Pasture/clover honey prices

21 hours ago, yesbut said:

Exactly my point. Which is why James knows  where he stands.  We have finally  established the "James figure" is not necesarily the market value. 

What I still don't know is how @CraBee would establish the "Crabee Figure" if he didn't at some point use James' s interesting (irish?) methodology ? Surely the "Crabee Figure" is a prerequisite to knowing if he can sell into the market or not ?

There is no “CraBee Figure”.  He looks at what the market pays for that particular product (before he produces it) then deducts his predicted costs.  If there’s no margin or insufficient margin he doesn’t produce said product and does something else with his time.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A reality check for those with rose tinted memories.   Here is the payout schedule of the NZHPCoop.   Taking the reserve bank inflation calculator https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-poli

All honey is capable of doing great things to the throat. I’m gonna start having a spoon a honey regular thru the day. It can’t do any harm and it potentially will do much good. I’m not short of the s

MPI's manuka standards are complete and utter rubbish. I had some very good manuka last year with a high UMF and it was graded as non-manuka yet mix enough clover with it and it becomes multi floral m

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Aha, I see our difficulty now,  on the one hand there's a "book" value being put on existing stock. The other is a forecast value  being applied to stock that may or may not be created.   Two different baskets of fish.

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Ted said:

There is no “CraBee Figure”.  He looks at what the market pays for that particular product (before he produces it) then deducts his predicted costs.  If there’s no margin or insufficient margin he doesn’t produce said product and does something else with his time.

Oh .... so what does he do with his bees when the margin is not there ..... I am presuming he has no employees and marginal fixed costs .....

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oh .... so what does he do with his bees when the margin is not there ..... I am presuming he has no employees and marginal fixed costs .....

You’ll have to ask him - but in my case focus on pollination and Manuka.  I run a low cost business with no staff other than family for busy times.  No flash vehicles and honey is contract extracted (don’t bother extracting any pasture/bush honey. Sugar use age is low. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
9 hours ago, Ted said:

You’ll have to ask him - but in my case focus on pollination and Manuka.  I run a low cost business with no staff other than family for busy times.  No flash vehicles and honey is contract extracted (don’t bother extracting any pasture/bush honey. Sugar use age is low. 

More bees on Manuka. The competition for good sites is going to increase, stock rates will increase. 

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, Ted said:

Hmmm ..... sounds like you is living the dream  @Ted .....  a one man band that eases and flows with the ebb of the markets and seasons.

Nice.

There is no doubt in these tight times that all of a sudden a pollination contract is worth the long nights .... and a double whammy of a bit of Manuka at the end is like the cherry on the top.

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm ..... sounds like you is living the dream  @Ted .....  a one man band that eases and flows with the ebb of the markets and seasons.

Nice.

There is no doubt in these tight times that all of a sudden a pollination contract is worth the long nights .... and a double whammy of a bit of Manuka at the end is like the cherry on the top.

It wasn’t always like that.  Used to be much bigger with staff and all the hassles that go with that!  Life is much simpler now and far more enjoyable!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I wonder how pics peanut butter will go with their new honey line .

He has been very good at getting people to pay more for a quality product .

• Good Info 1
39 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

He has been very good at getting people to pay more for a quality product .

So you've been sucked in too....I get my honey jars from him.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, yesbut said:

So you've been sucked in too....I get my honey jars from him.

Has the honey line appeared in the shops ?

2 hours ago, Bighands said:

Is Pics selling honey now?

Well I just got sucked into checking their website, didnt see any.

Well there yah go .... I talked to Pics a while ago suggesting that honey and peanut butter would be a big hit in the US ..... after a time I spent communing with El Capitan in Yosemite .... and peanut butter and honey was the food of choice while hanging from a carabiner.

Pics told me that peanut butter and honey didn't mix .... new project fro @Boot .... ah ther yah go , I've given the trade secrets away again !

• Agree 1
53 minutes ago, jamesc said:

after a time I spent communing with El Capitan in Yosemite .... and peanut butter and honey was the food of choice while hanging from a carabiner.

which route(s)?

saw clover blend at the supermarket priced $5 for 450gm today..

• Good Info 1
Posted (edited)

Fiddled around on the SW Butress and Schultz .... it was scary  ..... in the end took the easy way up to the top and looked over .....😬  Nineteen for a while ....

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

Uncle Russell tried for years to get me to try peanut butter and honey and I refuse to try what sounded like a revolting mix to me.

I finally tried some against my better judgement and it's now one of my favourite spreads. Clover comb about 50-50 with peanut butter is my favourite.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am not sure what the honey lines  are but one is rata .

From otira .

The discussion was how different my rata was from otira honey .

I think I have some  rata this yr . Some honey creamed really fast into a very pale very fine grained pretty smooth honey .

But it was not as white or solid as the otira honey .

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well there yah go .... I talked to Pics a while ago suggesting that honey and peanut butter would be a big hit in the US ..... after a time I spent communing with El Capitan in Yosemite .... and peanut butter and honey was the food of choice while hanging from a carabiner.

Pics told me that peanut butter and honey didn't mix .... new project fro @Boot .... ah ther yah go , I've given the trade secrets away again !

Did not know you were a mounaitaneer James, you learn something new everyday

6 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Did not know you were a mounaitaneer James, you learn something new everyday

Up until an hour ago @jamesc did not know either.  But a good session with the Dr after a day with the bees will make anyone an expert on anything..

LOL

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

I am not sure what the honey lines  are but one is rata .

From otira .

The discussion was how different my rata was from otira honey .

I think I have some  rata this yr . Some honey creamed really fast into a very pale very fine grained pretty smooth honey .

But it was not as white or solid as the otira honey .

That is interesting only 3 beeks in the valley this year, Glassons and Lyndsey Feary as well as the Otira Publican and Rata was all up at the top.

58 minutes ago, Bighands said:

That is interesting only 3 beeks in the valley this year, Glassons and Lyndsey Feary as well as the Otira Publican and Rata was all up at the top.

I think my friend who owns bio honey has someone who is a honey buyer who sorts that.

I am going to see if they could carry kamahi.

When I offer honey to my friends a lot really like kamahi .

I think the kamahi up this way is different . There is no quintinia in it and maybe in the north island it is a blend .

We can get pretty pure kamahi here . I think a problem would be that it granulates with a really coarse grain .

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think my friend who owns bio honey has someone who is a honey buyer who sorts that.

I am going to see if they could carry kamahi.

When I offer honey to my friends a lot really like kamahi .

I think the kamahi up this way is different . There is no quintinia in it and maybe in the north island it is a blend .

We can get pretty pure kamahi here . I think a problem would be that it granulates with a really coarse grain .

HAve you had a pollen analysis done on your Kamahi at all?