• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mates wife went to collect what was thought to be a swam. looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔 Two armchairs dumped under some trees down a service alley in our little town. loo

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Everybody keeps popping poor James's bubble.

Everybody is looking for avenues to create income, and the person who realises the potential in a market and is the first to "grab the opportunity without procrastination" will most likely be ok.  ....but new ideas take time to evolve, and most need an idea they can capitalise on now; utilising current resources.  

I haven't use the phrase "grab the bull by the horns" because it appears that the Chinese have closed this market!

Edited by Maggie James
  • Agree 1
2 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Everybody is looking for avenues to create income, and the person who realises the potential in a market and is the first to "grab the opportunity without procrastination" will most likely be ok.  ....but new ideas take time to evolve, and most need an idea they can capitalise on now; utilising current resources.  

I haven't use the phrase "grab the bull by the horns" because it appears that the Chinese have closed this market!

Personally I see good potential for Mead.
However the world is changing very quickly, possible faster than any of us can adapt too.
Right now I see real problems ahead for  home owners with high debt

3 hours ago, tristan said:

just keep in mind the cost of building and running your own extraction plant is no picnic either.

Agree Tristan I'm not complaining. They work hard for their money and they have a lot invested.

The beauty of my current circumstance is i own nothing other than beehives, and a cheapo vehicle. Paying others to extract and pack for me makes good sense in my current situation.

It is also rather a good feeling to go dump a load of honey boxes on them, then drive off and forget about it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Tesla? A great idea, lots of cash from investors who don't need it back yet... Need that idea... Bee Brood for a protein boost...

29 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Tesla? A great idea, lots of cash from investors who don't need it back yet... Need that idea... Bee Brood for a protein boost...

Look forward to seeing your recipes and of course your cooking demos.  Jamie Oliver marketed himself as the Naked Chef - You could market yourself as the Naked Beekeeper!  ha ha.  Take a stand at the national conference in Rotorua in a few months time.  You might hasten or increase registrations!   

Value added products from beekeeping, FAO, UN, 1996

http://www.fao.org/3/w0076e/w0076e00.htm

FAO, UN 2010

https://www.bookdepository.com/Value-Added-Products-from-Beekeeping-R-Krell/9789251038192

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Look forward to seeing your recipes and of course your cooking demos.  Jamie Oliver marketed himself as the Naked Chef - You could market yourself as the Naked Beekeeper!  ha ha.  Take a stand at the national conference in Rotorua in a few months time.  You might hasten or increase registrations!   

FAO, UN 2010

https://www.bookdepository.com/Value-Added-Products-from-Beekeeping-R-Krell/9789251038192

Interesting reading. A nutty flavour lol.

Would work well with naked. 

I see it's at the bottom of the list of bee products. Excellent protein, and apparently more appealing to the consumer compared to crickets and fly larvae.

Just need gwenth paltrow to endorse, 

Or another social dork..

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

And my good extracting people need a few days to catch up, so here's the last couple days activities, these things do actually sell for good money. 👍

IMG_1800.jpg

Who to? What's the point? 

Nice tidy site

11 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:
1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

FAO, UN 2010

Interesting reading. A nutty flavour lol.

Would work well with naked. 

I see it's at the bottom of the list of bee products. Excellent protein, and apparently more appealing to the consumer compared to crickets and fly larvae.

So what are you having for T tonight?  R U going to cut everything out of the frame, or R U going to get the cappings scratcher out and remove them that way!  

Re endorsement & cooking:  Jacinda did a BBQ yesterday.  Wouldn't recommend Winnie - his nakedness might put punters off.  If you are going to do naked at the national conference, one thing I do know, is that Rotovagus can be darned cold in June.  Is Elton John doing a gig near you - wouldn't want to see him naked either but he'd be a great endorsement, particularly if he wore a sequined bee outfit of some sort.  

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Who to? What's the point? 

Nice tidy site

The point, is to make some money 😏

Consider this. Hives that have now had honey harvested have big bee populations, who just sit there and eat through the winter stores. If i take a couple of kg's from each hive that reduces them down to better numbers that eat less honey, plus I get paid for the bees. Win Win.

They are going to a commercial beekeeper who has bought them from me before, he will break them down into a kg of bees plus a mated queen into each new hive. In our warm climate up here they will just need some feed and will come out ready to go next spring.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

The point, is to make some money 😏

Consider this. Hives that have now had honey harvested have big bee populations, who just sit there and eat through the winter stores. If i take a couple of kg's from each hive that reduces them down to better numbers that eat less honey, plus I get paid for the bees. Win Win.

They are going to a commercial beekeeper who has bought them from me before, he will break them down into a kg of bees plus a mated queen into each new hive. In our warm climate up here they will just need some feed and will come out ready to go next spring.

I get your point. I mean the buyer. 

He's commercial? I guess any way which goes. Spitting hives seems simpler. 

Yes he's commercial. To me splitting is the way to go but he is expanding rapidly, he maybe already splitting but i don't know.

He likes package bees, so what's good for him, is good for me. I sell to hobbyists also but a bit careful about that at this time of year, newby's can easily screw up the needed winter care.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Yes he's commercial. To me splitting is the way to go but he is expanding rapidly, he maybe already splitting but i don't know.

He likes package bees, so what's good for him, is good for me. I sell to hobbyists also but a bit careful about that at this time of year, newby's can easily screw up the needed winter care.

It's amazing how some are still expanding. 

• Agree 2

Today I OA gassed my hives .

Just as well there were varroa in the drone brood on two of my hives .

I used a jump start and levered up the side to slide in the vapouriser .

The jump start worked great and provided enough grunt to get smoke coming out the top of 4 boxes .

I will do it once a week for another 4 weeks .

I have OA strips to put in later .

My bees are still bringing in honey to cap frames .

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I will do it once a week for another 4 weeks .

When I was doing it, once a week was definately not enough. I ended up doing 7 treatments 3 - 4 days apart, or it didn't work.

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

It's amazing how some are still expanding. 

Yes. Despite all the doom and gloom there are still quite a few beekeepers with good sites quietly making pretty good money. Course, those guys are not on here talking about it. But yes, some outfits are still expanding aggressively. 

To me, it would be better for the industry as a whole if they bought existing hives rather than keep making new ones, but i guess everybody does whatever works best for them.

A long established outfit I know well has just bought some bees from people getting out and have doubled their hive numbers in the last few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Alastair said:

To me, it would be better for the industry as a whole if they bought existing hives rather than keep making new ones, but i guess everybody does whatever works best for them.

from what i have seen hive prices they are asking are still way to high.

i've seen some that a crowd bought and i would have asked for the money back.

Interesting, just check if we are talking about the same outfit, does the business name of the purchaser start with W?

I haven't seen the actual hives but they seemed happy with the purchase. 

Anyhow, if shonky gear is being transferred to new ownership, it's probably better than letting it rot.

Edited by Alastair
10 hours ago, tristan said:

just keep in mind the cost of building and running your own extraction plant is no picnic either.

for small beeks not having that huge amount of money tied up, not to mention running and repair costs, is a big advantage.

Totally agree Tristan, my point being honeydew really has no monetary value for my business anymore, it used to be a good crop off strong bees following Manuka production that didn’t even involve a second shift to chase it, now I must keep all for the bees feed which involves other issues. 

Much easier to deliver full boxes to extraction, they will bog up the brood nest and run right out of puff pretty quick if you don’t have mega loads of empty boxes to keep adding. 

• Agree 1

Yes. Despite all the doom and gloom there are still quite a few beekeepers with good sites quietly making pretty good money. Course, those guys are not on here talking about it. But yes, some outfits are still expanding aggressively. 

And there are some who don't realise that the wheels are coming off. 

Agree, the ones doing financially well are mute. 

Imagine shifting your bees off a historical site, cause a beekeeper bought a block next door. The new owner has his lawyer squeezing the neighbour, and the beek shifts bees to relieve pressure. 

• Agree 1

Interesting, just check if we are talking about the same outfit, does the business name of the purchaser start with W?

no. tho could be the same seller that been trying to quit for a number of years.

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

there are still quite a few beekeepers with good sites quietly making pretty good money. Course, those guys are not on here talking about it

Maybe they aren't on hear talking about it, cos they're out there working their butt off.

10 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Imagine shifting your bees off a historical site, cause a beekeeper bought a block next door. The new owner has his lawyer squeezing the neighbour, and the beek shifts bees to relieve pressur

I have heard a couple of alleged incidences recently concerning greedy north island golf clubs wanting exorbitant money for sites on the perimeters of courses which border maunuka.  If the current guy (who is already paying rent on his site) doesn't put his hand in his pocket again, then golf site rights are sold extremely close to the exiting beekeeper of years.  Doesn't seem to matter that they have affected majorly the income of a local beekeeper.  

13 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

guys are not on here talking about it

Last year, when I advertised my queen cell production tuts on this forum, I was blown away by the amount of beekeepers who attended via this site.  I had never heard of some of them, and some of them had reputations for being good beekeepers and businessmen.  When I asked them why they don't post, the answer was that although they enjoy at times reading the forum and that it helps keep a finger on the pulse, they are not prepared to stick their head above the parapet for it to be shot off. 

Note: I am not pointing the finger at anyone!

36 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Last year, when I advertised my queen cell production tuts on this forum, I was blown away by the amount of beekeepers who attended via this site.  I had never heard of some of them, and some of them had reputations for being good beekeepers and businessmen.  When I asked them why they don't post, the answer was that although they enjoy at times reading the forum and that it helps keep a finger on the pulse, they are not prepared to stick their head above the parapet for it to be shot off. 

Note: I am not pointing the finger at anyone!

Sad, but True.  I have also heard similar comments.  That is why I don't comment very often now days.

Such a pity really as this forum could be a so much more valuable resource. 

• Agree 2