Jump to content
Mummzie

Thick Jelly-like honey

Recommended Posts

Most of my honey this year is incredibly difficult to extract- wont spin out, and when the frames are scraped instead, the honey does not separate from the wax.

I'm in an urban area, so the girls mainly forage town gardens and usually make a darkish coloured honey- described a couple of years ago as containing honeydew.

This year a large volume is a paler and jellyish.  Any  suggestions what it likely is please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kanuka. Flowered massively this year.

 

An awesome, very underated honey with lots of good things in it.

.

Depending, it may not be possible with a home set up to extract it well. If you have plastic foundation you can scrape it and get it out with one of these 

 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry/beekeeping/listing-2514733865.htm?rsqid=feb23f58cc3748b3b0512c5008feb13d-001

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree re Kanuka. I've been fighting with the stuff all afternoon.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kanuka...not usually a town section garden plant tho and the rural surrounds are orchards.

Anything else possible?

What does Pohutukawa behave like? or what would it do in combination?

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I've been fighting with the stuff all afternoon.

Whats your method of attack please?

I'm just researching nylon straining bags https://nuplasapiaristsupplies.co.nz/product/honey-filter-bag/

last lot I had to heat the goop and let the wax melt to get it separated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not pohutakawa, that is a very white honey and does not jell.

 

Nylon straining bags won't work for jelled honey unless you just about break your back twisting them up by hand trying to squeeze it out.

 

75 bucks on a press would be a good investment if you have any quantity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Not pohutakawa, that is a very white honey and does not jell.

 

Nylon straining bags won't work for jelled honey unless you just about break your back twisting them up by hand trying to squeeze it out.

 

75 bucks on a press would be a good investment if you have any quantity.

Tempting, but another beekeeping toy in the garage might be noticed- and at 6 hives my volume is not enough. However........... a weight on a sealed straining bag might work?

I put some of the last lot back into the hive on trays for the girls to clean up and they cleaned the top few mm......didn't make the usual effort.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

Most of my honey this year is incredibly difficult to extract- wont spin out, and when the frames are scraped instead, the honey does not separate from the wax.

I'm in an urban area, so the girls mainly forage town gardens and usually make a darkish coloured honey- described a couple of years ago as containing honeydew.

This year a large volume is a paler and jellyish.  Any  suggestions what it likely is please?

 

Can you describe what colour it looks like in the frame - uncapped, and then once you push a teaspoon into it?  And also what it tastes like?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

Whats your method of attack please?

 I filter scraped comb by gravity through 3mm mesh. Kanuka's a bit slow, and I find it faster to push it through a  kitchen sieve by paddling it with a spatula.  I have 20 litres of wax/honey  strainings sitting in a bucket waiting for further processing which I may or may not get around to. I made the mistake of running 4 hives over summer instead of my usual two, and combined with the kanuka season my bucket runneth over with unwanted honey. I'll possibly look out a bit of mutton cloth roll and wind the dross up in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CraBee said:

 

Can you describe what colour it looks like in the frame - uncapped, and then once you push a teaspoon into it?  And also what it tastes like?  

Not quite what you asked for- heres the honey

image.png.cdea75b37c446f02bc45ce9fefcf8f07.png

In some areas on  the frame I did see a greenish tinge to the honey in the cells I must confess I had family doing a lot of the labour so I wasn't too intimate with the frames after getting them bee-free

 

Taste.....? Help! how do you describe honey other than sweet? Maybe not quite as sweet as previously and sometimes a bit of an aftertaste.....

 

Edited by Mummzie
added taste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep that's kanuka

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

Not quite what you asked for- heres the honey

image.png.cdea75b37c446f02bc45ce9fefcf8f07.png

In some areas on  the frame I did see a greenish tinge to the honey in the cells I must confess I had family doing a lot of the labour so I wasn't too intimate with the frames after getting them bee-free

 

Taste.....? Help! how do you describe honey other than sweet? Maybe not quite as sweet as previously and sometimes a bit of an aftertaste.....

 

 

Greenish tinge in the cells and then that colour is kanuka.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

Kanuka...not usually a town section garden plant tho and the rural surrounds are orchards.

Anything else possible?

There was so much kanuka flowering around the tasman area the bees would not have to go far to find  some .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful table honey, much nicer than its valuable cousin in my opinion.. 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes get a bit grumpy when people don't bother to read posts about hobby bee keeping approach and learn about the thixotrophic characteristic of kanuka honey.  If the honey is agitated it changes from a gel to a liquid form and can be spun out, and over time becomes a gel again.

And a half jar of gel honey won't flow, but will if stirred with a spoon - and demonstrates the principle of "tickling" I posted about.

And I use a fruit press like the one described to get the honey out of the cappings if there are quite a lot.

 

Edited by tudor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tudor said:

I sometimes get a bit grumpy when

Gee, sorry Sir

But thank you for sharing the 4 year old conversation again. I promise to not ask anything again  before I have re- read the entire forum in case its been mentioned.

Your information is appreciated.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee, "grumpy" is a euphemism ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...