Alastair

Cracking Hives The Easy Way

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Black Swan...?

A black Swan event from Wiki

A black swan is an unpredictable event that is beyond what is normally expected of a situation and has potentially severe consequences. Black swan events are characterized by their extreme rarity, their severe impact, and the practice of explaining widespread failure to predict them as simple folly in hindsight

We discussed them a few months ago and if I remember correctly that discussion led to my Blindside warning

If you are a hammer, the whole world is a nail. 😄

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

To see if it would help I used a spray on glue that would set and make a rougher surface the bees could get a better grip on, and sure enough, there was much less waxing in those bee spaces.

alternatively a quick sandblast (if they are unwaxed) or lick with a rough sandpaper might also alleviate that problem.

from the manufacturers perspective roughing up the injection mould would also be possible

I myself am certainly going to go back to wooden frames (and certainly without those retarded hoffman sides) for the brood chamber

37 minutes ago, Christi An said:

alternatively a quick sandblast (if they are unwaxed) or lick with a rough sandpaper might also alleviate that problem.

from the manufacturers perspective roughing up the injection mould would also be possible

The pre waxed plastic frames have the coating sprayed on which also coats the end bars making them rough to the touch. 

• Good Info 1

Not any that I have ever bought Stoney. Be good if it was the case though.

Being of Scottish descent it always irked me to pay for 30g pre waxed frames and see the overspray was coating the entire frame. 

Beetek frames from ecrotek is where I bought them Alistair 

3BB453FB-BA46-4F4E-9C38-A92E7D8EFE9C.png

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

LOL, you certainly made your point. 👍

I have not bought any for (i think) 3 years, the end bars weren't waxed on those ones, and I know that because i took note, rather hoping that they would be.

Does that wax stay on the end bars long term once they are in a hive?

36 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Being of Scottish descent it always irked me to pay for 30g pre waxed frames and see the overspray was coating the entire frame. 

Beetek frames from ecrotek is where I bought them Alistair 

That's prob why they are a pain in the butt in the extraction plant

On 12/02/2020 at 9:35 PM, Stoney said:

😂 J hook tool levers across the top of each frame cracking nine frames apart  from the frames below in less time it takes to smack the wedge in let alone pop all the frames apart.. and only have to do one end.. one tool no hassles no sweat. 

I had a group of beekeeping students today and they were struggling to get boxes apart due to burr comb. I suggested they use the tool exactly as you described.

It worked like a charm👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1