• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet mine's the SMALLEST ! ..$40.00 from Bunnings    

This was our first bee shed. It was built in 1916 as a shearers quaters. It’s almost ready for the bull dozer.

any inside pics of this James ? hi no its all fresh as, well we have had a bit of luck, cleaned air filter out, not much dirt in it, shortened the fuel pipe a bit it had a slight kink in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Pre dinner honey nibbles with mulled wine using beech dew.  Homekill would go down a treat.  Plus bring your own pumpkin (BYOP)

Do you have chooks?  Cos I have the most amazing cake recipe using 500g clover honey and half a dozen eggs.  

Maggie - think it well past the time for you to start a thread - Show us your recipe.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

@tommy daveWork or pleasure ?

play.

I live in wellington these days. Not sure how much longer, world is pretty big.

Lived in dunedin a while (2009-15), and have good mates living in my house down there - hence the couple of hives that work in absentia cos people are plenty capable of under-supering a hive when asked based on guesswork and weather. Also why they're run without excluders. Air NZ grab-a-seat alerts means it normally costs about $100 return to get there for a weekend. I could probably figure out how many times the hives have been opened in five years, seems to work alright. Two swarms the first year as i was figuring things out, both got caught via remote instruction :)

My sister, my mum and her partner, and my dad and his partner all live in taranaki = where i lived until i left at 17. So I'm up there a bit too - especially when my three year old niece needs to go tramping and her younger brother isn't up to much walking yet. Hence the apiary up near the national park. Growing the on-call beekeeping crew up there too - helps that any honey they want comes in ten litre servings...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Good story Tommy, what do you do for a job?

faceless bureaucrat - work for a regulator, think i've posted about it on here before when phil assumed i was some guy he knew at mpi. I'm not at mpi. Nothing to do with honey either..

Edited by tommy dave
  • Like 1

I consider myself quite fortunate to live in a town where the (at the time we bought) cost of homes was low. We have a 1/4 acre section 1950’s home and close to 100m2 of garaging and storage. Over the past 12 years of ownership and 11 years of beekeeping I have managed to fill them with all sorts of “stuff” linked to the habit of beekeeping. 😄

• Like 1
10 hours ago, dansar said:

I consider myself quite fortunate to live in a town where the (at the time we bought) cost of homes was low. We have a 1/4 acre section 1950’s home and close to 100m2 of garaging and storage. Over the past 12 years of ownership and 11 years of beekeeping I have managed to fill them with all sorts of “stuff” linked to the habit of beekeeping. 😄

Photos, or it never happened.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, jamesc said:

In light of the current economic climate.... this shed has become an infrastructure project.

Finance has agreed to and approved the budget blowout.

2D0AA1B3-9014-402E-A66B-378D020DB25B.jpeg

Are you demolishing part of it for rebuilding ?

• Like 1

We pulled one of the smaller sheds  apart to reuse a lot of the tin and timber in a new configuration. Most of it is 'new' .... home milled macro and Oregon logs . When it's finished it'll just look like a 100yo shed.

Times are so tough even the nails are second hand and straightened.

I like recycling.

I got really "angry" today ..... we need tin for the roof and the Hororata school has just been demolished for a rebuild.  Main Man's wife works at the school and commented that the roof tin was all piled up to one side.

We paused there this morning for a look see ..... and were shocked and saddened to see the local demo contractor loading the tin into a skip with a digger .... destined for a hole or China.

It seems that in tough times some people are really not with the picture .... if you get my drift.

31 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I don't see complete roof plane bracing there....

No .....  I got sidetracked on doing the back wall.

0773AD06-D157-4FAC-A491-A7E6D5943A1B.jpeg

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We pulled one of the smaller sheds  apart to reuse a lot of the tin and timber in a new configuration. Most of it is 'new' .... home milled macro and Oregon logs . When it's finished it'll just look like a 100yo shed.

I like recycling.

I got really "angry" today ..... we need tin for the roof and the Hororata school has just been demolished for a rebuild.  Main Man's wife works at the school and commented that the roof tin was all piled up to one side.

We paused there this morning for a look see ..... and were shocked and saddened to see the local demo contractor loading the tin into a skip with a digger .... destined for a hole or China.

It seems that in tough times some people are really not with the picture .... if you get my drift.

We got a whole load of demo tin yrs ago .

Really thick heavy , quality stuff.

Its on the walls of lots of buildings around here now .

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I like recycling.

Loads of old high quality iron here in Otira. I will see if the LAand lord who used to own the village needs it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bighands said:

Loads of old high quality iron here in Otira. I will see if the LAand lord who used to own the village needs it.

I could trade honey for Iron ....  I have 11 sheets of 5 rib industrial long run for the wood shed/dog run  roof and need another 18 for the carport.  Suppose I could keep the 5 rib and do the whole thing in Otira tin..