whats the Keeper doin...?

Applying the sun block??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Funny man eh...

whats the Keeper doin...?

Sweating. Lifting honey. Getting stung.

Hydrating. Trying to start blower. Sweating. Those bees got it easy man.

40 minutes ago, tristan said:

the problem with that is it simply does not work well.

every pinprick lets water through, every overlap lets water in and the drums end up sucking it in.

i would be surprised that they would even allow that.

My Canadian employer stored it all outside. He built simple truss like frames. Straddled the drums with them. Pulled the tarp tight. Was a drier enviro. 

Re-queening today. Bees robbing like crazy, it's years since I have seen it this bad . Using liquid smoke today but I don't think it makes much difference. I have re-queened hives like this before and it normally works out all right but working in these conditions is no fun and it was one of those days when you think- why am I doing this job..

PS. I have seen a dead dingo. It was beside an old abandoned railway stationon the old Garn railway. It's pretty dry here but it would have to be a lot drier to get as dry as that dingo was.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, john berry said:

Re-queening today. Bees robbing like crazy, it's years since I have seen it this bad . Using liquid smoke today but I don't think it makes much difference. I have re-queened hives like this before and it normally works out all right but working in these conditions is no fun and it was one of those days when you think- why am I doing this job..

PS. I have seen a dead dingo. It was beside an old abandoned railway stationon the old Garn railway. It's pretty dry here but it would have to be a lot drier to get as dry as that dingo was.

Me and the boys started pulling honey a few weeks earlier this season, we get crazy robbing with other sites only a few hundred meters apart. Especially when your last to pull honey.

• Like 1

Hives today were on a light flow. What a difference it makes to the bees. No smoke but they were completely calm as was I. A much nicer day. Hot but.

• Like 3

Wow! 🙂

• Agree 1

Is this a Kiwi long hive?

Yes, but not by intent. 😄

2 hours ago, dansar said:

looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔

how do you think you will tackle it? Rubber-band into empty frames? do you have a bee vacuum available?

Nice, quiet, productive, hybrid bees.

9 hours ago, Mummzie said:

how do you think you will tackle it? Rubber-band into empty frames? do you have a bee vacuum available?

I will definitely be using a bee vacuum to clear them off the comb. Looks like lots of honey in there too so it’s going to be an interesting process. I’m thinking that after the bees are removed from the comb I will relocate the chair to home to do the cut out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dansar said:

I will relocate the chair to home to do the cut out.

Just as well you're 6'4 and two axe handles across the shoulders, lumping that chair around..

• Haha 2

Nice straight looking combs. Now there is a trait that I would encourage! I’ve got a few wonky builders...

5 hours ago, dansar said:

I’m thinking that after the bees are removed from the comb I will relocate the chair to home to do the cut out.

Make sure you put a tarp down, getting a bit of honey on the lounge carpet would be a royal pain the the backside.. 

• Haha 3

similar story... House undergoing full refurbishment, no carpet down and they let me rip off the gib board. No batts, just void between gib and bricks.

Photo was taken part way through after I had removed two triangular combs on the left hand end.

It filled two FD boxes plus three 2L icream containers of scraps sitting above inside a third FD box. Took 3 hours.

The stud spacing of central bit was slightly less than a frame and I cut nice rectangles that fitted in directly. Four combs deep all parallel and flat. Two frames vertically with only 100mm strip of surplus honey left to tidy up. I put the hive outside, blocked the entrances in the bricks, sprayed the inside of the bricks with bee quick and hung a curtain so bees were not drawn to main window that does not open. Looks like a November swarm that had become fully established. Large unmarked queen was found in middle of the lounge floor, walked straight into hive. Bees continue to bank up on the outside of the house at the blocked entrances but most are happily using new hive underneath. I'll leave it until Friday and move it out at night.

Didn't use my bee vac, all went smoothly. A bit of honey on the floor and dead bees, but did my best to avoid carnage.

imagejpeg_2.jpg.e655eb59c082a114aec815d67790adb3.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dansar said:

I will definitely be using a bee vacuum to clear them off the comb. Looks like lots of honey in there too so it’s going to be an interesting process. I’m thinking that after the bees are removed from the comb I will relocate the chair to home to do the cut out.

You should leave the bees in and then charge people for a "Massage" in the bee chair, like you see in the shopping malls.

• Haha 3

Yellow Rain

yellow rain.jpg

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

I am afraid I would never waste my time doing a cut out. It's just not worth the effort. Better to put your time into looking after proper hives in proper gear.It can be a fun exercise if you've never done it before but once was enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I am afraid I would never waste my time doing a cut out. It's just not worth the effort. Better to put your time into looking after proper hives in proper gear.It can be a fun exercise if you've never done it before but once was enough for me.

I totally agree with the sentiment.

I look on it more as a community service and will only avoid recommendation for poison if the situation is reasonably easy to save the colony. 

Same applies to swarms too sometimes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

Yellow Rain

yellow rain.jpg

Looks bad on my white ute, grey seems to look better with yellow rain🤣

• Haha 1

I had a thought on the way home to night ..... now that Phil's not 'ere anymore ..... what the heck we gonna talk about ??

13 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I had a thought on the way home to night ..... now that Phil's not 'ere anymore ..... what the heck we gonna talk about ??

Why bees don't drink Speights?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, jamesc said:

Have they built you a new bridge across the Selwyn yet ?