Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. February 2020

12 minutes ago, tristan said:

those wonderful blue boxes where already done.

no blood in the honey, but i had to clean the floor.

I had assumed you would have had blue blood.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

those wonderful blue boxes where already done.

no blood in the honey, but i had to clean the floor.

Eeww. That bad. Stitches ??

On 12/02/2020 at 6:58 PM, Sailabee said:

Pretty meaty construction going on there - is that untreated pine, or something else?

Mostly it's Oregon. The timber came from a tree block on the farm here we have been thinning over the years .

The 'funny' thing is we  are looking at planting more trees with Shane Jones to mitigate our carbon belching trucks and farting cows, but are not allowed to plant Oregon.

Shane wants pines or native.

Pines are the the most worthless farm timber you could ever grow ..... 

But I guess what Shane don't know .....  will mean we have a useful timber in forty  years time.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Eeww. That bad. Stitches ??

not quite but close. 

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

I had assumed you would have had blue blood.

its a bit late in the day for me to guess what that means.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

True ....

There is no doubt , like many beekeepers, we had some very good years on the Manuka Boom.  We    tried to invest wisely so that.  when the inevitable Black Swan crunch arrived (Philbee will correct me if I have used that term wrongly ) we had something to fall back on.

The challenge these days is "where to next  ....?"

The bees are on a go slow ..... the Chinese have turned Vegan overnight .....  

The seasoned  Grasshopper looks to the night sky , seeking a bright star that will guide the new generation through the future years , so that they too may have the opportunity to savour  the comfort that we have been priveliged to have been able to enjoy.

You arnt too far off the mark.

The Chinese President warned his men to be on the lookout for the Black Swan about the same time that the Trade war started to bite.

It was if he had a hunch that worse was to come.
So the Virus is the real Black Swan and now that its happened the danger is of the next one because the Virus is no longer hiding along our Flank, Its now front and center

What  event, possibly even just  a small one could nick with these two biggies to become the mother of all Black Swans. 

Of course one mans Black Swan could be anothers gold laying Goose.

Aaah so .....

The Golden Goose .....

Reverred Grasshopper, the Golden  Goose's eggs  sit in my shed ..... drums of Honey Dew that the humble bee has gathered from the ancient trees that clad the foothills of the Southern Alps.

A sweet nectar that soothes the throat  and heals the soul of the stress of the days slavery and hardship.

A sweet nectar that has the potency of Big Mama Manuka, but at a fraction of the price,

A sweet nectar that is not a nectar but an oozing of the life-giving forces  that gives Man the strength to persevere, 

To persevere and see beauty in a world  shrouded in fear and uncertainty,

To persevere and hold  high the light  of hope .... for all to see and be filled .... 

With love.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

A sweet nectar that has the potency of Big Mama Manuka, but at a fraction of the price,

Really! I never knew that.

Beech dew is active?

Aye for sure Alistair.

Honey dew has an activity to rival Manuka.

The catch is we Dew Beekeepers have not the cohesivity to come together and chip in to fund research to prove and market.

The bigger catch is that the land available to produce Dew is way less than Manuka .... we have a very rare and select product.

From a marketing point of view .... that is very powerful.

Now .... We haven't heard from a boot for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can you blend it? I'm guessing it is not a honey so will not mess with the chemical markers?

And oh i got a jar of your dew in the pantry, it is an awesome flavour for an iced coffee, which sure tastes good on a hot day! 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Aaah so .....

The Golden Goose .....

Reverred Grasshopper, the Golden  Goose's eggs  sit in my shed ..... drums of Honey Dew that the humble bee has gathered from the ancient trees that clad the foothills of the Southern Alps.

A sweet nectar that soothes the throat  and heals the soul of the stress of the days slavery and hardship.

A sweet nectar that is not a nectar but an oozing of the life-giving forces  that gives Man the strength to persevere, 

To persevere and hold  high the light  of hope .... for all to see and be filled .... 

With love.

Wowee.. now... I have my own wee unsaleable mountain of honeydew drums.. but reading this yarn I think I’ll place my order for some of yours! 

I have no doubt at all that your South Island honeydew has great medicinal properties. Anything that taste like that has to be medicinal.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Aaah so .....

The Golden Goose .....

With love.

How do you fit it all under your bed? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Aaah so .....

The Golden Goose .....

With love.

Ahh, so you are making Mead too

Imagine an Active alcoholic beverage.

The potential is unlimited

Carbonated of course

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Aye for sure Alistair.

Honey dew has an activity to rival Manuka.

The catch is we Dew Beekeepers have not the cohesivity to come together and chip in to fund research to prove and market.

The bigger catch is that the land available to produce Dew is way less than Manuka .... we have a very rare and select product.

From a marketing point of view .... that is very powerful.

Now .... We haven't heard from a boot for a while. 

Perhaps he is testing his honey to see if it can cure the corona virus, if so, your shed will be empty in no time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, john berry said:

I have no doubt at all that your South Island honeydew has great medicinal properties. Anything that taste like that has to be medicinal.

I do not know how james can be so fulsome in his praise of beech honey dew and be so critical of buckwheat .

They are on par for taste .

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I do not know how james can be so fulsome in his praise of beech honey dew and be so critical of buckwheat .

They are on par for taste .

I shall send you some and let you be the judge ..... if you like ..... if the bees made any buckwheat ...

• Thanks 1

I’m gonna bore Yesbutt with some more photos, but knowing he is also a builder of repute ....  how the heck do you put some rigidity into the truss system?

Does it tighten up when the wriggly tin goes on?

4B99EC4E-0F44-4C61-A258-E0B71E8BB536.jpeg

Strap each roof plane with multiple strands of HT fence wire or preferably steel strapping like this pattern "X" 

Make sure that your portal posts (wall post) are deep enough to resist horizontal  loads (wind and earthquake) 

Would be a very good idea to strap brace some of the walls as well.

Google it

How to brace a shed

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

That.

Do not rely on the tin holding it together.

13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

James is going to look at that Doc and be no better off.
His shed is so remote from the code that he needs practical advice.

Im sure you can do a bit better without incriminating yourself 

How deep are those poles in the ground and do they have a foot on them?

The Buck stops with the foundations

• Agree 1

Huh ..... just following the construction techniques of other sheds in the yard .....holes drilled to 1200, set in Crete, materials sourced from Mother Nature and ITM.

What could possibly go wrong ?

• Haha 3

The hardwood power poles holding up my veranda had to have a cube of concrete each footing...  when I queried the seemingly endless amount required was informed it was to counter lift from very high wind zone we live in.. 

it all starts at the bottom.. 

• Agree 1