Wildflower

NZBF What would REAL Beeks do? (Be nice)

O.K ...A  bit stung from last post.😮

So gingerly, I wonder? What would you REAL Beekers have done?

Caught a small swarm today.😁

Easiest ever. Third swarm  to come to same spot on land. This time just meters away from a spare box. 😁 saw the swarm fly a few days ago.

Dropped them into  box and gave them 2 special freshly spun wets on the outside of 10 frame box. 

The other wets  from last weeks spin,  went back onto the hive they came from.

BUT..

The plastic box  that housed the wets this week since spinning is dripping with honey. By the time I sorted out my business, the bees were supping up the honey on the bottom of the plastic box.

I left it for them. 

Good? Bad?

Not sure if I've made it as a real beekeeper yet but here goes, and I don't bite, unless .......

Need a bit more info, but if the plastic box that the wets came from is just an empty box of wet frames, no worries they just cleaning/robbing it out.

If the swarm is in a 10frame box you could put the plastic box on top so the new swarm has some food and you get the frames cleaned out, if you dont want the swarm to lay eggs in there place a q excluder between, when the plastic box cleaned up take it off and store it if you dont want it left on.

I'll cast my vote, as a rather new bee haver.  I think it's quite ok that you left the honey for them.  Just as I did recently.  I like to try all sorts of experiments.  But I'm sure that in certain circumstances bees from other hives will discover the honey and the situation turns bad.  So it's normally regarded as a bad practice. 

not sure I really understand the writing in the original post.  Are you saying you left two wet frames outside the 10 frame box in the open (aka open feeding of wets) and that a plastic box dripping with honey was left out in the open too? If that's what happened and there has been no harm that's great, but I wouldn't recommend you try that twice. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I would not give any kinds of food outside of a hive in case it triggered robbing / drunken brawl.

Swarms come with their own honey so I think it is better to put all wets on the hives they came from.

If the swarm is not fed and later is found to be starving, then ok feed them syrup at that time.

• Agree 1

I believe a commercial up here used to leave their wets out in the open for the bees to rob out, warned by Assure Quality to stop and desist, continued next year, and lost their DECA as many other peoples hives in a very crowded area, so suggest making it a one off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I put 2 wets inside hive box. I put them in box as the outer frames.

Didn't know swarms come with own honey? You mean they gorge before swarming?

And the plastic box was just a container to stop wets from leaking over garage floor. Couldn't spin them out too hard because they had new comb and it was a hot day. Bees cleaned up for me and all was well this morning.

On 2/02/2020 at 8:53 PM, Dennis Crowley said:

Not sure if I've made it as a real beekeeper yet but here goes, and I don't bite, unless .......

Need a bit more info, but if the plastic box that the wets came from is just an empty box of wet frames, no worries they just cleaning/robbing it out.

If the swarm is in a 10frame box you could put the plastic box on top so the new swarm has some food and you get the frames cleaned out, if you dont want the swarm to lay eggs in there place a q excluder between, when the plastic box cleaned up take it off and store it if you dont want it left on.

Sorry. Not clear in mg my explanation 

The plastic box had all my wet frames in it. I gave the wet frames back. BUT at the bottom of the plastic box was a heap of honey. Big hot day to day.  And I was in it ALL day!6.a..m 

7 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

Didn't know swarms come with own honey? You mean they gorge before swarming?

Yes they do. 

• Like 1