Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mates wife went to collect what was thought to be a swam. looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔 Two armchairs dumped under some trees down a service alley in our little town. loo

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jamesc said:

The honey market is non existent.

Yesterday I spoke with a Beek who sold his non manuka honey this season to a well known North Island outfit.

They extracted it for $5.50 a box and paid $5.50 a Kg. plus gst on both I assume.
He was happy under the current circumstances

Edited by Philbee
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bighands said:

You are correct but with so many hives looking for the gold everyone will get a teaspoon and it will not be manuka as S.Rata flowered up high and as you know bees only go for manuka when nothing else available.

This outfit has the place to them selves , with the DOC consession .

You are right about rata but the manuka is on a big scrubby area .

 

Edited by kaihoka
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Yesterday I spoke with a Beek who sold his non manuka honey this season to a well known North Island outfit.

They extracted it for $5.50 a box and paid $5.50 a Kg. plus gst on both I assume.
He was happy under the current circumstances

I wonder how much he sold...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

My black Q hive is no more. The other three were a pleasure to play with putting in oa strips.

Up side of this is that you now realise why so many of us - particularly up north where quite a few have crossed over to the dark side lament it, as when a hive has a first cross of the two lines, things can really change for the worse rapidly. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Up side of this is that you now realise why so many of us - particularly up north where quite a few have crossed over to the dark side lament it, as when a hive has a first cross of the two lines, things can really change for the worse rapidly. 

I'm afraid I go out of my way to not realise anything pertaining to north of Hamilton !

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

hivefire.jpeg

Oh, I thought that was the fate of the Black Queen!

Oh, I thought you were telling us something !  I learnt years ago that petrol and matches seldom pair up well.

Edited by yesbut
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I'm afraid I go out of my way to not realise anything pertaining to north of Hamilton

That sounds like some sort of disability.  

 

What about south of Hamilton?

 

What about the Mainland i.e. the South Island?

I have just noted that you are based in Nelson.  Therefore can't say I understand your comment one iota.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too freakin hot for doin bees ..... the truck thermo registered 30c at 2.00pm .... so we is building a garage to fill in time.

It used to be when I was at Airborne we went home when the mercury hit 30c.

0A24FB4C-6BE9-4118-9ACC-25331E5A2D4F.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Too freakin hot for doin bees ..... the truck thermo registered 30c at 2.00pm .... so we is building a garage to fill in time.

It used to be when I was at Airborne we went home when the mercury hit 30c.

Well, this month you would have hardly been at work.

 

The heat has been horrendous.  Those that don't work outdoors, just don't understand. 

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Too freakin hot for doin bees ..... the truck thermo registered 30c at 2.00pm .... so we is building a garage to fill in time.

It used to be when I was at Airborne we went home when the mercury hit 30c.

0A24FB4C-6BE9-4118-9ACC-25331E5A2D4F.jpeg

 

I hope you have a permit.  But really why bother.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I hope you have a permit.  But really why bother.

 

Ya don't don't build a garage in the Selwyn District Council without a permit.

 

It's actually a new tutorial room for queen cell production, sniffer dogs displays, pumpkin competition, bbq socialising etc.  Therefore it has to be very big.  

 

Edited by Maggie James
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah nah ..... its another shed for this years crop. The budget is four  days and $200.

That's comparable with the Chinese.  They can build a hospital for the corona virus in five days.  Thought I doubt they have a budget of $200.  

 

Perhaps the Selwyn District Council, Resource Consent Dept could send a few to China to get a few tips on how to expedite resource consents.   I hope they don't get the virus. 

Edited by Maggie James
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Can't be that hot, cause the dudes in red bands. Nice athletes foot environment.

Just got back from picking hives up at Otira?  Obviously the snorkel and mask  have been removed

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Maggie James
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Can't be that hot, cause the dudes in red bands. Nice athletes foot environment.

Bro ..... This is the first year I have worn shorts day in day out down here for two months day after day ...... my take on climate change ..... an Red Bands .... it's either that or the line dancing boots  as the other work boots are stuffed and times are hard.   So Red bands it is , or the jandals but that would be a health and safety issue.

And while we are talking Health and Safety, the local St Johns are holding a a First Aid training  day in a couple of weeks. I think we should probably book the Team in and all   get refreshed.

 

Yah never know when you  might drop a truss on the Jandal.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Bro ..... This is the first year I have worn shorts day in day out down here for two months day after day ...... my take on climate change ..... an Red Bands .... it's either that or the line dancing boots  as the other work boots are stuffed and times are hard.   So Red bands it is , or the jandals but that would be a health and safety issue.

And while we are talking Health and Safety, the local St Johns are holding a a First Aid training  day in a couple of weeks. I think we should probably book the Team in and all   get refreshed.

 

Yah never know when you  might drop a truss on the Jandal.

If you are building trusses in Otira you will be in gumboots, cos you won't be building sheds, you will be expanding into bridges

 

Beekeeping diversification of skills in these tough times?

 

 

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

the local St Johns are holding a a First Aid training  day in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like a good social event

Edited by Maggie James
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/02/2020 at 6:49 PM, John T said:

 

@yesbut Perhaps you could put in a (second, perhaps) excluder placed between two sets of two brood boxes, with the Q in each. Then monitor their laying, and see which performs best.

 

But, that said, who knows whether your selected Q will continue to perform well, as well as how long she will live for?

 

I have no idea how Q's will perform when they live close to each other - perhaps put a honey box or two between the two sets of brood boxes? Perhaps someone might know.

 

Perhaps put your unselected Q in a nuc as a back up should the selected Q fail after a few weeks?

 

 

 

 

I experimented this year with a two queen colony using the method described above.... Excluder between queens and merged with newspaper. the 2nd queen was dead within 2 weeks. I suspect that either the two queens fought through the excluder, or one colony balled her up.  Won't bother trying that again lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok .... so the bees are definitely on the back burner at the momment..... although I do wake up at 3.00sm in a cold sweat thinking..... mites..... buy Builder aBob must be on his game as the structure stood up to a shake from  mamatunaku last night.

Interesting day.... started cool, and grew and grew until at 3.30pm when hanging yhe big end truss the thermo hit 30c....

And all of a sudden at lunchtime the robbing at the shed stopped.

Must be time to go back to ‘Work’.

CCD6EE84-548A-407B-A1BF-17D52547F0E9.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...