• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mates wife went to collect what was thought to be a swam. looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔 Two armchairs dumped under some trees down a service alley in our little town. loo

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Bron said:

We have rain! Got 2 truck loads in Saturday & it’s been raining off and on since. Yay! Compulsory days off. 

Gonna make pumice soap while Riley’s at Playcentre.

😀😀

i know that wonderful sound of rain on the roof when its been a long time coming.

14 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Kiwi Bee with the honey box so far away from the bottom queen and not much in the way of stores in her box there’s a high chance of the bees abandoning her and moving up into the second brood box sometime during winter.

Thank you guys for the guidance.

New idea.

When I put the treatment into the hive I'll swap the middle box for the top box(to have the honey in the middle). Maybe I should add one more QE, below top box then to keep the queen in the 3rd box.

Two months later when I'll remove the treatment, I'll also swap bottom box for top box(there will be no queen in the middle box).

Also I'm considering to keep swapping bottom box for top box every 6 weeks in the winter.

Does it make sense?

Yes, I can do a split too.

13 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

New idea.

When I put the treatment into the hive I'll swap the middle box for the top box(to have the honey in the middle). Maybe I should add one more QE, below top box then to keep the queen in the 3rd box.

Two months later when I'll remove the treatment, I'll also swap bottom box for top box(there will be no queen in the middle box).

Also I'm considering to keep swapping bottom box for top box every 6 weeks in the winter.

Does it make sense?

Why Why Why Why Why, do a split, make sure they got enough food and treatment for winter, and be done with it.

If only someone would tell you that.......oh wait.....they have.

Just because they are commercial beekeepers doesn't mean they are #### at what they do and don't know anything, and just because they open there 400 hives at least every 2-3 weeks over the year, which is 18 times a year x 400 = 7200 opening and looking at a hive/yr x how many yrs, you feel free to come up with some other idea that will be revolutionary and change the world of beekeeping, .......ain't going to happen, its all been there done that. 

I say this in jest, but listen to the wealth of info on here, and do.

The highest percentage of beekeepers who kill all their hives are hobbyists, no need for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

and just because they open there 400 hives at least every 2-3 weeks over the year, 

Really ?  The character around here must be a really slack buzzard.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Todays lunchtime activities 😎. Unfortunately the cameraman had to leg it before the first video was really getting into it, so I went back and did a part 2 showing the immediate aftermath. Probably take a day or so till all activity is over.

• Like 2

It's a product called Dust 2 Dust, made by Key Industries. However you have to be an approved handler to buy it. But it's essentially talcum powder embossed with permethrin. Carbaryl is not approved for this type of application, and also is heavy, it does not work well in the blower.

You can get in garden centres and hardware stores similar insecticidal powders, but only in small quanities but certainly enough in a pack to kill several wasp nests.

The blower is just a battery powered Makita blower with an attachment for the powder that is sold by Key Industries, anyone can buy and it's a great tool for killing wasp nests even in difficult positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1
1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Todays lunchtime activities 😎. Unfortunately the cameraman had to leg it before the first video was really getting into it, so I went back and did a part 2 showing the immediate aftermath. Probably take a day or so till all activity is over.

How did it manage to go unnoticed for it to get to that size.

I like the extension hose you put on the blower.

Do you just push the nozzle into the nest in various places and then blow in the dust.

I have a blower and done a few of these and was wondering how a professional like yourself does it.

Jolly big nest.

A professional, ha ha you have not seen the fails. But i like that. 😄

The extension is just a bit of alkathene, which mostly sits behind the seat in the cab for use as a cattle whacker, when I'm trying to get in a gate, and the cattle are trying to get out. 🙄

Yes I just jabbed it in and out plenty of times, also it's important to find the brood area and do that thoroughly so I felt for it, and could feel the combs crunching up so I know I was working the right places.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Alastair said:

A professional, ha ha you have not seen the fails. But i like that. 😄

The extension is just a bit of alkathene, which mostly sits behind the seat in the cab for use as a cattle whacker, when I'm trying to get in a gate, and the cattle are trying to get out. 🙄

Yes I just jabbed it in and out plenty of times, also it's important to find the brood area and do that thoroughly so I felt for it, and could feel the combs crunching up so I know I was working the right places.

I watched your video (several years ago) when you did that big nest in the bank.  That was huge and it took you several goes to exterminate it.

I bought a blower immediately that I saw that video.  Mine has killed a lot of wasps.

Mine is a De Walt unit.

• Like 1

That's interesting Trevor, if it's more available than the one i have, for the info of others how about a pic, and cost?

More people can effectively deal with wasps, the better off we all are.

I did not say that immediately before we started on this nest we found a Tui on the ground underneath. It was alive and Rob picked it up, then we found a wasp buried in it's feathers, stinging it. He pulled the wasp out, and it immediately dived straight back into the feathers and continued stinging the bird aggressively. The Tui died a minute or so later.

I have found dead Tuis around large nests like this before.

The damage these things do is huge.

Edited by Alastair
10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

That's interesting Trevor, if it's more available than the one i have, for the info of others how about a pic, and cost?

I will do some photos tomorrow.   It was not cheap.  I got the duster unit from Australia via Ebay.

With Makita anyway, the batteries are expensive and that blows up the cost of the whole unit.

Pity there is this entry barrier, because once a person has one of these they can handle about anything.

Is there a Trev's Bees video about killing wasps?

I saw a german wasp nest at Tahi Honey's estate on their open day a few years ago, and it was also in a puriri tree. They found it over a month earlier when it munted forty hives within two weeks when they were inadvertently placed within 50 metres of it - it was about the size of two quad  bike in volume, and it took the whole month to kill it as the puriri tree - like many of them is basically rotten and decayed in the middle, so the nests were all through the trunk and limbs, so this one may well need several trips to finish off, so hopefully more footage to come.

Edited by Sailabee
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
53 minutes ago, Alastair said:

With Makita anyway, the batteries are expensive and that blows up the cost of the whole unit.

Pity there is this entry barrier, because once a person has one of these they can handle about anything.

Is there a Trev's Bees video about killing wasps?

Yes, I agree with the cost of Makita stuff.  That is why I went away from them. However, saying that all batteries are expensive in NZ.  I tend to buy my spare batteries via ebay, amazon or AliExpess..

I did not do a video on wasp nests as I did not want to encourage people to do them themselves without the appropriate safety equipment.  There is plenty of videos on idiots doing dumb stuff with wasps.  Petrol and matches come to mind.

I use Permex as my powder.  Quite cheap for 2 kg on the internet.  https://www.alphaenvironmental.co.nz/Pest+Control/Permex+Insect+Dust.html  (I see the 2 kg is no longer available)

• Good Info 1