• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mates wife went to collect what was thought to be a swam. looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔 Two armchairs dumped under some trees down a service alley in our little town. loo

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

Posted Images

7 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

Thanks for the info @Trevor Gillbanks. How much run time do you get out of one battery, and what AMp hours? Cheers

Hi Paul.

That battery is a 54V 6 amp hour.  It will do about 6 hours on the blower.  I have a lot of batteries so I never run out of power.

That big battery will give me about 2 plus hours on the Bee Vac.

I have 4, 5 and 6 amp hour batteries.  I buy them on line at Aliexpress, Amazon or Ebay.  Depends who has them on special at the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
1 minute ago, CraBee said:

@sailabee the big C is not over-wintering in Riverhead Forest this year..

Thanks @CraBee here will be a welter of hobbyists who will be ecstatic - those with a sensible number of hives for the land they own, not planted in pines, but bee food.

On 26/02/2020 at 10:27 PM, jamesc said:

One tough mother .... no even scraping the tie rails.

The boxes must be empty, right .....😍

Those pallets are around 700kgs each, it's got old man emu leaf springs and a big load plus leaf added aswell, got to have a minimum of 300kgs otherwise it rides really hard

On 26/02/2020 at 8:04 AM, Alastair said:

In my view some landowners have been excessively greedy.

I saw one contract on offer that pretty much screwed the beekeeper to the floor and could only have been drafted by a lawyer who must have been arrogant in the extreme. Everything was tied down. Even the date the bees had to be removed by or there was a penalty. This was on a pastoral farm, would it really kill the guy if the bees were left there a bit longer? 

Some of these types will be getting a rude shock this season.

Iv had guys think I'm making a lot of money on their bush site and they're still after 75$ and I have others wanting 50$, i just tell them at that rate I'm working for free and will have to move out and they're all still saying that's fine well get someone else in🤣🤣🤣.

I just think to myself no one will ever come way out here to this poor access site for one box of rata honey, I had to use the side by side just to get here.

20 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@Alastair

This is my blower unit.

I bought the whole unit (without battery) from Ebay via Australia.  I think it cost all up around $300.00

The Blower is now available in NZ  for around $157.00.  https://www.bunnings.co.nz/dewalt-18v-li-ion-cordless-blower-skin-only_p0317547

I made the other little attachment so that it is a nice short bee blower.   I use escape boards and then just tidy up the last few bees with the blower.

20200227_094331.jpg

20200227_094352.jpg

20200227_094403.jpg

I use my makita one after smoking the top of the hive before scraping, way less squashed bees in the wax

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Iv had guys think I'm making a lot of money on their bush site and they're still after 75$ and I have others wanting 50$, i just tell them at that rate I'm working for free and will have to move out and they're all still saying that's fine well get someone else in🤣🤣🤣.

Thing with that, I've had the exact same experience, and thought no other beekeeper would be foolish enough to take up the offer, but then some fool does. 😳

However this type of thing will not keep going indefinately, very soon these other beekeepers just won't have the money to pay on these types of sites, even if they wanted to. In fact i suspect some of these landowners won't even get paid by the current beekeeper cos end of the day, can't get blood out of a stone.

• Agree 3
13 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Those pallets are around 700kgs each, it's got old man emu leaf springs and a big load plus leaf added aswell, got to have a minimum of 300kgs otherwise it rides really hard

so grossly over loaded then. apart from giving evidence away on a public forum, how long do you think the chassis will last?

I was thinking the same thing, however looking at the way it is loaded, the weight is directly over the rear axle. Does that mean there will not be massive strain on the chassis.

Can't say myself because I'm no expert on how to not break a chassis.

17 hours ago, Alastair said:

I was thinking the same thing, however looking at the way it is loaded, the weight is directly over the rear axle. Does that mean there will not be massive strain on the chassis.

Can't say myself because I'm no expert on how to not break a chassis.

the way its loaded is good. but excessive weight does increase stress, especially if driven on rough roads (typical for northland) or off road.

of course if your in an accident (even if its not your fault) and they determine your overloaded, forget insurance on your vehicle and load.

the other thing is we do not need to go give police excuse's to crack down on beekeepers. there has been multiple bee truck crashes in the media and one death this season already.

11 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@tristan what is the best way to load a truck of heavy supers ?

where should most of the load be ?

you do not want load behind the rear axle.

this is why double cabs give the most problems. also no need for an extended deck because you can't fill it.

same goes for tow bars, don't extend them.

• Agree 1
On 28/02/2020 at 8:10 AM, Alastair said:

Thing with that, I've had the exact same experience, and thought no other beekeeper would be foolish enough to take up the offer, but then some fool does. 😳

However this type of thing will not keep going indefinately, very soon these other beekeepers just won't have the money to pay on these types of sites, even if they wanted to. In fact i suspect some of these landowners won't even get paid by the current beekeeper cos end of the day, can't get blood out of a stone.

Worsed site that I've got is one where another beek put 20 hives a few hundred meters away and moved out after 6 months now there's a new beek and the land owner comes to me saying he wants to be paid🤣

I told him I'm moving out asap because all I got was mites and a box of rata honey and that I wasnt even paying myself then he tells me he will get someone else😮

On 28/02/2020 at 7:37 PM, tristan said:

so grossly over loaded then. apart from giving evidence away on a public forum, how long do you think the chassis will last?

Thats why I'm getting my class 2 also the u bolts on the leaf's break first, pop

• Good Info 1
  • Disagree 1

You'll quite possibly get the site back in a year or so Maru.

We pulled out of a site a few years ago when we emigrated to the North Island. When we came home I went back to see the landowner. He told me he had got another BKeeper in  and that was that. Fair enough.

He rang me this year for bees to pollinate his clover his crop.

The world is still round .

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2