Aquila

Is it common among commercial beekeepers.....

1 minute ago, Maggie James said:

Interesting Trev.  But one of things about the forum is often the different ways of whatever, often at zero $.  So, cos because of the cropping harvest issue & ####ty bees, I am prepared to give it a real whirl.  But then again it could be related to the wonderful temperament of my bees. If everything adds up to being could, then it's good as a combined management strategy.  

Absolutely,  This is why I enjoy the forum.  There is plenty of good, friendly advice and it need not cost a fortune to get something done.

Like @Alastair wedge system.  I have used that system for years but never thought to put it on the forum.

Thanks to everyone.

Should have. Could have got me onto it a few years sooner. My back is not getting any younger. 😄

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I also tried the vanilla in the water mister.

Apart from the water having a nice smell for me, I did not notice any difference in the bees reaction to the water.

So, just plain water for me from now on.

I wonder if there is a difference between Vanilla Essence and Vanilla extract?

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Took a few stings today.... in the end I threw the gloves away, lit the smoker and taught the criters a few manners.

I like well mannered bees.

80C7F31A-4852-4082-91BA-55A83E77F0B8.jpeg

meh, that used to be normal when i first started. 

guys at work have no freaking idea what its like. 

13 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

I wonder if there is a difference between Vanilla Essence and Vanilla extract?

Tastes the same in Ice Cream.  Not sure if that helps.

4 hours ago, Aquila said:

I got stung a number of times, None were the reason for US (Not just me) stopping early one day.

You’re like a paddock of cow manure, I heard they had to work later because you left 

• Good Info 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Took a few stings today.... in the end I threw the gloves away, lit the smoker and taught the criters a few manners.

I like well mannered bees.

80C7F31A-4852-4082-91BA-55A83E77F0B8.jpeg

Once there's a seed of stingers many more sprout. That banana smell.

I usually get caught out having a bravado moment. Or, it's only a small amount of work, takes longer to light the smoker..... Working in shorts inside overalls, and those stingers on the right bicep at the glove meets overall hurt.

1 hour ago, AFB24/7 said:

You’re like a paddock of cow manure, 

hmmm....play the ball not the man 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1

as Ian Steppler said "robbing ,stinging little b#####ds, thats exactly what they were today, more stings than I have had for years, kept finding the vents on my gloves, also the tender spots on torso , didn't have too much on under the suit.  I think it must be the high humidity that we now have thanks to an ex cyclone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, olbe said:

as Ian Steppler said "robbing ,stinging little b#####ds, thats exactly what they were today, more stings than I have had for years, kept finding the vents on my gloves, also the tender spots on torso , didn't have too much on under the suit.  I think it must be the high humidity that we now have thanks to an ex cyclone.

Ours were the same. I haven't used a smoker for the past month due to fire danger. My smoker will be going today !!!

• Good Info 1

I’m still in t-shirt and veil even with the robbing the girls are behaving beautifully. Shaking frames and shifting hives...

Showing off I know. Full disclosure... I am still (carefully) using smoke. Also, just water with vanilla for the first few hives, but it is probably not a full proof system...

ps. Glad to get off the original topic!

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, AFB24/7 said:

You’re like a paddock of cow manure, I heard they had to work later because you left 

Well they sent me home due to the stoppage. What happened after that isn't my concern.

As this has now gone wildly off topic and has been resolved, This thread can be closed.

18 hours ago, AFB24/7 said:

How about rather than making a new profile to hide your identity you show your face? Or would you like your first appearance to be in court?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Aquila said:

Well they sent me home due to the stoppage. What happened after that isn't my concern.

As this has now gone wildly off topic and has been resolved, This thread can be closed.

How about rather than making a new profile to hide your identity you show your face? Or would you like your first appearance to be in court?

I cant help myself- why was there a stoppage?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I can't help myself either.  What bit doesn't Aquila get.  The last few days on the forum, myself I am sick to death hearing about lawyers, court cases etc.

2 hours ago, Aquila said:

Aquila - you are hiding behind your profile identity.  A good example of the pot calling the kettle black, I say.  What about you showing your face, or telling us your name?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

What about you showing your face, or telling us your name?

What difference is this going to make to the narrative ( ooh goody I've been looking forward to using that word sometime) ?  A lot of us hide on here. And if you are sick of reading about this and that why bother ?

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 1