Thank you John, that makes sense - just wondering if you would be feeding 1 : 1 or 2 : 1 solution, as neither really stimulating or storing if there are stores in the hive.

I feed nothing but heavy syrup. It may be less stimulating for the bees but it also ferments less and still stimulates the bees a significant amount.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, john berry said:

Keeping hives in singles seems to be the new norm but when the weather turns to custard stronger hives with more stores of both honey and pollen survive and thrive much better.

We run singles and full depth above excluder. Loads of pollen stored, and I share your thoughts re how drought affects hives later. There is a flips side to your method of sugar stimulation. You increase brood production which demands higher protein diet. Ok if there's something to get, tho if not much out there, bees will consume that stored pollen. 

One January, when looking for new Dew sites I ran into another Beeman coming out of a primo block with a big syrup tank on the back of his truck. 

His comment was that he always fed the bees when they went into the dew as it stimulated more brood rearing ..... and hey presto, three weeks later he had more young bees to forage for winter stores..... which gave hime stronger hives in the spring.

As they say, now is the time to prepare for next year !

Prepare for next year ..... we haven't even started extracting this years crop.  What a strange season it's been.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For a colony to survive winter it must go into winter with young bees.  So in a cropping area, yes I feed 2:1 syrup autumn.  

A lot of this is dependent on area etc....

This season i have left a lot of honey on the hives and the hope is to feed no syrup at all, to keep costs down. But with this heat and dry i am worried they will consume it before winter, there are some heckuva strong hives still.

Where i am, the problem in spring will be keeping the hives weak. Where a lot of my hives are there is no major flow till November. I do not want to make increase and in fact i am attempting to make decrease. So if the hives are big and strong by September, firstly they will demand a whole lot of feeding or they will starve, then after that it can be a virtual impossibility to prevent them swarming.

Really, spring management starts the previous Autumn, how the hives are set up for winter. At that time we have to consider what the game plan is for the coming season. Where i am they have brood all winter, I have never had to worry about generating young bees. The reading i have done about beekeeping in the US and Canada where winters can be long and hard, a lot of those guys attempt to get 3 cycles of good healthy brood through before winter, or losses can be high.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Meanwhile up here in the winterless, rainless North, forget manuka, the new old gold is....water.  Forget adding sugar to it, this lot s going straight into the tank. Water c/o Mitre10 thank you.

drought.JPG

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Hmmmm ..... we got another 10mm his morning 😁

I was looking at the the price of bottled water the other day, and had a thought make Stella into a water truck to cart our 'Pure Mountain Drinking water' to the winterless north.

I figured I could make 20k a trip.....

Temperature here down to 25 today although feels even lower, Phew!

And thanks to that last night i had the first really good sleep I've had in quite a while. All we need now is some rain. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Temperature here down to 25 today although feels even lower, Phew!

And thanks to that last night i had the first really good sleep I've had in quite a while. All we need now is some rain. 🙂

Or a good woman

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Been there and done that, although not so sure about the "good" part. 😮

Now i no longer have the flash mansion in the expensive suburb, which was taken from me. But i can sleep in peace, when, where, and how I want, and enjoying the experience. 😉

And oh, the flash mansion was not something i ever really wanted, or meant anything to me anyway. But the good woman was very concerned about status and appearances.

Edited by Alastair

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

appearances

i have met any bee keepers who seemed overly concerned by this.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

i have met any bee keepers who seemed overly concerned by this.

Wasn’t that the thread about who has the whitest overalls?

Oh and the dry hot weather seems to be making a few members on very short fuses. Sheesh 🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1