Jump to content

Pasture/clover honey prices


Recommended Posts

Just looking for pricing for pasture/clover white honey prices. Potentially looking for volumes of container plus. Basically trying to get an idea of what numbers/kg I'm looking at to see if I can move a deal forward. Preferably info from people with first hand knowledge rather than 'I've heard'

Edited by BSB
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A reality check for those with rose tinted memories.   Here is the payout schedule of the NZHPCoop.   Taking the reserve bank inflation calculator https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-poli

All honey is capable of doing great things to the throat. I’m gonna start having a spoon a honey regular thru the day. It can’t do any harm and it potentially will do much good. I’m not short of the s

MPI's manuka standards are complete and utter rubbish. I had some very good manuka last year with a high UMF and it was graded as non-manuka yet mix enough clover with it and it becomes multi floral m

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, BSB said:

Just looking for pricing for pasture/clover white honey prices. Potentially looking for volumes of container plus. Basically trying to get an idea of what numbers/kg I'm looking at to see if I can move a deal forward. Preferably info from people with first hand knowledge rather than 'I've heard'

You want an idea of price per kilo? 

Then looking for container loads?

Selling or buying? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BSB said:

Just looking for pricing for pasture/clover white honey prices. Potentially looking for volumes of container plus. Basically trying to get an idea of what numbers/kg I'm looking at to see if I can move a deal forward. Preferably info from people with first hand knowledge rather than 'I've heard'

sorry, can't answer your question beyond i've heard and an obvious suggestion, but i'll suggest it anyway:

wonder if it's worth calling a few producers directly to see whether they'd take $x a kg for y number of drums sort of thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a few calls ive said i need 6$ to stay in the game ? Not much point in producing a product that cost you to make..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm sorry ..I want at least $8/kg for my white honey .and and I'm prepared to wait as we just bought another 20kg of rice.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given what is going on in the market I would think $8 is unlikely anytime soon...or maybe ever. $6 for smaller volumes perhaps but the demand is probably not there at that price for volume. 

 

Everyone is in a different situation in terms of their cashflow needs/costs and break evens but my gut feeling is if you can make money at $4.50 a kg then you might be ok so it is likely time to get costs under control. 

 

I dont have a number in my head and it may be that as an industry we have a heightened sense of our own value in terms of honey that can be produced elsewhere ie non native varieties. There will be a price point that I can likely make a deal happen, whether it works for the beekeeper remains to be seen. Clover/pasture hasn't been my deal for quite a while so the info is much appreciated. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past, often the price of clover has been governed by the world market.  I would like to see NZ Premium Clover marketed.  In this area it is very easy to get extremely high clover pollen counts in  clover honey, and if there was a pollen count set for premium maybe that could help.  Clover honey with a high clover pollen count, tastes different from clover honeys with a lower pollen count.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

In the past, often the price of clover has been governed by the world market.  I would like to see NZ Premium Clover marketed.  In this area it is very easy to get extremely high clover pollen counts in  clover honey, and if there was a pollen count set for premium maybe that could help.  Clover honey with a high clover pollen count, tastes different from clover honeys with a lower pollen count.  

So when producers were getting $10-12 a kg for clover how does that correlate with a world market of around $4kg?

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Well I'm sorry ..I want at least $8/kg for my white honey .and and I'm prepared to wait as we just bought another 20kg of rice.

Just curious - if the world market says it’s worth $4 why do you think it’s worth $8?

My father used to say - “it’s worth what someone is prepared to pay for it”.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ted said:

So when producers were getting $10-12 a kg for clover how does that correlate with a world market of around $4kg?

Just curious - if the world market says it’s worth $4 why do you think it’s worth $8?

My father used to say - “it’s worth what someone is prepared to pay for it”.

At the end of the day the price comes down to what market you are presenting it to, and how you are presenting it....which probably means not in a giant bulk display in the middle of a UK Tesco’s.

One needs a liitle bit more finesse.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ted said:

So when producers were getting $10-12 a kg for clover how does that correlate with a world market of around $4kg?

My clover was very light, came in at 90% and I received $14/kg

 

And those in the Nth Is getting big $ for rewa rewa and manuka thought I was living on the bones of my bum at that price!

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know one thing for sure.... moaning about it won’t do nuts .... get out snd sell the stuff and then skite about the great price u got.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

My clover was very light, came in at 90% and I received $14/kg

 

And those in the Nth Is getting big $ for rewa rewa and manuka thought I was living on the bones of my bum at that price!

Yes that’s a great price but going back to your comment about clover and the world market price - is $14 relative to what the world market price was at the time??

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

At the end of the day the price comes down to what market you are presenting it to, and how you are presenting it....which probably means not in a giant bulk display in the middle of a UK Tesco’s.

One needs a liitle bit more finesse.

Ok so what market is currently saying it’s worth $8?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a pragmatic beekeeper myself. I try to get the most for what I sell but if I need to I sell for what the market dictates and adjust my business scope and scale accordingly. My queens are much better than those that are being offered a bargain basement prices but the price I ask will be coming back so I am in the same general area...I can complain about things and have no business or get on with figuring how to make things work.

 

The same applies to my honey too. Everyone's equation is different and there business make up aswell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ted said:

Yes that’s a great price but going back to your comment about clover and the world market price - is $14 relative to what the world market price was at the time??

Ok so what market is currently saying it’s worth $8?

My market....world price is only a guide.

If you go out and look u can do a lot better than world price.

Domestic price at jimmyc’s end of road honey shop is $12/kg and my customers  ask why it’s so cheap....🤨

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jamesc said:

and my customers  ask why it’s so cheap....🤨

Then they look at their gas level when they get home...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jamesc said:

My market....world price is only a guide.

If you go out and look u can do a lot better than world price.

Domestic price at jimmyc’s end of road honey shop is $12/kg and my customers  ask why it’s so cheap....🤨

It is very cheap after seeing Bush Blend and Pasture type honey for sale for $42 dollars per 2kg in a local retailers yesterday!

Same NZ honeys in Malaysia? On the shelf at $30 a kg and more.

Best offer by the same packer/exporter to the beek? $4.00.

Yep, on the shelf at 10 times or more the return to the beek.

World price is a total have! To base the price to the producer in NZ on world pricing is akin to saying the quality of world honey is the same as the quality of a very upmarket hand built automobile. World honey is not NZ honey (that is NZ honey produced, packed and exported in/from NZ).

There is a very large smelly rat in the house, i.e. large profits.

 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

World honey price includes the nasty man made stuff. Agree, the Packers are loving it. It's a thin line though. If the Packers keep prices suppressed, then Beekeepers go broke, which in turn reduces the volume produced. Shortage of supply. It would be in their interest to give best prices possible to guarantee supply. Look what happened to C. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ali said:

It is very cheap after seeing Bush Blend and Pasture type honey for sale for $42 dollars per 2kg in a local retailers yesterday!

Same NZ honeys in Malaysia? On the shelf at $30 a kg and more.

Best offer by the same packer/exporter to the beek? $4.00.

Yep, on the shelf at 10 times or more the return to the beek.

World price is a total have! To base the price to the producer in NZ on world pricing is akin to saying the quality of world honey is the same as the quality of a very upmarket hand built automobile. World honey is not NZ honey (that is NZ honey produced, packed and exported in/from NZ).

There is a very large smelly rat in the house, i.e. large profits.

 

Uh huh. This is the time of year the rats move in.

21 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Then they look at their gas level when they get home...

It does’nt seem to bother them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

World honey price includes the nasty man made stuff. Agree, the Packers are loving it. It's a thin line though. If the Packers keep prices suppressed, then Beekeepers go broke, which in turn reduces the volume produced. Shortage of supply. It would be in their interest to give best prices possible to guarantee supply. Look what happened to C. 

Sadly, the bigger beeks have become so large (in hive numbers) that they possibly don't always really need the smaller beek anymore.

If hive numbers were to really reduce from the current 900,000 odd back to the 500-600,000 mark then it would be different again.

The cost to the small operator of having very large commercials about is almost catostrophic (yes I know, spelling). An extreme example perhaps but very current.....8 hive apiary, previously very productive, now surrounded by 150 hives within 1500 metres. Some are ex Manuka dumps and some "permanent" till he goes broke....next season my bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BSB said:

Maybe non manuka was only ever worth the global price and our break evens and costs are just to high. 

Nail on the head!!  Historically the price for our pasture honey was based on the world market price and beekeepers budgeted their operations on that (low prices but no corporates either)!!  Along came Mānuka blending and the price for pasture honey sky rocketed.  That extreme blending is obviously a thing of the past so back we go to the good old days of our pasture and bush honey prices being based on world honey prices.  Undoubtedly there will be a few niche lines of varietal honey that will exceed that but like it or not the vast majority of our pasture honey is nothing special - it’s just honey!!  

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

My market....world price is only a guide.

If you go out and look u can do a lot better than world price.

Domestic price at jimmyc’s end of road honey shop is $12/kg and my customers  ask why it’s so cheap....🤨

$12kg is the same price as Pak n Save.  

1 hour ago, Ali said:

It is very cheap after seeing Bush Blend and Pasture type honey for sale for $42 dollars per 2kg in a local retailers yesterday!

Same NZ honeys in Malaysia? On the shelf at $30 a kg and more.

Best offer by the same packer/exporter to the beek? $4.00.

Yep, on the shelf at 10 times or more the return to the beek.

World price is a total have! To base the price to the producer in NZ on world pricing is akin to saying the quality of world honey is the same as the quality of a very upmarket hand built automobile. World honey is not NZ honey (that is NZ honey produced, packed and exported in/from NZ).

There is a very large smelly rat in the house, i.e. large profits.

 

World honey price will always dictate the price paid to NZ Beekeepers simply because we produce far more than can be consumed domestically.  Just because you see honey sitting on a shelf at some astronomical price doesn’t mean consumers are buying it - and even if they were the volume would be very insignificant.  Again - the bulk of the pasture type honey produced in NZ is nothing special - it’s just honey!!

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...