Alastair

Fire Ban

The whole North Island is now covered by a fire ban.

What is the legal situation around smoker use?

• Good Info 1

We been under fire ban a while now.. Charcoal bbq banned so you’d have to say a smouldering spark producing smoker to be included.. I have couple buckets water and extinguisher on board but haven’t used a smoker for a while.. blowing on bees can at times induce a headspin 😂

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

All my hives in forestry, i use a smoker but am very careful with its use, only need smoke, no flames and have it contained in a closed box between sites. I carry water and a fire extinguisher, although if a fire did race through it would open up more sites for me, ..........(wheres those matches) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our forestry sites are closed completely no beekeeper access for any reason hopefully we get some rain soon so we can get in and do our mite treatments 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Bin raining here all day .

We have used Liquid smoke here for a number of years on the advice of an old Beekeeper

http://nelson-naturally.co.nz/shop/Adventure+Kitchen+Liquid+Smoke/Liquid+Smoke.html

we mix a cap full to 500mls of water in a pot plant type sprayer seems to work O/K not as good as a smoker but safe in a Central Otago summer especially when moving hives we have found the best sprayer $5.00 at the warehouse fancy mitre 10 etc sprayers clog up  

• Thanks 1

I have been told that a bee smoker is a tool of trade and therefore exempt from fire bands but I would hate to have to justify that in court. I haven't used a smoker in weeks and won't until we get some rain. I have tried liquid smoke but I think it's more of a  feel good thing than any real benefit. When past one of my sites today and was shocked to see a relatively large fire had been within about 50 m of the bees and that was in one of my greenest areas.Re-queening today  without smoke and some of the hives were a bit grumpy but not unworkable.

• Like 2

How do you work without smoke? Just suit up completely bee proof and let rip?

Gotta say I've been having horrible thoughts that 10 minutes after i leave an apiary there could be a raging fire, some of the vegetation is tinder dry. Rather relieved all honey is off without issue and there is not a heckuva lot urgently needing doing now.

Lack of rain has been a twofold thing, on one hand you can take honey off every day, on the other hand got to worry about fire.

Edited by Alastair

I have been using water mist spray lately.  It works pretty well when you are putting the boxes back together and want to move the bees out of the way.  Cheaper than liquid smoke also.

• Good Info 1

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

How do you work without smoke? Just suit up completely bee proof and let rip?

Gotta say I've been having horrible thoughts that 10 minutes after i leave an apiary there could be a raging fire, some of the vegetation is tinder dry. Rather relieved all honey is off without issue and there is not a heckuva lot urgently needing doing now.

Lack of rain has been a twofold thing, on one hand you can take honey off every day, on the other hand got to worry about fire.

Like John if we are in a really dry spot we will use no smoke, just rug up so they dont bite. Our forrest we in still has a lot of green still under the canopy, but still cant be complacent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bee.happy said:

We have used Liquid smoke here for a number of years on the advice of an old Beekeeper

http://nelson-naturally.co.nz/shop/Adventure+Kitchen+Liquid+Smoke/Liquid+Smoke.html

we mix a cap full to 500mls of water in a pot plant type sprayer seems to work O/K not as good as a smoker but safe in a Central Otago summer especially when moving hives we have found the best sprayer $5.00 at the warehouse fancy mitre 10 etc sprayers clog up  

I only use a water mister in the nuc yards.  Have not used smoke in a yard for over a month.  I don't buy a water mister, just recycle a window glass bottle cleaner from the house.  

Once the flow stops here and crops harvested we get robbing.  So it's not going to be easy.  Light drizzle here today, hoping for a good dollop.  Have tried the placebo smoke mixture, not convinced of its effect.  

• Like 1

Someone told me to add vanilla essence to the water mister. Tried it the other day on someone’s angry hive - a seek and destroy mission - and we never got stung. 

Data processed. 100% positive result. Needs to go in the next edition of Practical Beekeeper...

• Good Info 2

Take a kitchen towel and drop a few drops of cloves oil on it. put it into a plastic box, close the lid and let it stay there overnight.

the smell of the cloves oil acts as a natural deterrent to bees.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

4 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I have been using water mist spray lately.  It works pretty well when you are putting the boxes back together and want to move the bees out of the way.  Cheaper than liquid smoke also.

I might have to give this a try, I give them a gentle blow to clear them from the top bars and the bottom bars of the next box to avoid the squashing.. works well most the time . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I might have to give this a try, I give them a gentle blow to clear them from the top bars and the bottom bars of the next box to avoid the squashing.. works well most the time . 

Yep.  That is exactly what I am doing.  It works pretty well.  I can even spray my face thru the veil to help cool me down somewhat.

7 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Someone told me to add vanilla essence to the water mister.

How much vanilla essence did you add.

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

How much vanilla essence did you add

I just put a splash in the spray bottle. Turned the water a little bit brown. Not much science I’m afraid. 

About the same amount you’d put in when icing a cake... 😝😝😝

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

I just put a splash in the spray bottle. Turned the water a little bit brown. Not much science I’m afraid. 

About the same amount you’d put in when icing a cake... 😝😝😝

Thanks.  I will give it a try.

• Like 1

Here a couple of photos of interest

The one with the pigs is recent and that pasture condition stretches for 20km or more.
The photo of the roadside fire was in January 

It was happily burning along the roadside starting at the gate behind.
It might have continued had we not happened along

fire and pigs.jpg

fire on roadside.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4