Pasture/clover honey prices

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A reality check for those with rose tinted memories.   Here is the payout schedule of the NZHPCoop.   Taking the reserve bank inflation calculator https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-poli

All honey is capable of doing great things to the throat. I’m gonna start having a spoon a honey regular thru the day. It can’t do any harm and it potentially will do much good. I’m not short of the s

MPI's manuka standards are complete and utter rubbish. I had some very good manuka last year with a high UMF and it was graded as non-manuka yet mix enough clover with it and it becomes multi floral m

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Bighands said:

What a pity the guy is deceased. He had so much knowlege. I sent him a sample asking for a pollen analysis and it can back with a trace of sodium chloride even though the site was 5 kms from the sea.

Sodium chloride interesting comment.  Is that getting into the DNA of the honey in terms of weather patterns?  Was there extreme heat in Oz, salty water evaporates, clouds laden with salt, wind blown clouds to NZ West Coast, rain with salt content gets dumped on your apiary?  Can you remember whether that apiary had a higher or lower yield than average? i.e. did the salt improve the honey production, or was there too much that the flowers got stressed?  All just a thought.  

Nowadays some the laboratory equipment is so sophisticated, it can probably diagnosis weather pattern sort of stuff.  Maybe your man was ahead of his time.    

17 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

clouds laden with salt,

I don't think this is likely. The evaporation distillation process will leave behind the salt. Rain is always soft fresh water IMO.

But, I'm pretty sure there would be salt in cow dung if you were looking for a source.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

I don't think this is likely. The evaporation distillation process will leave behind the salt. Rain is always soft fresh water IMO.

But, I'm pretty sure there would be salt in cow dung if you were looking for a source.

Bees certainly like cow dung, but to show in honey, would it not need to be within 5 km of an apiary? 

All good discussion.  

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

1881540571_ScreenShot2020-03-11at9_48_46PM.thumb.png.1e80b4014b6c4b9095e688fcfd2c40e2.png

Here are some of my test results that show difference between manuka and kanuka.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.48.46 PM.png

Interesting CraBee, great to be able to compare different areas, I’d say my UMF and DHA would be a lot lower than Nth Island Honey, here is a couple of my batch results showing non K honey 3pla levels.  

0B76319A-4E0E-4933-9265-830F593EBE2F.png

Does anyone know about the progress of the Mark Goodwin / NZB project to look at characterisation of honey so as to be able to identify honey types directly without any MPI nor pollen mumbo jumbo? That sure would be a clean sheet of paper for everyone to consider using if it works. (actually not sure if it is DNA he was proposing.... but anyway "honey characterisation"). Please can someone learned confirm if nectar contains DNA? 

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Ahem - Manuka/Kanuka pollen count!!🤣

Fair comment Ted.

It is an aspect of human nature, we tend to see what we want to see, and block out what we don't want to see.

I'm pretty sure the majority of beekeepers getting a report like the one below, would just see "81% manuka".

If I'm honest, even i would want to see it that way.

ManuKanu.JPG

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
7 hours ago, Don Mac said:

The West Coast is 15 km from my property, the Manukau Harbour is within 3 km (Tahiki River), 5 km to Clarks Beach.
Whenever there is a good westerly blow we get a layer of salt on everything.

I am not surprised that bees will collect salt especially from surface water supplies.

Don - What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of salt influencing honey production?

17 hours ago, Stoney said:

Interesting .. I met him at conference couple yrs back.. this season for the first 2 wks my poor hives endured sustained nw winds exceeding 120 km and I was surprised at box weights during this time.. I was having trouble standing upright... 

Also, what are your thoughts on extreme winds as per Stoney's comments on manuka production?

On 10/03/2020 at 9:11 PM, Goran said:

Sorry if offtopic, but when you talk about manuka..

I think I saw first jars of your manuka honey in one our local buy/sell site - 500g jar of manuka 5+ cost around 72 nz dollars ( Arataki honey).. Must say, there will be few or none buyers of it..

Wow I cant even sell my good 11+ stuff for 40$

A kg nz dollars

59 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

A kg nz dollars

Aaah it cracks me up. 

We all know honey is honey , some costs a little bit more to get .... if we got  $10/kg for our Dew we'd be laughing ..... smiling at $8 ...... content at $6 ...... rolling darts and cracking stubbies at $4 ......  or should that be the other way around ?

It's a funny old world .

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

A kg nz dollars

What to say.. Here people has not habit to eat honey at all. Only when they got serious flu or something they buy jar.. So the selling of manuka honey only few which were told it helps for some disease.. Alcohol and cigarettes are far more important than honey..

At the other hand .. if I don't get some extra income from bees and hazels.. I would hardly survive from month to month with my " pay".. even me and my wife are both graduate engineers.. So when you have to give around 10th or 11th part of salary for small jar of honey - hardly. That's the pay of us common mortals here and we are leaving abroad.. This corona slowed a bit, but when it pass the flow of people will continue..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
16 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Don - What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of salt influencing honey production?

Also, what are your thoughts on extreme winds as per Stoney's comments on manuka production?

@Maggie James

I do not have any data that suggests salt can influence honey production in bees.

I do know that if you have excessive salt in the soil, plants and trees will die - so that may make a significant drop in production.

Salt is one of those substances that have a dual edge - too much salt and you will die, but to survive mammals require salt.

Traditional thought is that bees do not thrive well in strong wind conditions, they use more energy to forage.

Manuka production often sees hives placed in sheltered spots amongst the manuka.

It maybe blowing 120 km/hr above the manuka, but amongst the trees and close to ground level, wind strength will be considerably less.

I speculate that the bees may forage the manuka more in these circumstances than fly across the valley to a paddock of clover.

Please note that this hypothesis has not been tested.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
2 hours ago, Boot said:

I can share a little - Most of it you probably already know. The pandemic has effected sales and distribution into China but to date the rest of world has more than made up the difference in demand for Manuka. Demand into the USA and EU is significantly up and the web traffic researching Manuka has also lifted significantly from what we can monitor. 

Obviously we will now have to see how and if distribution into these areas will slow or stop as shut down measures and transport restrictions come into action. Domestically the tourist season is non existent so the usual annual spike in domestic travel retail Manuka sales will not transpire. Pharmacy sales are quite obviously strong which for us with PURITI is a boost. 

And the demand in other parts of Asia? e.g. Malaya, Singapore?

6 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

And the demand in other parts of Asia? e.g. Malaya, Singapore?

All excellent at the moment. Last week on Japanese TV there was a piece on the anti viral/immune boosting benefits of Manuka Honey viewed by 49 million people I am told. 

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
2 minutes ago, Boot said:

All excellent at the moment. Last week on Japanese TV there was a piece on the anti viral/immune boosting benefits of Manuka Honey viewed by 49 million people I am told. 

Good, cos we pay through the nose with compliance.  Ok paying it, if it pays dividends and we are known as a world leader of quality.  

7 minutes ago, Ted said:

And what about non Manuka?

Interesting question.  Do all Asians prefer Manuka, or do they like other varietals?  Or does it vary from country to country?  

Also, what's the overall story with international online sales? Also domestic online sales?  Cos if people have to isolate, then one would presume online sales would increase, along as there are courier drivers and store people (previously known as storeman!)

Look forward to your answers.  Thanks.  

22 minutes ago, Ted said:

And what about non Manuka?

There is a big market but the product has to be at world pricing. 

13 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Good, cos we pay through the nose with compliance.  Ok paying it, if it pays dividends and we are known as a world leader of quality.  

Interesting question.  Do all Asians prefer Manuka, or do they like other varietals?  Or does it vary from country to country?  

Also, what's the overall story with international online sales? Also domestic online sales?  Cos if people have to isolate, then one would presume online sales would increase, along as there are courier drivers and store people (previously known as storeman!)

Look forward to your answers.  Thanks.  

Online sales are significantly up. Obviously I can only speak for our brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Boot said:

Is that the same brand as last year?

If NZ is superior in compliance why is world pricing relevant.  Surely there are markets that recognize superior NZ compliance and the fact we produce ultra high quality?   

Interesting and positive

The interesting and positive aspect of this comment is that online sales are significantly up. 

Edited by Maggie James
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Is that the same brand as last year?

If NZ is superior in compliance why is world pricing relevant.  Surely there are markets that recognize superior NZ compliance and the fact we produce ultra high quality?   

Interesting and positive

The interesting and positive aspect of this comment is that online sales are significantly up. 

And what about the tarriff going in to Japan- 25% I believe.