Pasture/clover honey prices

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

so if you really don't want 8 bucks a kilo, then keep on thinking like that.

It hasn't  worked with Lotto so far.

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A reality check for those with rose tinted memories.   Here is the payout schedule of the NZHPCoop.   Taking the reserve bank inflation calculator https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-poli

All honey is capable of doing great things to the throat. I’m gonna start having a spoon a honey regular thru the day. It can’t do any harm and it potentially will do much good. I’m not short of the s

MPI's manuka standards are complete and utter rubbish. I had some very good manuka last year with a high UMF and it was graded as non-manuka yet mix enough clover with it and it becomes multi floral m

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Haiaha .... you are what you eat, your thoughts become your actions .. so if you really don't want 8 bucks a kilo, then keep on thinking like that.

of course I would love $8kg but how is that going to happen?

im talking bulk non Manuka in the drum not sold in dribs and drabs from the back door.

Unless you have good tonnage of good Manuka to blend it away I just can’t see how you can get someone to pay over the odds for it.

Why pay $8 kg for the exact same product being sold for $3 down the road ?

Edited by frazzledfozzle

IMHO Something has fundamentally changed In the honey market.

I know of many beekeepers including ourselves who have Manuka honey of all the different NPA levels and no buyer even slightly interested.

I don’t know what has changed but something most definitely has.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yeah nah .... you are right Frazz.

We had a call from  our packers down the road, looking for white honey, didn't matter whether it was clover , kamahi, or rata .... price offered between 3 and 4, subject to sample  To be honest, and non offence to you Peter, but I can't even be bothered to walk over to the shed and find some samples.

On the same front, our overseas buyer was mulling over our white honey , but hasn't come back, and that was  mid Covid.

So yes, the demand isn't there, either domestic or overseas .

I think I'm gonna park all this worry about honey and selling. It goes around in circles and is self destructive.. We'll take the honey out of the financial equation and work on doing what we can with what we have.

I think that is something that Covid might have taught us.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah nah .... you are right Frazz.

We had a call from  our packers down the road, looking for white honey, didn't matter whether it was clover , kamahi, or rata .... price offered between 3 and 4, subject to sample  To be honest, and non offence to you Peter, but I can't even be bothered to walk over to the shed and find some samples.

On the same front, our overseas buyer was mulling over our white honey , but hasn't come back, and that was  mid Covid.

So yes, the demand isn't there, either domestic or overseas .

I think I'm gonna park all this worry about honey and selling. It goes around in circles and is self destructive.. We'll take the honey out of the financial equation and work on doing what we can with what we have.

I think that is something that Covid might have taught us.

Yes 3>4 is below World price. And it's 14 on the shelf. Sure nz isn't the target market....looks bad,.  What is it sold for overseas,? What's the margin?

You can see how the producers would prefer to keep it, thanks. 

I worked it out loosely, for me it's around 1 buck a kilo for drum and extraction. Thats cheap. Plus transport, labour, tutin testing.... 

For the packer of pasture  the cost of the honey would be less than every thing else involved. Bit like water in the bottle..

Crazy

so at $10-$12 a kilo on the shelf, what does that equate to in bulk?

I don't know supermarket mark-ups, nor high volume cost of jarring and the jars themselves, nor distribution costs.

WWW.PAKNSAVEONLINE.CO.NZ

online supermarket is an easy way to get on-the-shelf proices.

• Like 1

We get our bush honey into 1kg plastic jars. With the jar, creaming, label and freight it cost us about $3.60 plus what we value the honey at. Mind you we only get one or two drums done at a time so no bulk discounts. 

• Good Info 2

My experience is a standard stupid market markup of 100%, A little less sometimes depending on the product and the time of year, At the moment strawberrys are 5-6.50 per punnet in the supermarket and wholesale is around 3.90....

• Good Info 1

I've been in communication with my overseas buyer today ..... first time in many years, so that is a good start...... but I am wondering what Uncle @Ted puts in his humble pie , because if I sell my crops .... I'm gonna need some of that pie to give me the energy to get out of bed !

I see the Dew price has climbed a whole dollar, mostly due to an overseas buyer offering and paying better than most for several container loads. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I see the Dew price has climbed a whole dollar

sounds a lot better if you express it in percentage gains, i think?

27 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I've been in communication with my overseas buyer today ..... first time in many years, so that is a good start...... but I am wondering what Uncle @Ted puts in his humble pie , because if I sell my crops .... I'm gonna need some of that pie to give me the energy to get out of bed !

I’m confused!!  Are you saying you think your going to sell your crop for $8??  In that case I’ll be the one eating the now infamous humble pie.  However if you are considering emptying your shed for world market prices - well bon apetite!!

• Haha 2

@tommy daveSold at $4.00, and sent offshore, seems once the ripple threaded it’s way around that they were buying bulk the price climbed a touch.. unfortunately nowhere near james $8. mark but we are free to live in hope.. 

• Good Info 1

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was getting two dollars for clover and four for manuka. We thought we were made. New truck, new shed, no mortgage. Good times.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Yep .... I know you Guy's  out there are between a rock and a hard place ..... but it's a bit like Covid and self isolation.   You guys gotta hold the line, and with cohesion and team work comes the potential to make a living at what we do.

When one guy sells for $4.15/kg in new drums, that sets the price. 

But that is not  what our product is worth .  

Until we have  cohesion within the industry NZ Beekeepers will continue to be moaning Price Takers.

In the Meantime ..... I am experimenting with various humble pie recipes for Uncle Ted.

Posted (edited)

i think it’s probably all relative.. and Manuka was twice as valuable as clover for you back then.. 

my mate down the road used to farm lots of sheep round here many moons ago , he loves to talk about the good old days.. like when the wool value vanished so he hoarded his fadges for years and years just waiting for it to get back to “where it was” 

Also when interest rates were around 20% and the  cockies were walking away from their farms. 

Some things have changed a lot but lots of things are still the same..

actually I think you know old Cliff @jamesc?? He’s still seen plodding up the road in the saddle once he’s fed out to his beefies 

Edited by Stoney
21 minutes ago, jamesc said:

In the Meantime ..... I am experimenting with various humble pie recipes for Uncle Ted.

Make sure the recipe you settle on agrees with your taste buds!!

• Haha 1

Yep ....  Ridden a few miles with Cliff ..... a bunch of us went  down south one time to Arrowtown.  He passed me on the way home in his old Mtzi ute, uphill on the Lindis pass, towing two horses . Good truck that Mitzi !

And yes , he'd know a thing or two about knowing when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em.

We are all individuals with individual circumstances .... but dare I say it , generally team work wins the day. And that comes from someone who was never a team player.

• Like 1

I said I was gonna park this  Post .... But ..... back in the day it wasn't like wool wasn't selling, it just wasn't selling at the right price. 

We haven't talked to 'our' buyer for three seasons. Even if I had wanted to dump it he was too polite to say what he thought it was worth .....

The catch is, when we were selling bulk  honey for $9/kg, customers were buying it. What's changed ?

The Manuka Standard ?  Nah, most of our honey went overseas, and they don't give a fig about NZ's Standard.

I guess our customers  found something cheaper ..... but as good .... questionable ..... particularly when you look at a video of Chinese Beekeepers ( No offence) ..... 

New Zealand has always been about quality ..... selling quality food to a segment of the worlds population who can afford to not worry too much about the price.

We don't need to compete with the Chinese or the Argentines, or the Canadians.

We are better than that.   

Which I guess leads to the question ... how is @ApiNZ Science & Research going with with shouting out our story to the world ? 

On 1/06/2020 at 8:54 PM, jamesc said:

The catch is, when we were selling bulk  honey for $9/kg, customers were buying it. What's changed ?

The Manuka Standard ?  Nah, most of our honey went overseas, and they don't give a fig about NZ's Standard.

If this is correct I would also like to know.  Are you sure it wasn’t being blended overseas?

On 1/06/2020 at 8:54 PM, jamesc said:

I said I was gonna park this  Post .... But ..... back in the day it wasn't like wool wasn't selling, it just wasn't selling at the right price. 

We haven't talked to 'our' buyer for three seasons. Even if I had wanted to dump it he was too polite to say what he thought it was worth .....

I guess our customers  found something cheaper ..... but as good .... questionable ..... particularly when you look at a video of Chinese Beekeepers ( No offence) ..... 

New Zealand has always been about quality ..... selling quality food to a segment of the worlds population who can afford to not worry too much about the price.

We don't need to compete with the Chinese or the Argentines, or the Canadians.

We are better than that.   

Which I guess leads to the question ... how is @ApiNZ Science & Research going with with shouting out our story to the world ? 

Well i see some sheds emptying in the south no where near as much honey as there was so price may not be right but things are moving, supply and demand will see a recovery...

• Agree 1
On 3/06/2020 at 7:43 AM, Ted said:

If this is correct I would also like to know.  Are you sure it wasn’t being blended overseas?

I have no idea of it was being blended .  After  the account had been paid and we shut the container door it was none of my business.