21 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Ok @jamesc   Here's the stuff.....One  X  shape each side......the stockist will have tensioners and fastening instructions make sure you follow them ie use specified nails & number of them.......https://www.miteknz.co.nz/products/bracing-products/MB/

What do you reckon about his cantilever poles at 1m deep? 

Id be inclined to brace the wells very well.

Especially across the end walls.

Thats a heavy structure and it is going to be vulnerable to lateral earthquake loads.
Brace it really well, 

Bracing can be cheap so over engineer all bracing.

One would hope the poles are H5,

H4 is not good enough but wouldn't keep me awake at night.

Edited by Philbee
  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mates wife went to collect what was thought to be a swam. looks like we’ve got a job to do this weekend.🤔 Two armchairs dumped under some trees down a service alley in our little town. loo

When I was a student in Dunedin, we opened the windows to *heat* the house !

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

Posted Images

Once upon a time the building law required that a house didn't collapse and squash the occupants in an earthquake. Now the law says the paint must not crack. 

So, I wouldn't be particularly bothered about Jame's pole holes. If it shakes so what.

12 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Once upon a time the building law required that a house didn't collapse and squash the occupants in an earthquake. Now the law says the paint must not crack. 

So, I wouldn't be particularly bothered about Jame's pole holes. If it shakes so what.

My point about cantilevered pole was in relation to severe lateral forces  in many earthquakes.

Its looks like a  moderately heavy structure and if the poles move with the ground but are not rigid enough to shift the roof at the same rate then the vertical load which is constant is in effect being carried by sloping poles.

The risk which in my view is significant given the location can be mitigated with  inexpensive wall bracing.

If one end of the shed had large doors then attention must be paid to getting effective bracing into that line.

Its all doable and cheap James and most of it is intuitive 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Philbee said:

If one end of the shed had large doors then attention must be paid to getting effective bracing into that line.

Does it need doors and end walls?  It's a dead end road, with a doggie on site, and what looks like a cavalry of young dudes with guns.  The guys mightn't be much use, cos I note they often get stuck in rivers.  

25 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Does it need doors and end walls?  It's a dead end road, with a doggie on site, and what looks like a cavalry of young dudes with guns.  The guys mightn't be much use, cos I note they often get stuck in rivers.  

Security is one issue and structural rigidity is another.

Its very easy to brace side walls but when a structure has doors in the ends or is completely open at each end then bracing is more complex.
This is because braces are often incorporated into walls.

James will be fine but he just needs to think things through carefully.

19 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Dug by hand 1200deep, got 2 mates to help me stand the 6m poles up and mixed the concrete in a wheel barrow. 

We built the big pole barn we live in in the 80s.

The poles were dug and erected by the local power board who were putting in three poles and a transformer to give us power.

We paid them a crate of beer for putting up our barn poles but $2000 to get the other poles and lines up.

• Like 1
Just now, yesbut said:

Hope you fellas washed your hands after !

Iv been building for about 10 years now and the skin on my hands peels off and my hands go a bit pink and sensitive if I handle wet tanalised timber now days. 

Just now, Maru Hoani said:

Iv been building for about 10 years now and the skin on my hands peels off and my hands go a bit pink and sensitive if I handle wet tanalised timber now days. 

It's not all bad, gives me an excuse to get out of doing dishes for a week or two😂

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Reckon that Yesbut is right - diagonal ss bracing with tensioners in each length - in recent major earthquakes, buildings sitting on piles in the ground with braced wooden framing fared way better than those sitting on slab concrete floors.

• Agree 1
10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Where's the dead dingo's @@@@

We got plenty of feed’ish .... but no stock water.

0439CEEA-70E3-4C61-9CB4-982532A876F6.jpeg

No dingos, but a dude with Black Power tattoo on his guts stopped to stare. He was walking down the road with his shirt over his head. Stood by for a while and strolled away flapping his arms about. 

It's so dry the flies are finding it hard to reproduce with the cow pat. So says farmer brown. 

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

No dingos, but a dude with Black Power tattoo on his guts stopped to stare. He was walking down the road with his shirt over his head. Stood by for a while and strolled away flapping his arms about. 

It's so dry the flies are finding it hard to reproduce with the cow pat. So says farmer brown. 

What are the bees doing ??

21 hours ago, CraBee said:

@jamesc for RMP storage you only need drums covered, put a tarpulin over the drums then strap the tarp down.  Will save you a lot of hassle.

the problem with that is it simply does not work well.

every pinprick lets water through, every overlap lets water in and the drums end up sucking it in.

i would be surprised that they would even allow that.