Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. February 2020

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

Have you done a Mite count?
Bees can get grumpy when they have Mites or when they are getting subtly  robbed due to being weakened by Mites.

I actually suspect they Q-less. Been tearing around Rainbow/Tennyson today. Tomorrow I'll take their full box of "winter stores", pinch the Q if she is there, freeze the brood, & let the mob find a home next door. Advertised two 2 x 3/4 hive on TME for the price of the waxed frames, no takers, so goodbye hive. I'm not going to weaken next year, I'll recombine the swarm splits for sure. Too many bees is a pain. 

Hm. Got lots of unpleasant gel like honey, if that's Manuka I'm sending it to China. No rewa rewa (drought stops the flow apparently) or flax (no flowers) this year at all, not much Kanuka in spite of the huge flowering. I did get two frames of very sweet yellow gold honey that I can only think is the cabbage tree honey and I'm keeping it seperate for the winter.

ive just loaded up the wee gun with co2 to try out for varroa counting. Does anybody have experience with the system  and opinion to its effectiveness? I hope it's good as I don't like sugar shakes and won't do alcohol wash.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Apihappy said:

Hm. Got lots of unpleasant gel like honey, if that's Manuka I'm sending it to China. No rewa rewa (drought stops the flow apparently) or flax (no flowers) this year at all, not much Kanuka in spite of the huge flowering. I did get two frames of very sweet yellow gold honey that I can only think is the cabbage tree honey and I'm keeping it seperate for the winter.

ive just loaded up the wee gun with co2 to try out for varroa counting. Does anybody have experience with the system  and opinion to its effectiveness? I hope it's good as I don't like sugar shakes and won't do alcohol wash.

If it is cabbage tree honey it will have a smell of womans perfume and is water white as white as S. Rata.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Apihappy said:

How does the CO2 dislodge the mites from the Bees if the Mites are jammed between the plates 

1 hour ago, Apihappy said:

Try my video.  It works great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

If it is cabbage tree honey it will have a smell of womans perfume

R U referring to Otira women? Female pheromones? A specific brand of manufactured perfume?  Alluding to how much physical work someone does or how often they have a wash?  How long they wear their bee suit before it's washed?  

I need to get an extension ladder out and smell the cabbage tree flowers!  

Edited by Maggie James
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

I need to get an extension ladder out and smell the cabbage tree flowers!  

A chainsaw is far more effective.  I have an extreme dislike of cabbage trees.  They are ok out on the farm, but terrible in urban areas.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

A chainsaw is far more effective.  I have an extreme dislike of cabbage trees.

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

If it is cabbage tree honey it will have a smell of womans perfume and is water white as white as S. Rata.

Very high protein pollen and a good nectar source.  Obviously the bees don't mind it smelling like a women's perfume!

From memory, cabbage tree pollen comes up in the top five highest protein pollens on the Trees For Bees database.  

30 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Good video Trev.  If your sponsor threws in a microscope with the kit, beekeepers would be able to do a bit of instrumental insemination if they included a virgin queen in the sample to be C02 ed.  Just thinking laterally, for all, in these tough economic times!  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

How old is that Video Trev?

29 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Good video Trev.  If your sponsor threws in a microscope with the kit, beekeepers would be able to do a bit of instrumental insemination if they included a virgin queen in the sample to be C02 ed.  Just thinking laterally, for all, in these tough economic times!  

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I love your lateral thinking.

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

How old is that Video Trev?

Dec 2018.  I accept the tolerance has changed a bit since then

10 mites per 300 bees was accepted as the threshold now it is 3 per 300 bees.

7 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I love your lateral thinking.

Dec 2018.  I accept the tolerance has changed a bit since then

10 mites per 300 bees was accepted as the threshold now it is 3 per 300 bees.

Na I didnt hear that bit but noted what appeared to be Pams cloths

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Na I didnt hear that bit but noted what appeared to be Pams cloths

Yes.  I was using the Pams cloths that you popularised.  I found they were very effective, however the Gib Tape is easier to use.  Just my opinion.

50 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

They are ok out on the farm, but terrible in urban areas.

Why ?  They produce very good fire starters....

10 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  I was using the Pams cloths that you popularised.  I found they were very effective, however the Gib Tape is easier to use.  Just my opinion.

Such a wise man, handsome too.

• Haha 1

Well there ya go.... back to winter again.

Aint nothing like a rainy night and a full moon  rising....

That should bring the honey dew on....

B42EC8D1-7A0F-4E09-A765-9FED6132936A.jpeg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Such a wise man, handsome too.

Who?  You or me.  I am betting it's me.

44 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Why ?  They produce very good fire starters....

I don't have a fire.  I prefer to burn Hydrocarbons.  They also jam up the drains in the city, and the jam in the lawn mower.

And you cannot compost the jolly things

49 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Something very agreeable about a fire and lounging canines. Just not in summer😄

• Like 2

Agreed. Strange old day. Warm this morning, then a slow an steady drizzle moved in On top of 28 ml the other day ... so it’s wagons role .... bring all those bees home to the Dew.

The drought in this gully is over.

I guess we’ll leave the Rata for another year.

Edited by jamesc
  • Sad 1

Yup, extreme weather, no doubt about that.

Couple of days ago it was the 4th to hottest temperature ever officially recorded in Auckland. Had me worried because yesterday i started making up packages for sale, making them at 30+ it is so easy to kill them. But forecast was for cooler and as I arrived at the first site i could feel the temperature drop. Phew! Ended up at 24 according to the TV. Made more packages today it was a bit warmer, be doing more tomorrow and forecast is 27, getting towards the danger zone again.

They are being picked up Saturday, which will probably be hotter again. Just hope the guy can get them home alive.

• Like 2

I am intending to try the CO2 method , but just a note for anyone wanting to use this method, you may still want to make sure not to get the queen in your sample as there is a NZ research paper from around the late seventies /early 80"s  that says  the lifespan of bees put to sleep with CO2 is shortened. I think this research was done on queens put to sleep for AI.

• Good Info 1

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

But you cant sell it for a decent price so why chase it?

You cant stop the bees making honey.... so worthless honey in a drum is a bit like a cash wad under the bed for a rainy day!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

You cant stop the bees making honey.... so worthless honey in a drum is a bit like a cash wad under the bed for a rainy day!

This is very true..

however the cost of getting it in a drum without having your own extraction facility also creates its own issues.. 

That's the truth. Harvest used to be a time of plenty, and feeling good!! This year I'm laying out thousands of dollars extracting fees with no guarantee of any return. 😳

Instead of risking buying any sugar with money i don't have I'm leaving a full box on each hive.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

however the cost of getting it in a drum without having your own extraction facility also creates its own issues..

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

This year I'm laying out thousands of dollars extracting fees with no guarantee of any return

just keep in mind the cost of building and running your own extraction plant is no picnic either.

for small beeks not having that huge amount of money tied up, not to mention running and repair costs, is a big advantage.

• Agree 1