Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. February 2020

Wow! Scary stuff. 😲

It wasn't so long ago when sales guys with a tie and slicked back hair would come knocking on my door at the house, trying to sign me up to sell them honey i had not even produced yet. How the tables are turned!!

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Then on top of that can be land owners demanding payment or you're out.. 

Fortunately he owns the land that he produces on.  But who can live without an income for 18 months

Uhuh well there’s no point living on the memories of yesterday, reality of today is today.. 

• Agree 3

In my view some landowners have been excessively greedy.

I saw one contract on offer that pretty much screwed the beekeeper to the floor and could only have been drafted by a lawyer who must have been arrogant in the extreme. Everything was tied down. Even the date the bees had to be removed by or there was a penalty. This was on a pastoral farm, would it really kill the guy if the bees were left there a bit longer? 

Some of these types will be getting a rude shock this season.

Edited by Alastair

21 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Uhuh well there’s no point living on the memories of yesterday, reality of today is today.. 

You would think with this corona virus hysteria all the elderly in tnis world would be swallowing all the manuka honey they could get their hands on .

And anything else that they thought could keep them alive .

14 hours ago, Alastair said:

Great info. Permex works very well and is what I used to use before my own suppliers switched product. Didn't mention it because i did not know it was available to the general public.

This is what I have, it is available to general public and delivered nationwide. https://www.flybusters.co.nz/shop/DIY-Pest-Control-Services/DIY_Cockroach/Permex+Insect+Dust+2kg.html

• Good Info 2

Great info Chris, inexpensive also. 👍

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

This is what I have, it is available to general public and delivered nationwide. https://www.flybusters.co.nz/shop/DIY-Pest-Control-Services/DIY_Cockroach/Permex+Insect+Dust+2kg.html

Yes.  That is what I am using.  I just could not find their site last night.  I must be getting old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  That is what I am using.  I just could not find their site last night.  I must be getting old.

No just tired

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

multiple times both you and I have made posts about Permex (see below for typical one), so you've already done more than your share...

it makes sense for clubs/groups to purchase together, in much the same way as our group does composite Tutin testing in groups of 5 or that we have three manual extractors that we rent for $20 per week. Saves money, that can be spent on other things (like beer).

• Like 1

My honeys all in the drum. Finished. 

Average volume, nice flavour and middling colour. Now time to make top splits and requeen poor producers. Imagine robbing is going to be an issue so speed is the word

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Alastair said:

In my view some landowners have been excessively greedy.

I saw one contract on offer that pretty much screwed the beekeeper to the floor and could only have been drafted by a lawyer who must have been arrogant in the extreme.

Some of these types will be getting a rude shock this season.

Lawyer was probably asked to maximise short.term income and minimise inconvenience.

Those signing such contracts were gambling. The whole point of gambling is uncertainty of outcome.

Hope the person signing (and without beekeepers signing up it couldn't have happened) who is the person responsible for screwing everyone else over gets pursued to the limit if they are in breach of contract

Then again, post.reflection, sucks if they signed a contract under the old manuka standard that became untenable under the new, and fairly unpredictably changed rules

• Like 1

Must be time to call it a day ‘n’ check the lucky ticket eh!

A2025098-8CC0-4904-B4D5-FE8A7C7AA76A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

About spraying wasps.. sometimes I had problems with huge nests of hornets ( in the attic). I noticed that when I use Manual Knapsack Sprayer the hornets think it is a rain and all stick to a nest without trying to attack unaware of danger.. Now when I have problem with them I use the same without any bee clothes, sometimes in shorts - maybe I am too confident.. Could same work for the wasps.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

That's what I used to do, pour into a kinked hose and blow into entarne and unkink, poof problem gone. 

Today's load, the old girl still pumping the loads home

20200226_141939_copy_2016x1512.jpg

One tough mother .... no even scraping the tie rails.

The boxes must be empty, right .....😍

On 26/02/2020 at 8:39 AM, dansar said:

bees are using fruit fall for their carbohydrate supply.

Same here in Chch!

859BEB45-3973-456A-BE72-2EC8430A30C9.jpeg

@Alastair

This is my blower unit.

I bought the whole unit (without battery) from Ebay via Australia.  I think it cost all up around $300.00

The Blower is now available in NZ  for around $157.00.  https://www.bunnings.co.nz/dewalt-18v-li-ion-cordless-blower-skin-only_p0317547

I made the other little attachment so that it is a nice short bee blower.   I use escape boards and then just tidy up the last few bees with the blower.

20200227_094331.jpg

20200227_094352.jpg

20200227_094403.jpg

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 3
  • Good Info 1

Nice Trevor, and with the cleverly home made bee blower attachment, a great all purpose beekeeping tool! 🙂

• Agree 2

Comvita...half year results

Headlines: • $12.97m loss including $2.3m impairment of Australian asset due to bush fires • Underlying EBITDA +32% year on year • $15m cost out and business transformation plan launched • Simplification of business model to take place • China earnings improved by 30% • Core products Propolis and Mānuka honey (over 90% of revenue) have known anti-viral and immunity benefits • Honey harvest encouraging • Capital raise announced

• Like 1
  • Good Info 3

Thanks for the info @Trevor Gillbanks. How much run time do you get out of one battery, and what AMp hours? Cheers

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

Headlines: • $12.97m loss including $2.3m impairment of Australian asset due to bush fires • Underlying EBITDA +32% year on year • $15m cost out and business transformation plan launched • Simplification of business model to take place • China earnings improved by 30% • Core products Propolis and Mānuka honey (over 90% of revenue) have known anti-viral and immunity benefits • Honey harvest encouraging • Capital raise announced

At 2.45 a share. Probably a good gamble. They will announce in April their honey harvest results. Which will be good. Slow shop sales due to virus, but C will use that special south American propolis and Manuka as spin anti virus benefits.

Edited by Gino de Graaf

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

At 2.45 a share. Probably a good gamble.

There are better.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Headlines: • $12.97m loss including $2.3m impairment of Australian asset due to bush fires 

Gave up following them closely a long time ago, but, that is better than their normal loss?