BSB

Pasture/clover honey prices

15 hours ago, Maggie James said:

The reason why these practises have to be put in a smoker, is because they don't petrol their hives & burn em.  They prefer their consumers to munch away on their toast & butter with antibiotics, oh I forgot honey as a cooking ingredient or as a cosmetic to plonk on your skin, not to mention medicines & health remedies ingested.

So, why is that NZ beekeepers want more than the world commodity price?

Please tell me that Covid & wet markets ain't taught the world nothing

Hi Maggie - These are great points. Covid/wet markets/Antibiotics all start to build a story. You need to continue adding to the story. Then remember that the 'Consumer' does not know any of this. How do you get this across? what does it mean for the consumer? How do you get the consumer to join the dots and determine that the honey is worth 'X' amount more? What is 'X'? 

I think back in the day we had Beekeepers with Mana ...... Beekeepers who were running large operations that produced, packed and sold their honey, run by people who had done their time in the bee yard with a hive tool and smoker and aching back.

These days we have the corporate bee companies dictating supply and price ,run by people who have hardly cracked a lid, let alone pulled a frame out to check the brood pattern.

Unless you have done your time on the tools, it is my thinking that you don't appreciate the finer complexity of the bee hive which follows through to the grassroots problems of the industry.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

We know there are overseas markets that are prepared to pay megabucks for what they perceive to be the absolute best in active manuka; and willing to pay for "gold" lidded jars with spoons etc, but there are a huge amount of people who can't afford this.  Surely there is a market place for lower active manuka.  Maybe with Covid and lack or decrease of earning capacity of much of the world's population we will see a demand for lower activity in manuka, or maybe just manuka analysed with only a pollen count.  Or maybe NZ honey's in general.  

Maybe that is why some beekeepers are finding that kanuka is suddenly becoming very popular with the NZ market.  The public certainly like the taste of kanuka.  

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

The public certainly like the taste of kanuka.  

Me too !