Aquila

Is it common among commercial beekeepers.....

To hire someone (No written contract) for extraction, Have that person work 32 hours then go away for a few days (Which the employer was well aware of before taking me on) then replace the person with no notice? Oh and then not pay them for the 32 hours work?

Yes I'm well aware of my rights; The fact that the 90 day rule doesn't apply if work is commenced without a written contract and hence unlawful dismissal. 

• Sad 1

How long have you been in Murch ?

Since January 6th. 

Murch is a great spot unless the winter freezing fogs set in. It's been getting breezier the last few years I believe, and the fogs are not so regular.

Got a house with 2 fires.....In the lounge.....Don't ask. Been exploring the fishing in between looking for work.....Yet to get out hunting. As long as you stay away from the locals (those that have been here since before Maori populated the country) Yeah it's not a bad spot.

It doesn't sound right ..... but then  ..... there are always two sides to a story.

But, from an employers perspective .... it generally pays to make sure all the employee paperwork is spot on, plus some, because when it comes to court, generally the employer gets taken to the cleaners.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, jamesc said:

It doesn't sound right ..... but then  ..... there are always two sides to a story.

But, from an employers perspective .... it generally pays to make sure all the employee paperwork is spot on, plus some, because when it comes to court, generally the employer gets taken to the cleaners.

Pity that wasn't done and I'm not sure about using the law to my advantage

56 minutes ago, jamesc said:

18 minutes ago, Aquila said:

Should read, Not shy. 

The law is on the employees side and puts responsibility on the employer so regardless of the other side of the story the employer failed to get it right.

Indeed .  And the it gets very messy.

As an employee you can find some very good legal advice that wont cost u a heap of dough.

The lesson for everyone involved is to have cast iron contracts and make sure everyone is aware of everyone’s situation.

From an employers perspective, sometimes one needs to smile and walkaway and get the facts right before putting the head on the chopping block.

• Agree 1

You have the power in this situation, once they employed you with or without a written agreement you have the law on your side. I would go back to them and ask for the job back/or payment as agreed to, if they don't, your next call should be to the labour dept.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Indeed .  And the it gets very messy.

As an employee you can find some very good legal advice that wont cost u a heap of dough.

The lesson for everyone involved is to have cast iron contracts and make sure everyone is aware of everyone’s situation.

From an employers perspective, sometimes one needs to smile and walkaway and get the facts right before putting the head on the chopping block.

I'm an ex union rep so well versed in employment law.

I only have one more thing to say on this case.

Don't ever under estimate the stress that your boss maybe going through. 

True, he can't run his business without you .... and may well carry you when he can't really afford to on the hope that things will improve. Her expects you to switch your brain to ON when you show up for work.  

Realise that your wages come from a joint venture ,and that he employs you to free up his time to grow the business so that it can tread water in troubled times.... so that everyone has for on their table on an evening.

He is not a cash cow that can milked for whatever, and if he looses his rag that you pumped Non EU  honey into a drum of high grade honey, then so be it .... you are fired.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I'm an ex union rep so well versed in employment law

You sound like hard work. 

• Agree 4
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I'm an ex union rep so well versed in employment law.

Well then, you shouldn't need to post on here with your various questions.  You should be conversant with the law and know what web sites to visit and who to consult.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I only have one more thing to say on this case.

Don't ever under estimate the stress that your boss maybe going through. 

True, he can't run his business without you .... and may well carry you when he can't really afford to on the hope that things will improve. Her expects you to switch your brain to ON when you show up for work.  

Realise that your wages come from a joint venture ,and that he employs you to free up his time to grow the business so that it can tread water in troubled times.... so that everyone has for on their table on an evening.

He is not a cash cow that can milked for whatever, and if he looses his rag that you pumped Non EU  honey into a drum of high grade honey, then so be it .... you are fired.

it doesn't actually work like that. even if you pumped no-eu homey into a drum of high grade, your not automatically fired.

an employer is a pro and should actually know and follow the rules. 

the trouble is often the boss is a beekeeper and not a business person.

in this case its sounds like @Aquila worked for micky mouse crowd. odds are they have a history of using and abusing staff.

If it were me id grab two or three of his hives an an tell him were sorted, and look for work elsewhere. 

• Disagree 3

3 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

If it were me id grab two or three of his hives an an tell him were sorted, and look for work elsewhere. 

Thereby lowering yourself to the lowest level possible in the process...

and also 2 or 3 rotten old hives don’t exactly put groceries In the pantry these days. 

• Agree 1

Good employees are hard to find.

If you have been replaced, plus not paid, i would say there is definately a side to the story you are not telling.

However if this goes to the empoyment tribunal you will win regardless of whatever you did or did not do, because the employer did not follow procedure.

Just, you will have to prove you did actually work there for a few hours. Without paperwork, and if the employer is a blatant liar, that may be difficult.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Good employees are hard to find.

If you have been replaced, plus not paid, i would say there is definately a side to the story you are not telling.

However if this goes to the empoyment tribunal you will win regardless of whatever you did or did not do, because the employer did not follow procedure.

Just, you will have to prove you did actually work there for a few hours. Without paperwork, and if the employer is a blatant liar, that may be difficult.

Good thing I have photos of Timesheets, All text conversations, Phone calls are all recorded......

4 hours ago, nab said:

You sound like hard work. 

I've been ripped off by dodgy employers before.Are you saying I should just give up on my hard earned wages?

4 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Well then, you shouldn't need to post on here with your various questions.  You should be conversant with the law and know what web sites to visit and who to consult.  

I'm well aware. My original post asks if its common with Commercial beekeepers to abuse staff in this way.

2 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

As James said, Hives don't pay bills. Also makes me guilty of theft as a servant which is a prison time offence.....

20 minutes ago, Aquila said:

Good thing I have photos of Timesheets, All text conversations, Phone calls are all recorded......

You clearly went into this expecting trouble?

21 minutes ago, Aquila said:

My original post asks if its common with Commercial beekeepers to abuse staff in this way.

Not sure it's common, but it does happen. When the facts come out, usually turns out to be driven by what the other side of the story was. 

38 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I've been ripped off by dodgy employers before.

Is this something that constantly recurs in your life?

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Aquila said:
5 hours ago, Maggie James said:

I'm well aware. My original post asks if its common with Commercial beekeepers to abuse staff in this way.

Next time you post a topic, if all you seek is a YES or NO answer, then that's what you should stipulate

Edited by Maggie James

Without condoning  the business’s alleged behaviour  , why on earth would you commence a job without a written contract , while going to all the trouble of recording all 

conversations ( hope you informed them you were recording ) etc etc  if you are well versed in employment law ?  There are plenty of bad employers out there , but equally there are plenty of well versed in law , employees who appear to be planning litigation before they even start the job . Generally they burn out a district every few years then move on . I smell a rat 

• Agree 5

You worked 32 hours so must get paid for that.

I supervised at a job up north. The worst guy was always recording me. Cleverly in his pocket. He had issues with the company before me, and was a really pain. 

15 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

The worst guy was always recording me. Cleverly in his pocket.

Without express permission is that even legal?

2 hours ago, Jas said:

Without condoning  the business’s alleged behaviour  , why on earth would you commence a job without a written contract , while going to all the trouble of recording all 

conversations ( hope you informed them you were recording ) etc etc  if you are well versed in employment law ?  There are plenty of bad employers out there , but equally there are plenty of well versed in law , employees who appear to be planning litigation before they even start the job . Generally they burn out a district every few years then move on . I smell a rat 

My friend ran an orchard and packing shed.

Evety few yrs she would get a professional litigant through the shed who would deliberately sabotage the works to get fired then take her to employment court.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Without express permission is that even legal?

It is certainly against the law to record verbal stuff without the person being recorded being informed.

Photo images of course are fair game.