Braveux

NZBF Questions from a beginner

I'm not a bee keeper, however I want to do my bit in helping the bees thrive. I have a garden and have planted wild flowers and herbs which attract them. I want to know what I can do to help them out more. Also, I have noticed that the bees in my garden are half normal and half different? I took a photo and hopefully someone would be able to tell me what these bees are. They don't look like your standard bee. At least from a layman's point of view.

IMG-20200205-WA0006.jpeg

Hullo Braveux.  Contrary to what you may have read, there are more bees and beekeepers  in NZ this year than ever before. If you want to attract bees to your garden fine, but there's absolutely no danger of them dying out !  

I can't tell from the photo what sort of bee you have there for sure, but it does look a bit like a Bumble Bee, which while related is not a honeybee. 

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 2

It's much smaller than the bumblebees I have. It's honey bee sized but looks like a cross between the two.

Google "Dronefly"  

• Agree 1

Certainly looks like a wool carder bee . They are a relatively recent species that got through our wide open bio security doors. They can attack and sometimes kill honeybees and while I don't seem to do too much harm they certainly don't do any good. They might be cute but I kill them on-site.

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1