Pasture/clover honey prices

43 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I have no idea of it was being blended .  After  the account had been paid and we shut the container door it was none of my business.

Yeah fair enough but logic would tell you that at double the world market price something “magical” was happening to it to make it saleable.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A reality check for those with rose tinted memories.   Here is the payout schedule of the NZHPCoop.   Taking the reserve bank inflation calculator https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-poli

All honey is capable of doing great things to the throat. I’m gonna start having a spoon a honey regular thru the day. It can’t do any harm and it potentially will do much good. I’m not short of the s

MPI's manuka standards are complete and utter rubbish. I had some very good manuka last year with a high UMF and it was graded as non-manuka yet mix enough clover with it and it becomes multi floral m

Posted Images

On 1/06/2020 at 8:54 PM, jamesc said:

New Zealand has always been about quality ..... selling quality food to a segment of the worlds population who can afford to not worry too much about the price.

We don't need to compete with the Chinese or the Argentines, or the Canadians.

We are better than that.   

Which I guess leads to the question ... how is @ApiNZ Science & Research going with with shouting out our story to the world ? 

ApiNZ have received funding to help get that story out there story James. Not sure when it is kicking off. @Dennis Crowley ?

• Good Info 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 6:24 PM, Nuc_man said:

Well i see some sheds emptying in the south no where near as much honey as there was so price may not be right but things are moving, supply and demand will see a recovery...

$9 is a great price well done. There will always be anomalies to the trend. The outliers are always there. While there may be a few deals at $9 there will also be deals made at under $3

On 6/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, ApiNZ Science & Research said:

ApiNZ have received funding to help get that story out there story James. Not sure when it is kicking off. @Dennis Crowley ?

Its still a work in progress , got a zoom exec mtg on 1st of June will have an update then.

9 hours ago, Boot said:

$9 is a great price well done. There will always be anomalies to the trend. The outliers are always there. While there may be a few deals at $9 there will also be deals made at under $3

Hmmm .... wonder how Uncle Ted's humble pie recipe  is looking ......😏

Just your run of the mill 'white' honey .......  didn't sell a lot, but it shows there is a market out there ..... 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, jamesc said:

Just your run of the mill 'white' honey .......  didn't sell a lot, but it shows there is a market out there ..... 

Did you sell 1/2 or 1/4 of what you have in storage?

Nothing so grand as that ..... it was a sample shipment ....the customer didn't baulk at our asking price and asked to see it for herself and make a decision based of taste and texture and customer feedback.

Early days but a step in the right direction. 

On 6/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, jamesc said:

I said I was gonna park this  Post .... But ..... back in the day it wasn't like wool wasn't selling, it just wasn't selling at the right price. 

We haven't talked to 'our' buyer for three seasons. Even if I had wanted to dump it he was too polite to say what he thought it was worth .....

The catch is, when we were selling bulk  honey for $9/kg, customers were buying it. What's changed ?

The Manuka Standard ?  Nah, most of our honey went overseas, and they don't give a fig about NZ's Standard.

I guess our customers  found something cheaper ..... but as good .... questionable ..... particularly when you look at a video of Chinese Beekeepers ( No offence) ..... 

New Zealand has always been about quality ..... selling quality food to a segment of the worlds population who can afford to not worry too much about the price.

We don't need to compete with the Chinese or the Argentines, or the Canadians.

We are better than that.   

Which I guess leads to the question ... how is @ApiNZ Science & Research going with with shouting out our story to the world ? 

'We are better than that' is not a storey - You need to expand and validate this. The Argentinian and Canadian producers also believe they are very good and have wonderful natural environments. If the market price is $4 and you want $8 then your story needs to be worth $4. You then need $$$ to get that story to your target market. So how many $'s per kg are you prepared to invest in marketing your special honey? 

• Good Info 1

Good point Mr @Boot .....

Say I sell my honey tomorrow for $3.50 - $4.00 /kg and get cash in the bank .That would be great.

But say I can generate  a return of  $9.00/kg by putting it into a pot.

It's quite a lot more work ..... but with stock on hand in the shed, the potential gain is about $450,000.

That additional revenue and worth is not a bad  carrot dangling ..... if you get my drift.

So, to answer your question, my potential budget for marketing is $450,000.

Imagine the budget if the whole industry jumped in to get the ball rolling  ........😳

And the story ...... sensitive info at the moment 😘

22 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Imagine the budget if the whole industry jumped in to get the ball rolling  ........😳

So - just to poke the bear - if there was  a commodity levy vote tomorrow with 30% spent on R&D and 30% on the NZ story/marketing and the remainder on the other items that were originially proposed then who would vote in favour? Or against? And if against, would you vote if the split among activiites was different??

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Good point Mr @Boot .....

Say I sell my honey tomorrow for $3.50 - $4.00 /kg and get cash in the bank .That would be great.

But say I can generate  a return of  $9.00/kg by putting it into a pot.

It's quite a lot more work ..... but with stock on hand in the shed, the potential gain is about $450,000.

That additional revenue and worth is not a bad  carrot dangling ..... if you get my drift.

I will leave you to it. Good luck

1 hour ago, JohnF said:

So - just to poke the bear - if there was  a commodity levy vote tomorrow with 30% spent on R&D and 30% on the NZ story/marketing and the remainder on the other items that were originially proposed then who would vote in favour? Or against? And if against, would you vote if the split among activiites was different??

Honest answer ..... not sure.

Selfish answer ..... why would I vote for a commodity levy to fund marketing when I have just spent $400k on getting my product onto shop shelf, only to have it potentially pushed off or shoved onto the bargain bin because I got under cut .....

Perhaps I would be better to put my cash in the bank, contribute 20 k to a marketing levy and join the Team.

I kinda like that idea.

The only problem is the levy is gonna take a year or two to sort, and my product is on the boat at the moment, which potentially means I should get a return in a couple of months.

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

Nothing so grand as that ..... it was a sample shipment ....the customer didn't baulk at our asking price and asked to see it for herself and make a decision based of taste and texture and customer feedback.

Early days but a step in the right direction. 

are you also selling these pots on the forum's produce finder? If not, fine, but why is that? In fact why do you suppose aren't lots of people?

It is free, free, FREE.

Is there a downside if Uncle Ted et al purchases some of your fine product at a fair price?

10 hours ago, Boot said:

Canadian producers also believe they are very good and have wonderful natural environments

Don't know how Argentinians deal with AFB, but I know how the Canadians deal with.  See no.3 of this link.  A number of my customers have worked extensively in Canada in the NZ off season, & this reiterates what they have adamantly told me of their experiences.  So if they think they have wonderful natural environments they need to stick it in their smokers.  It is things such as this, that should be giving premium payments to the primary producer i.e. in this instance NZ beekeepers.  

On another note, I am undertaking a queen cell production tutorial in Whangarei on Sunday 5 July & there are some spaces available.  See forum events calendar

WWW.OMAFRA.GOV.ON.CA

OMAFRA prevention and management of American Foulbrood in honey bee colonies

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
spelling

True Maggie ..... the operations I worked in there regularly and liberally dosed their hives with terramycin to combat AFB. It worked really well ....  and made Beekeeping sooo easy !!

Edited by jamesc

The reason why these practises have to be put in a smoker, is because they don't petrol their hives & burn em.  They prefer their consumers to munch away on their toast & butter with antibiotics, oh I forgot honey as a cooking ingredient or as a cosmetic to plonk on your skin, not to mention medicines & health remedies ingested.

So, why is that NZ beekeepers want more than the world commodity price?

Please tell me that Covid & wet markets ain't taught the world nothing

Edited by Maggie James
2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

are you also selling these pots on the forum's produce finder? If not, fine, but why is that? In fact why do you suppose aren't lots of people?

It is free, free, FREE.

Is there a downside if Uncle Ted et al purchases some of your fine product at a fair price?

There is absolutely NO downside if Uncle Ted buys my honey ..... at a price that is a fair reward for  the effort that went into producing it.

It embarrasses the crap out of me to have to tell the staff that there is  either no work over the winter because I can't afford to pay them ... or those who work on essential services within the operation will have to take a 20% drop in wages .....

The reality is that the money saved on not paying wages for two  months over the winter is not a vast amount in the big scheme of things ..... but when staff show up for work they need to be gainfully employed . In the past we have embraced job creation schemes to do that  . In the present environment of limited cashflow and no confidence in the industry, it is the less stressful option for the employer to lay staff off. 

• Sad 1

Good question .....   because I don't believe the forum castes a very wide web of people of influence......

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

Good question .....   because I don't believe the forum castes a very wide web of people of influence......

It wouldn't cost you anything to try....maybe you don't want to deal in kitchen pantry size  market..

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

I had the same feeling that muggles would not be visiting the forum, Grant says he has the numbers to prove that I'm wrong.

I think unless a really large number of beekeepers created critical mass it isn't a runner.

Given all the hand wringing going on, WHY haven't beekeepers selling honey in pots been quick to all jump on this free offer?

Is there a problem where their user name and brand are linked?

Would it be better if no user name was connected to each advertisement at the public level?