes by the ton split specially for paving. Beautiful clean face stone. Been a few years since I layed any and have enjoyed no stings from it. 

Edit.. it does bite ... one blood blister to prove it. 😂

the waitaha is beautiful.. go for a walk towards ivory lake one day if you have the time and inclination

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1
27 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Don't know what you mean.  Members of prominent gangs pursuing me because of someone else's debt was highly intimidating and frightening

I think the assumption is that you were the landlord 'setting' the gang members on to tenants. 

Not beekeepers unless you produce honey?...cough cough ( every queen breeder in the country)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
4 minutes ago, BSB said:

Not beekeepers unless you produce honey?...cough cough ( every queen breeder in the country)

Agree.  Have only ever just done enough honey production to assess stock.  

Another area of non honey production, in the past when people starting up in business just kept splitting whilst working part time, until they had the hive numbers for whatever they wanted to undertake in the industry.  

Then there's package bees.  

Maybe the trend on meatless protein diets will see people diversifying into brood production.  

Some pollination contracts honey production is just a byproduct, no doubt there's other instances where people beekeep, without the main aim being honey production.  

If bee venom or royal jelly production were to be undertaken, I doubt that there would be much honey production .  

13 hours ago, tommy dave said:

not sure that beekeepers not producing honey are beekeepers? unless 100% pollination?

Great thought - does that include to nonsense thought on here of those who like to call bigger or new beekeepers- bee havers.

• Agree 2
On 4/03/2020 at 6:19 AM, Maggie James said:

Members of prominent gangs pursuing me because of someone else's debt was highly intimidating and frightening

Hmm, little old Leeston must have changed a bit since I was there. 😶

• Like 1

Leeston has always had a transient workforce, but post quake and with dairying expansion this has increased.  Pre quake 2010 the area Selwyn River through to Southbridge (Ellesmere) tot pop 1500.  We now have over 1500 in the Leeston township.  There are major subdivisions planned.  Rolleston is expanding so quickly that many of the streets don't have signage.  Post quake there is a major government emphasis on creating residential properties south and west of ChCh.  We have some of the biggest roadworks in NZ.  Driving down SH1 from Selwyn River to Hornby it is quite disorientating because you would have absolutely no idea that you are in the Sth Is.  I very rarely go to ChCh, nothing is centralised, but when I do it is nothing to travel one route and come home on a completely new road and overbridge that was not open in the a.m.  At least our expressways surrounding the city will be world class.  

ChCh pre quake was 100 km all the way.  It is now many pockets of 50-60 km, and 80 km and you have to be v careful re speeding tickets cos you never know what speed you are meant to be doing.  It's a major earner for the Govt.  By the time I get to ChCh I have nearly gone to sleep.  It is quicker to go to Ashburton - 100 km all the way with passing lanes.  Ashburton has free parking or the first hour free.  ChCh over $3 per hour in some areas, and they are going to increase it.  And the CCC just can't understand why people won't go to the CBD which quite simply is just one big flat mass of shingle, and the footpaths are so up and down you have to be careful not to break an ankle.  Massive govt dept buildings are being constructed to get people back into the CBD.  Lots of bureaucrats. 

Like many in this area post quake it is much more pleasant to leave the car at the airport catch an AirNZ grabaseat and go shopping, cafes, concerts etc in Auck, Tauranga, WGN or Sydney.  Overseas travel by longstanding Selwyn residents (precovid) post quake has increased.  

Anyway that's my major rant for the day and most of  my friends would agree with my thoughts.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Every time I go to nelson now I am a nervous wreck looking out constantly for the new  60 klm hr signs .

When you live rural you drive to the conditions not the rd signs .

Considering the idiot speed driving I encounter on our gravel rds I  think urban drivers must never assess conditions and assume if does not say 60 or 80 it must be 100 and open rd .

6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Every time I go to nelson now I am a nervous wreck looking out constantly for the new  60 klm hr signs .

When you live rural you drive to the conditions not the rd signs .

Considering the idiot speed driving I encounter on our gravel rds I  think urban drivers must never assess conditions and assume if does not say 60 or 80 it must be 100 and open rd .

I agree Kaihoka.  I am too busy looking at the vehicle in front of me and negotiating road works and cones, to take my eye off the road and read the ever changing speed signs, not to mention the forever changing lane options.  Cheaper to get a ticket than risk damaging a vehicle or injury to someone.  It is nothing for there to be three different speed limits in a space of 300 m.  Like yourself I am a great believer in driving to the conditions.  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Maggie James said:

I agree Kaihoka.  I am too busy looking at the vehicle in front of me and negotiating road works and cones, to take my eye off the road and read the ever changing speed signs, not to mention the forever changing lane options.  Cheaper to get a ticket than risk damaging a vehicle or injury to someone.  It is nothing for there to be three different speed limits in a space of 300 m.  Like yourself I am a great believer in driving to the conditions.  

You cannot even start to imagine the cone-ology in rural Auck, and they are placed about 2 metres apart maximum - the companies charge our illustrious council everytime they pick one up or put it down, plus a daily hire rate. In Aussie to stop this game the govt bought in a rule that the must be 4 metres apart, but Auck City Council ain't that smart, and there are literally hundreds of thousands of them we are paying for on an ongoing basis.

• Good Info 1
8 hours ago, Sailabee said:

You cannot even start to imagine the cone-ology in rural Auck

Love the word cone-ology.  Interesting it could be confused with oncology.  Unfortunately it's got a hyphen so won't be able to use it with scrabble head family.

I note that traffic management is now an NZQA qual and yes.....  there is a major emphasis on cone-ology.

So what has all this got to do with pasture and clover honey prices?  Actually heaps.  Because of all the compliance costs through obligations imposed on producers, extractors and packers this has had major impact (along with the manuka bust and boom) on the price of honey on the supermarket shelf, so much so that the average punter can't afford to put the stuff in their trolley.  In fact compliance, increased insurance premiums etc is making NZ such an expensive place to live and breath.  There is actually the possibility that all this compliance could be stifling business and could perhaps lead us to a third world economy.   

Several elections ago the National Party campaigned they would cut bureaucratic costs.  Can't say I saw evidence of it.  There is a general election later this year... now there's a thought...

• Like 2

There is now a whole new industry. Certification and compliance. 

I have a forklift license. Needs renewing every 3 years. First aid, chainsaw, spraying..... We are becoming in-capable of doing much on your own. Need to get educated folk in. Or the system wants us to feel incapable, so we pay some one to teach us or do for us. 

I heard that buying sprays may require a licence in the future.

• Agree 3