Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. February 2020

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I use Permex as my powder.  Quite cheap for 2 kg on the internet.  https://www.alphaenvironmental.co.nz/Pest+Control/Permex+Insect+Dust.html  (I see the 2 kg is no longer available)

Great info. Permex works very well and is what I used to use before my own suppliers switched product. Didn't mention it because i did not know it was available to the general public.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Great info. Permex works very well and is what I used to use before my own suppliers switched product. Didn't mention it because i did not know it was available to the general public.

You should grab yourself a decent respirator mask to wear while blowing powder into wasp nests.. I’m sure that stuff could cause hair growth in strange places.. 

• Haha 2

Would it get me a little more top of the head? 😄

• Haha 1

I was thinking more palms of the hands or soles of the feet.. I’m thinking there’s never any mozzies landing on you with dose rates like that... 

i used to use a length of 15mm alkathene and an old tin of carbaryl , stick one end in the tin to load then blow a puff at the nest entrance.. maybe that’s why I have to shave my palms.. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You should grab yourself a decent respirator mask to wear while blowing powder into wasp nests.. I’m sure that stuff could cause hair growth in strange places.. 

Yes.  All joke aside.  Any insecticide powder is dangerous.  All protection should be worn.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I was thinking more palms of the hands or soles of the feet.. I’m thinking there’s never any mozzies landing on you with dose rates like that... 

i used to use a length of 15mm alkathene and an old tin of carbaryl , stick one end in the tin to load then blow a puff at the nest entrance.. maybe that’s why I have to shave my palms.. 

I'm so old that when I was a kid, story was that first sign of insanity was hairs growing on palms of hands, second sign was looking for them.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

LOL.

Stoney and Trevor, of course I have a respirator, in fact i have several including a $600 one.

However it was a long way from up that ladder, to the ground. The more equipment i have, and stuff on my face like a respirator, the more risk.

The risks were weighed, and i took what I considered the safest option.

BTW, carbaryl in a blowpipe is 1. illegal, 2. thousands of times more toxic to a human than the product i used, Dust 2 Dust. Which IS legal, to be used in the way I used it. 

You should get rid of your old tin Stoney, the use of carbaryl has now been banned in NZ, except in some circumstances by qualified approved operators.

Edited by Alastair

6 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

and just because they open there 400 hives at least every 2-3 weeks over the year,

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Really ?  The character around here must be a really slack buzzard.

it seams a lot are changing so hives are looked after less.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Alastair said:

You should get rid of your old tin Stoney, the use of carbaryl has now been banned in NZ, except in some circumstances by qualified approved operators.

Yes I agree, don’t worry... the old tin is long gone as is the method once used .. as I said I used to use. 

I only use laced meat bait now, if I find a nest it gets a feed at the front door. 

Laced meat is also illegal in the way you described a few posts back, for good reason. Might i suggest you investigate a product called vespex.

Edited by Alastair

51 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Stoney and Trevor, of course I have a respirator, in fact i have several including a $600 one.

Sorry @Alastair. I was not pointing at you with my comments.

I speaking to all who wish to use air borne powdered insecticides (or any sprays) should wear the appropriate gear.

We all only get one shot at life.  And you don't get out alive.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Laced meat is also illegal in the way you described a few posts back, for good reason. Might i suggest you investigate a product called vespex.

So legally I can not mix some of the fiprinol I have with cat meat and put it out in a container on  skinny pole  for wasps .

Just now, kaihoka said:

So legally I can not mix some of the fiprinol I have with cat meat and put it out in a container on  skinny pole  for wasps .

No.  That is considered using Friprinol off label.  It took a long time and regulation changes before Vespex could be used and marketed.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@Alastair. I was not pointing at you with my comments.

I speaking to all who wish to use air borne powdered insecticides (or any sprays) should wear the appropriate gear.

We all only get one shot at life.  And you don't get out alive.

Didn't think you were Trevor, and your comments were correct.

To be fully OSH compliant, most likely i should have used a respirator, plus either a harness, scaffold, or crane.

So I'm a lawbreaker I guess. Just, couldn't be bothered, didn't want to incurr the expense, confident I examined the site and used a method that in my mind was safe.

The toxicity of breathing Dust 2 Dust is comparable to breathing a permethrin based household fly spray, and I don't bother with breathing equipment when I spray for flies in the house. Carbarol is a pure product with a spreader, designed to be diluted in water, not used pure. Dust to Dust and for that matter Permex, are designed to be used in a blower and are therefore diluted down in talcum powder, to lower the active ingredient to a safe level for that method of application. All the same, label directions are to wear a respirator so I guess I was in breach.

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Legally, no.

It is exactly this type of thing that has caused not just many poisonings of non target animals, but even many bee poisonings, when any random person thinks they can mix up a home brew of whatever they want, and put it out to kill what they think it will kill.

Although these laws are rarely enforced, laws around on label use of poisons exist for a reason.

Vespex was several years in development and trials. Totally easy to make something that will kill wasps. A littl harder to develop a product that used in the required manner, will kill wasps, but nothing else. Which is why a little test is required before you can buy it.

Vespex is cheap. A 600 gram tub kills a heckuva lot of wasp nests. Check it out.

https://www.merchento.com/vespex.html

Edited by Alastair
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Only if the cat meat is still on the cat and the cat has fleas.. 

• Haha 3

A few years ago a leaflet appeared in my letterbox.

There was a lady (I'm pretty sure I know who was responsible) up the street who had an issue with bees visiting a flowering bush in her garden.

So she took it upon herself to write up a little pamphlet giving a recipe for water, sugar, honey, and fiprinol, and walk around in the middle of the night putting it in several hundred neighbourhood letterboxes.

Just so that in her mind, she could be a good neighbour and advise any like minded people how to deal with troublesome bees.

There may be a lot of people mixing up poison home brews, who are making and using it in a safe manner, even though illegal. However we have to have laws, because of the 10% idiots.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

You are correct.. and yes the 10% idiot club do keep the lawmakers busy.. 

I have been thinking about switching to vespex to see if it is as effective.. the local council many yrs ago would supply tins of carbaryl to my uncle who would blast nests along the railway line beside his property.. times they are a changin 

Absolutely. You will find Vespex a great product. It seems expensive cos the smallest sized pot is an initial outlay of $89 + GST. However that can kill a lot of wasps.

We did try to bait that nest up the tree with vespex but the wasps showed no interest. But they weren't interested in cat food either, so they must be on something else at the moment.

11 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Absolutely. You will find Vespex a great product. It seems expensive cos the smallest sized pot is an initial outlay of $89 + GST. However that can kill a lot of wasps.

We did try to bait that nest up the tree with vespex but the wasps showed no interest. But they weren't interested in cat food either, so they must be on something else at the moment.

I’ve found cat meat , tuna, salmon, fresh kahawai etc useless compared to fresh meat, hare rabbit and venison seem irresistible. I might give vespex a crack once I have some income.. at the mo I’ll be running the budget method.. I need to get stuck into them before they spew out their queens. 

• Like 1

Thought you just pulled a hering great load of manuka?

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

Thought you just pulled a hering great load of manuka?

A hering great load is taking it a bit far.... never let slight exaggeration get in the way of a good story though huh? 

I am yet to sell any of my crop, certainly had interest but as yet no income. 

Oh very interesting. I heard manuka was selling slower this season but didn't know things were that bad.

If some manuka can't even be sold, I guess we can't blame that on the MPI standard. Wonder what is the issue? World swamped with Aussie product?

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Agreed ..... we have a similar system ..... each time I use it I have a thought that I need to mark the blow end as a H&S protocol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Oh very interesting. I heard manuka was selling slower this season but didn't know things were that bad.

I was talking to a commercial Manuka producer on the weekend.  He has several tons of mid to high range Manuka and has not been able to sell any for 18 months.

Life is tough, even when sitting on a comparative fortune.  It is not much use if no one wants to buy it.

• Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I was talking to a commercial Manuka producer on the weekend.  He has several tons of mid to high range Manuka and has not been able to sell any for 18 months.

Life is tough, even when sitting on a comparative fortune.  It is not much use if no one wants to buy it.

Yes this is sadly the case for some. Then on top of that can be land owners demanding payment or youre out.. 

Some think oh he produces Manuka he will be loaded they got no idea.