• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mates wife went to collect what was thought to be a swam. looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔 Two armchairs dumped under some trees down a service alley in our little town. loo

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

Posted Images

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well there yah go ....

Homegrown alligator, see yah later .... 

Jus back in. from the road,

We been in the hot sun

Ridin' with a shotgun

Feeling like a someone ....

Been pulling honey from yards that were never gonna make a crop as we split the Holy Mother out of them in the middle spring, and then pulled a whole lot more nucs out of them in early  December and left them with two frames of brood . 

See yah later.

Average beekeepers can make a  living in a good site.

Today was no exception .

Two boxes of nice white honey from a two frame nuc.

Thanks ladies.

Or maybe it was Phil's staples.

Does NZ have a Poet Laureate?

R they plastic frameless excluders  you are using?  How do you find them?   

Edited by Maggie James
9 hours ago, jamesc said:

No.... but the old one got painted..

270A879C-2FB6-4005-A318-046A3B46E07D.jpeg

I like your pallet set up with the gap between hives as have found the dreaded moth likes taking a foothold in between the boxes where it’s nice n warm.. that is with single pallet lids though.. 

how do these go for truck travel? Can they pull together under load from the strops? 

Edit.. I see your lids overhang.. therefore they will be stropped tight on the truck. 

Edited by Stoney
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Where have you been? ... we missed you 

Ive been outside , the wind stopped blowing .

38 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Hi Kaihoka - Check out the last week of the Oxalic and Glycerine thread

I lost the plot with all the squabbling and drifted off the thread .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, Stoney said:

I like your pallet set up with the gap between hives as have found the dreaded moth likes taking a foothold in between the boxes where it’s nice n warm.. that is with single pallet lids though.. 

how do these go for truck travel? Can they pull together under load from the strops? 

Edit.. I see your lids overhang.. therefore they will be stropped tight on the truck. 

These are a Mark 1 pallets, made to fit some very old lids because I was too mean to buy nice lids. They work, but load and look real ugly on the truck. They are due for replacement.

The other thing of note are the straps. Made from wide black seatbelt webbing.

They came with hives we bought a few years ago off a well respected Canterbury Beekeeper, and were replaced  with the fancy Aerofast ones.

The black strapping is far superior to the stuff Aerofast uses, and one day when I have nothing to do  I plan to go visit Aerofast with a sample of a UV rotted strap and see if they can do better. 

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Those straps are wonderful.  Great for girl power when shifting hives.  I got mine from a mid Canty beekeeper.  I will send you a text, cos I saw some just lying around at an outfit last year.  

The black ones are great ... but just toooo short to put around pallets when stacked up with four honey boxes.  We ended up extending them with baler  twine ... it all got a bit messy.

6 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The black ones are great ... but just toooo short to put around pallets when stacked up with four honey boxes.  We ended up extending them with baler  twine ... it all got a bit messy.

They would of been made in the day before NZers were the most obese population on the planet.  Maybe seat belt length has changed to encompass the issue!

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

They came with hives we bought a few years ago off a well respected Canterbury Beekeeper, and were replaced  with the fancy Aerofast ones.

The black strapping is far superior to the stuff Aerofast uses, and one day when I have nothing to do  I plan to go visit Aerofast with a sample of a UV rotted strap and see if they can do better. 

I have some of these, if I’m thinking the same thing.., black strap with heavy gauge steel buckle for tensioning.. the tail must be secured well coz the cattle love chewin on them and often pull the hive over.. (singles) 

5 hours ago, Bron said:

Sleeping is hard cos it’s so hot. Most of our sites are dry as a bone and the bees are nasty Robby and knarly.

About that. I got the honey off pretty early this time and because i still got a whole lot of last seasons honey in storage I've left a box or so of honey on each hive so i don't have to buy any sugar.

But as per Bron, it's dry, and the bees are knarly and super strong. Just hoping they do not devour all the honey i have left them, between now, and winter. just have to wait and see i guess.

7 hours ago, Bron said:

Trying to catch up... Missed a whole bunch of stuff. Really busy. Sleeping is hard cos it’s so hot. Most of our sites are dry as a bone and the bees are nasty Robby and knarly. Have had more stings in the last two weeks than in my whole beekeeping experience. Got five in the same place day before yesterday and discovered a thumb sized hole by my hive tool pocket. Sewing machine out patched up. Suits dry really fast thank goodness. Too hot to wear new suit! 

Take care folks stay hydrated. 

Picture of sewing machine please 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
26 minutes ago, tudor said:

A great advantage living near Dunedin is a more effective system called opening the windows 😊

to true. 

our problem is the humidity which the air con deals with. 

at least now i don't have windows open, don't have to deal with mossies, i can keep bedding on the bed, and actually get a decent night sleep.

1 hour ago, tudor said:

A great advantage living near Dunedin is a more effective system called opening the windows 😊

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1