Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. February 2020

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Heat from the burning couch in the back yard ?

Thank you @frazzledfozzle, was not brave enough to post that - difference between hobbyist and real commercial perhaps?

Started raining at 3.30pm.

30mm by 7.00pm

03857D71-28B0-48B6-94A3-EF085D6682BA.jpeg

So we went and moved more bees up into the Dew.

CB63D22A-6A7E-4602-9374-6D132ED9AE75.jpeg

• Like 3

Crikey you don't mess around!

No rest for a wicked man .....  the forestry rang the other day to say they were doing some 'Engineering work' on a road next week.   Replacing a culvert or something, and that the road would be out of action for a month ..... catch is over 300 hives are on the wrong  side of the culvert.  Grrr...

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Started raining at 3.30pm.

30mm by 7.00pm

03857D71-28B0-48B6-94A3-EF085D6682BA.jpeg

So we went and moved more bees up into the Dew.

CB63D22A-6A7E-4602-9374-6D132ED9AE75.jpeg

Please stop skiting - we had all of 10 minutes of light mist/rain, most of it went to vapour as it hit something, diddly squat in the tank.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Please stop skiting - we had all of 10 minutes of light mist/rain, most of it went to vapour as it hit something, diddly squat in the tank.

much the same here. a few quick showers. it just evaporates off and makes it even more humid.

• Agree 1

It's uncanny Sailabee ..... we live in the lucky country along the foothills .

Maggie gets a couple of mls, the foothills gets a good drenching .... and probably ten k's up the gorge towards the Southern Alps they got nothing.

We had a drought quite a few years ago on the plains when we moved the operation up to the top of the Rakaia Gorge  for the bees to feast on white clover ...... only they starved to death on account of the rain. Not enough flying days .

Every year is different, and you can just never tell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

21 hours ago, Bron said:

Trying to catch up... Missed a whole bunch of stuff. Really busy. Sleeping is hard cos it’s so hot. Most of our sites are dry as a bone and the bees are nasty Robby and knarly. Have had more stings in the last two weeks than in my whole beekeeping experience. Got five in the same place day before yesterday and discovered a thumb sized hole by my hive tool pocket. Sewing machine out patched up. Suits dry really fast thank goodness. Too hot to wear new suit! 

Take care folks stay hydrated. 

Definitely robbing season now, we carry cloths and lots of water to wipe everything down as we go, and plenty of covers.

One of my new workers started dazing out and ended up taking his veil off to throw up then got stung in the face, started running followed by 5 more stings to the head and all I could do is say PUT YOUR VEIL BACK ON and fall over laughing.

• Haha 1

You're a hard man Maru 😲

Gotta say though it is something I've observed with new beekeepers. When things are tough and there's a heap of enraged bees, then they get one inside the veil, they want to rip it off. Which will straight off expose them to far more harm than one sting. 

Haven't had anyone also wanting to barf at the same time though, what have you guys been doing?

7 hours ago, john berry said:

26° in the shade with high humidity and high cloud. To hot to sleep properly last night. We always have the best weather once it's too hot and dry for any honey to come in.

We have all our best windless weather once the flow is finishing .

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Heat from the burning couch in the back yard ?

A terrible accusation to make. 

No, Couches were burnt either at cricket games or on the street (so I was led to believe). What’s the etiquette now @Otto ? @tudor ?

• Haha 2

Leeston got 9.5 mm rain over night.  10 degrees this a.m.  Amazing how green has appeared in the lawn since late yesterday p.m.  

Placebo effect?

went through my wellington garden hive today - full inspection, all looking good. Post-honey pull I'll be moving it, right now it's far too heavy! three boxes (2x3/4, 1xfull depth) ready to extract, a fourth pretty close as the emerging drones are back-filled with honey. Did some destructive drone sampling and found 3 varroa in the sixty-ish drones that got needled. Chucked some wet cappings from the last extraction in a top-feeder on top for them to clean up - expecting to escape the bees and pull the top four boxes for extraction in about two weeks from now and chuck some strips in.

Every time I lift a full depth box of honey i mentally salute those tough enough to do this for a living - I hope the market picks up for all of you.

• Like 1

Nice work Tommy, that's not too bad of a varroa infestation level and sounds like a great honey crop.

You will be one of those guys that all your friends and relatives already know what they will get from you for birthdays and christmas, before they actually get it. 😄

• Agree 1

On 14/02/2020 at 8:03 PM, jamesc said:

Aye for sure Alistair.

Honey dew has an activity to rival Manuka.

The catch is we Dew Beekeepers have not the cohesivity to come together and chip in to fund research to prove and market.

The bigger catch is that the land available to produce Dew is way less than Manuka .... we have a very rare and select product.

From a marketing point of view .... that is very powerful.

Now .... We haven't heard from a boot for a while. 

sold two 1kg pots honey dew today for 15.00 each, some body still wants it

On 16/02/2020 at 7:07 PM, Maru Hoani said:

Should see the pole shed I built, took a year of my spare time after work and time on weekends

IMG_20200216_190217.thumb.jpg.b6aa1f67907a2c0b66bae0f9cfa657fe.jpg

could you not make up your mind what kind of shed you wanted, ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

Haha, I started with six poles and later decided to level the mound next to it and build a lean two then i saw my neighbor canter levered the front of his shed so I done the same on either side, I was building as I got the money and it cost about 15k for the materials so just went step by step but it's a fortress and a grand would of been just on the fixings

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Nice work Tommy, that's not too bad of a varroa infestation level and sounds like a great honey crop.

You will be one of those guys that all your friends and relatives already know what they will get from you for birthdays and christmas, before they actually get it. 😄

a few people come out of the woodwork to help extracting it, and bring various jars or containers, sometimes even five or ten litre buckets ;) one of my best friends passed through wellington last week, she was the one who started this whole bee thing for me, back before we'd met Murray Rixon or @tudor - she and her now partner took one five litre bucket and two two litre buckets of fresh taranaki runny honey (back-up sealed lids with duct tape and in council recycling plastic bags as even further backup) as carry-on to nelson, and now it's over the hill in @kaihoka's neck of the woods (well, not quite, over at Tui, but still in golden bay). Reasonably easy to get rid of when it's free to a good home. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kevin moore said:

The beginnings of a new thread ,

Show us yr shed ?

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

I am already well aware that I have a major case of 'shed envy' so this may be a bit of a challenge to read.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sailabee said:

I am already well aware that I have a major case of 'shed envy' so this may be a bit of a challenge to read.

Well just do whatever you have to do to relax and get the blood pressure down before you read it!

• Agree 1

I have two hives that were running all season with two queens. I planed to remove the older one however today I got a new plan to winter these two hives jusat like that.

Bottom box has the older queen and good brood and lots of bee bread + some honey(not too much).

Next is the QE, then second box with the younger queen(daughter of the older one). Lots of brood, bee bread and honey.

Third box has some brood and almost full of honey.

I plan to put treatment in all three boxes and  keep the configuration till spring. I wish to have stronger colonies in the early spring. See how this two colonies go through the winter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I have two hives that were running all season with two queens. I planed to remove the older one however today I got a new plan to winter these two hives jusat like that.

Bottom box has the older queen and good brood and lots of bee bread + some honey(not too much).

Next is the QE, then second box with the younger queen(daughter of the older one). Lots of brood, bee bread and honey.

Third box has some brood and almost full of honey.

I plan to put treatment in all three boxes and  keep the configuration till spring. I wish to have stronger colonies in the early spring. See how this two colonies go through the winter.

Good chance that the old girl might not be there in spring. It might work out...

If you want to keep both, separate them. With a board or floor. Share the honey out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1